Germination question about using Rapid Rooters

• Thread starter Homestd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Homestd

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but have been growing a while. I use Rapid Rooters after germing with the paper towel method. I've never given my seedlings any fertilizer, but I have some Dr. Earth 2-2-2 that I've been using until I got my fish emulsion 5-1-1. I was thinking of moistening the rapid rooters with some weak 2-2-2. Is this a bad idea? If so, how large should they be before adding nutriments (5-1-1)? Thanks for your help.

H

Homestd

Most say that seedling do not need any fert until the first or second set of true leaves.

Here is a study from UMass on bedding plant seedlings ppm requirments:
https://ag.umass.edu/greenhouse-floriculture/fact-sheets/fertilizing-bedding-plant-seedlings

Fertilizing Your Seedlings
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/gardening-while-isolated-fertilizing-your-seedlings

Not cannabis specific but relevant.
Thanks Wool, that is good reading. When you mix your nutrients with water, should you check the pH of the mixture?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

The best way to germanate a seed is to put them in a cup of warm water I put a couple drops of Botanacare pro grow in water, put in warm dark space till seeds sink, then put a generic paper towel on plate, I say generic bc some high end brands add scent and bounty will suck up the water, put beans on paper towel on plate put another towel to cover it and use the leftover water in cup, wet beans drain and put in dark warm spot a good bean will germinate in 24 hours and pop in 48 a 72 hour process, this is my opinion only there your beans do as u see fit. Keep an eye on them so they don't dry, use the water from cup to re wet and drain, again my opinion but I have a 99% germination rate.

H

Homestd

The best way to germanate a seed is to put them in a cup of warm water I put a couple drops of Botanacare pro grow in water, put in warm dark space till seeds sink, then put a generic paper towel on plate, I say generic bc some high end brands add scent and bounty will suck up the water, put beans on paper towel on plate put another towel to cover it and use the leftover water in cup, wet beans drain and put in dark warm spot a good bean will germinate in 24 hours and pop in 48 a 72 hour process, this is my opinion only there your beans do as u see fit. Keep an eye on them so they don't dry, use the water from cup to re wet and drain, again my opinion but I have a 99% germination rate.
Thanks Edinburg, except for the Botanacare soak, that's pretty much the way I do mine.

Rockin_Wool

Rockin_Wool

When you mix your nutrients with water, should you check the pH of the mixture?
Yes add ph adjustment after adding the other nutrients.

Order of mixing also matters.

You go from least soluble to most soluble. It's harder to dissolve things when there's already "stuff" in there.

So depending on your brand and mix it will be specific to your situation but for instance:

If you are using silica add it first.

In the GH 3 part lineup add
Micro
Grow
Bloom

Fulvic/Humic last.

Check and adjust ph.

I am sure there are other ways, but this one works well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom