Germinating seeds in rapid rooters & constantly overwatering or underwatering

• Thread starter mortyb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mortyb

mortyb

I'm having a real tough time germinating seeds. I soak my rapid rooters in RO water overnight, drop the seeds in and place in a humidity dome under a seedling mat. I can always get them to sprout, but can't keep their roots healthy beyond that.

I was told to wait until they had a few roots showing before transplanting to a solo cup, but I'm either constantly overwatering them (brown roots) or underwatering them (rapid rooter gets bone dry and hard).

At what point should you remoisten the rapid rooter? I'm having a difficult time finding that sweet spot

ru knuts

ru knuts

I germinate in a paper towel until the tap root come out the shell. If your putting them directly into the root riot cubes you want them moist, not wet. I'd be looking at the color of the cube when moist they are black, when dry they are brown. It only takes maybe a teaspoon at a time to keep them moist.
Are you squeezing most of the water out of them before you put the seeds in them?
What temp are you keeping the cubes?
I think you want ~77 degrees.
Are you giving them light?
They don't need light, cover the dome with a towel and spray the dome to keep humidity high. Close the vents if opened on the dome.
Put the seed just below the top of the cube, make sure it's covered, take a small piece from the bottom of the cube to cover the seed of need be. Don't press it in, just gently tuck it in.
It doesn't take much water to go from just right to to much.
And no nutrients at this point.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm having a real tough time germinating seeds. I soak my rapid rooters in RO water overnight, drop the seeds in and place in a humidity dome under a seedling mat. I can always get them to sprout, but can't keep their roots healthy beyond that.

I was told to wait until they had a few roots showing before transplanting to a solo cup, but I'm either constantly overwatering them (brown roots) or underwatering them (rapid rooter gets bone dry and hard).

At what point should you remoisten the rapid rooter? I'm having a difficult time finding that sweet spot
I find rapid rooters too wet to start seeds

Edit: after they sprout why not just plant them directly into the medium? That's what I do, works every time, good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom