Germinating help with peat pellets

• Thread starter Tylerjones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tylerjones

Tylerjones

I am practicing germinating with peat pellets with some cheap seeds before I start my autoflower.
I started by soaking the seeds for 5 hours.
I got the pellets nice and moist, popped the seeds in to the pellets about 4mm deep. I placed the pellets (3 count) on to a upside down clear bottom container (9"x13") [and dome is 5 inches tall]) with the lid on a germinating heat mat on the ground in my bed room the dome is sealed with no ventilation, there is big windows in my room so they exposed to light duringday time.
I left them sit for 24 hrs, when I checked them, they was dry but the dome was moist.
What am I doing wrong? Is the dome to big for 3 peat pellets? Do I have to keep the dome in dark room? If so could just throw a bath towel over the dome to block light to keep it still in my room? Do I need the dome ventilated or sealed?

Thanks so kindly!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am practicing germinating with peat pellets with some cheap seeds before I start my autoflower.
I started by soaking the seeds for 5 hours.
I got the pellets nice and moist, popped the seeds in to the pellets about 4mm deep. I placed the pellets (3 count) on to a upside down clear bottom container (9"x13") [and dome is 5 inches tall]) with the lid on a germinating heat mat on the ground in my bed room the dome is sealed with no ventilation, there is big windows in my room so they exposed to light duringday time.
I left them sit for 24 hrs, when I checked them, they was dry but the dome was moist.
What am I doing wrong? Is the dome to big for 3 peat pellets? Do I have to keep the dome in dark room? If so could just throw a bath towel over the dome to block light to keep it still in my room? Do I need the dome ventilated or sealed?

Thanks so kindly!
Here is what I usually do.

Soak seeds in distilled water for 16-18 hrs. Then I take 4 sheets of paper towel and fold in half then half again so it's like 4 sheets stacked. Take 2 dinner plates place the paper towel on one wet the paper tower and fold open and make sure there is no pooling water. Tilt the plate so any excess water runs off. Place the seeds on the open paper tower then fold over so seeds are covered with no air gaps. Place the 2nd plate face to face with the first. If using a heat mat put a tower over it and place the plates on it. Check every 12 hrs. When the tap roots are about 1/2" soak the peat pellets and plant about 1/2-3/4" deep tap root down. Make sure to close the hole after. Should sprout within a day or 2. If using a dome keep the vents open. Seedlings have roots unlike clones so personally unless it's dry I would not use a dome. They won't need any feed for the first week or so and need very little light at first.

Alternatively soak for 16-18 hrs then plant pointed side down in peat pellets.

The pellets should never be wet or dry. If you need to remoisten use a spray bottle and mist the sides until it's moist.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I never have problems at all been using them for ever One Drop .

E750FB26 7D73 41E0 85DB C33A65A00F2B
chemistry

chemistry

I too, am a converted Root Riot head for seeds and cuttings, and its nice stuff to work with.

Tylerjones

Tylerjones

Thank you guys for the help. I'm gonna try soaking for 18hrs then the paper towel trick, once the root taps throw her in a pellet, but I am gonna try just pellets to, I'm guess I need to get a spray bottle to moisten them up. I poured more water on them not knowing better. From my understandings, since these are autoflower seeds after they tap I really should throw them in their final planter. Is that suggested or is doing the transplant process suggested?

quirk

quirk

I transfer my Jiffys' to final pot day after sprout to give roots room to roam. 1st pic is taproot out of bottom of Jiffy
day after sprout.

IMG 20200318 183105698
IMG 20200318 183150524 HDR
IMG 20200318 183622125 HDR LI 3
Top Bottom