Germing 10 year old seeds

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
I might be able to come across some nice 10 year seeds thanks to a special friend :happy:

anyone got any tips to maximize the germ rate on the old babys?

F

frenchfarmer

i have a solution, u can send me those :p
or scratch a little ur seeds where the germ will pop, before watering 24h...

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

re

yea like frenchy says...if they dont germ then u can slice a little cut on the side with a sculpul....soaking in room temp water works good
regards
MG

D

dna genetics

I might be able to come across some nice 10 year seeds thanks to a special friend :happy:

anyone got any tips to maximize the germ rate on the old babys?

good luck if its the same friend that has given us many of those old seeds to!

and once we got one to grow! and we ended up with the 21 week haze! the shit keeped flowering for 3 crops. we did not keep her though.

1.carbonated water drop of superthrive
2.water and superthrive
2.scuffing the seed with light sandpaper like on a matchbook

just a few things we have tried over the years

H

HOT CARGO

keep germination at 80F + ,low temp will slow things down for sure.

peace

Kuntjoose

Kuntjoose

yeh man germing old really aint no thing if they were stored nice and cool and dry. Just give em a good scuff with some sand paper and soak in some water till they crack. if they dont crak try to sand the ends of the seeds till u can see inside and soak overnight then to paper towels. The superthrive is a good addition. good luk gettin em to germ man.

F

frenchfarmer

hey logic ,how r u man? what about thoses seeds?????

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

hey man the temp is the key..try this... pop some in the deep freeze for 24 hours..trick them that the winter is over..beans are smart and will race to gro if they feel spring coming.. then germ them with a drop of super thrive..keep a close eye on the temp for the first 36 hours.. keep them moist all the day not wet so go easy on them with spray.. keep the temp to 24 C and 50% H .. thats not easy to do so pick a good week to germ.. not too hot not too cold..I like to use cotton wool over paper towels as the seeds get a nice bed in the wool and the paper will dry out too fast... good luck man hope they crack

F

frenchfarmer

for a future life, I want to be a seed in devilharvest's garden ^^

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
this worked well for me i am gonna use it again real soon here too for more of my old roadkill skunk beans.

Take a large wide mouth mason jar and fill with water.

add

1 teaspoon 3% Hydrogen peroxide
1 teaspoon mollasses(organic unsulphered)
1 teaspoon B vitamin/seaweed solution
Drop in the seeds

set up a small bubbler system and aerate the solution with a 1 inch stone.Cover the jar top with saran wrap and an elastic band

I like to sit the aerated jar on top of the flouros of the cloning shelf so that the temp hits 75-80F

As soon as you see the seed crack take it out and plant it in a STERILE medium,feeding it with B vitamin solution at the rate of 5ml/gal

S

Sonic Seeds

Breeder
Supporter
we got some 1990 super seeds and 82 lambs seeds , all though not all germ most do .
i am old school , i ahve found planting strait into compost seems to be the best way , i do this because i have lost so many old seeds to rot in water and tissues , in the soil they can take 3 or 4 weeks but the soils living , and keeps um from rotting .....
i dont let the soil get to warm .
the scuffing technique really works , some shells are so hard and old , i have seen seeds germ but cant get out of there shells so i guess some kind of wetting softning technique would really help ...

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
logic, did you get any of those old seeds to grow ??? just wondering.... up-date for us if you get a chance !!! what kind of seeds are they ??? any pictures ?? monkey5

M

Mosca Negra

Breeder
Supporter
Logic-- like Adam said, you can "Scarify" the seeds. Scarification is sanding the seam, of the seed, that joins the two sides of the seed together. Also I germ seeds in fine coco with ph'd water and just a touch of Canna nutes and some b1 (very mild).

I just got an 83% germ rate from some 8+ year old Warlock seeds given to be by Gerrit! I am looking for some old school keepers in this bunch!!

Good Luck

D

doubleds

warmth

I just germed my last 10 sssc williams wonder seeds, 9 out of 10 germed. I use a plate w paper towel and a plate inverted overtop the first plate then i sit them on top of my surround sound stereo, nice and warm. I got those seeds in 1989 so thats a very good germ rate me thinks.

peace

S

Sonic Seeds

Breeder
Supporter
I just germed my last 10 sssc williams wonder seeds, 9 out of 10 germed. I use a plate w paper towel and a plate inverted overtop the first plate then i sit them on top of my surround sound stereo, nice and warm. I got those seeds in 1989 so thats a very good germ rate me thinks.

peace

cant get better than that mate , good germ rate .

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
logic, did you get any of those old seeds to grow ??? just wondering.... up-date for us if you get a chance !!! what kind of seeds are they ??? any pictures ?? monkey5

They were 10 year old kali mist seeds and i didnt grab them off my friend..next time i see him i will :happy:

Top Bottom