Get rid of water leaves in flower?

• Thread starter CoughingMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CoughingMan

I am at the start of 5th week flower. Up to this point I have not removed any leaves that dont look severly damaged.

One of my growing buddies said I need to get rid a lot of the bush to direct energy to the buds, but I thought it would be better to let things run their course.

Also I have noticed in a lot of photos of peoples bud in flower they are not nearly as bushy as mine.

But at the same time I have this Jorge Cervantes book that says getting rid of any water leaf that is not at least 50% damaged is a waste and in fact will stunt the growth?

I will post pictures tomarrow.

anyway, whats your take on this?

This isnt a recent pic, bout 3 weeks old, but gives you an idea of how bushy they are.

plants_web_1-6.jpg

:harvest:

U

ukgirl420

imo i would not get rid of the water leaves ,,,what will your buds feed off
i only remove ones that fall off naturally ,,the fan leaves will turn yellow and die when your plant has finnished using up all the goodness in them ,,

you could allways move them to one side to allow the light to get to the buds more ,evenly ,,:rollj:

nice ladies btw :tongueout

C

CoughingMan

I will post new pics tomarrow that will be current. If you look at my gallery there is a few bud shots that are only a couple days old.

thanks for input! I like to let them do their thing also.

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

IMO I would remove leaves only if there affecting the amount of light that is able to penetrate through the plant,I usually thin mine out a bit once I can see that the lower nugs are being covered by large fan leaves,If you feel your plant is getting good enough light all the way through,then let it do it's thang

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

IMO you should thin out your plant, especially if it is Indica. The fan leaves on indicas tend to be big, and are worth cutting of in order to get light to the bud sights. If you leave them on you will most likely get much more larfy bud

K

KrazyDan

I stand over the plants and take off the inside fan leaves that block light once around the 3rd veg week and again during 2nd week flowering.Depending on the strain this can be just a few leaves here and there or a full haircut. IMO this greatly increases budding sites that would be just crap otherwise as well as makes manicuring easier in the end.Either way the plants seem to take right off afterward.

KD

yezmar420

yezmar420

I stand over the plants and take off the inside fan leaves that block light once around the 3rd veg week and again during 2nd week flowering.Depending on the strain this can be just a few leaves here and there or a full haircut. IMO this greatly increases budding sites that would be just crap otherwise as well as makes manicuring easier in the end.Either way the plants seem to take right off afterward.

KD

That's funny..I pretty much use the same tactic...once right before flower then another time 3rd or 4th week in....

H

HNIC

i don't remove leaves unless they are unhealthy and using up the plant's energy. the way i look at it is they are the solar panels for the plant, so why remove something beneficial? i do tuck leaves that are in the way of bud sites, but i don't remove them.

K

KrazyDan

. the way i look at it is they are the solar panels for the plant, so why remove something beneficial?
I truly believe that a little trim simulates some animal feeding on the plant which in turn kicks the plant into overdrive....happens every time! I can't explain it but i've seen it happen again and again

KD

D

d420

Premium Member
Supporter
For info purposes only, I did a little test once.. I saw a thread on another site stating that you get higher yields with removal of fan leaves.. The guy was pretty convincing, but as you stated, I also have that jorge book and he really encourages you not to do that.. Anyway, I took 2 cuttings from the same mom and took fan leaves off 1 and did not touch the other.. The one I left the fan leaves on yielded about 30% more.. I was actually surprised, the guy on the other site was super convincing with pics and all. Did not work or me, but could have been the strain or style, who knows.. All I know is that if I had that problem, i would get some stakes and twisty ties, and do tucking and training as opposed to taking the fan leaves off...

M

Malachi

But at the same time I have this Jorge Cervantes book that says getting rid of any water leaf that is not at least 50% damaged is a waste and in fact will stunt the growth?

Has this guy ever grown a plant? Some of the shit he says is just ignorant.

S

scoobydoo

It depends how your training/growing the plant. Every variable can change what works best. If I can I will tuck and move my plants leaves around but imho some trimming is needed. I personally look at what the leaf blocks and weight the difference in the energy getting to the plant. Its very strain dependent, I've removed almost none on some and leave almost nothing on others. Yield loss/gain depends on the strain but most will go down slightly but imho the improved uniformity and quality is worth it. The best thing is to clone and try it yourself with each strain.

F

fatfarmer

on out door grows keeping water leaves thined out is eazy. indoors i lst till buds start growing good. then less BIG fan leaves give me full buds to the top, and that's me. i'v got little space 2x2sq ft. 5ft tall and 2ft are for lights. works for me.:weed-sign::passingjoint:

P

pharmaseed

some one should do a case study and figure out this myth once an for all lol

N

nor cali farmer

i removed fan leaves and growth slowed to a crawl. so i leave them alone just as nature intened. peace thc joe

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I leave all leaves on the plant after I change to flowering, I use stakes and ties and move the buds to get the best light but don't take any leaves off untill they are ready to fall off the plant. The more fan leaves the more light that can be taken in and make food for the plant. I have also harvested the top of my plant before and left the bottom to finish a few weeks longer.

OGReggieBUSH777

OGReggieBUSH777

make sense to leave them alone but im glad i did get a different view point

S

sunsimulator

i do not trim any leaves off plants! This is the SOLE reason we been feeding them in the first place ,to store food needed for flowering. IT's like this , if your a builder of houses , and i come to the job site and start cutting off your arms ,, and legs ,, we'll u pretty much won;t be able to build the house ,, U use your arms and legs to get the job done! plants use their leaves and stems to get the job done! just my thoughts .

oh to add ! the penetration of the canopy depends on the HID lights used ,, i think a 1000 watter can penetrate down 4 ft of the canopy , 600 i think 3 ft ,, 400 i think 2 ft , if u have leaves in the penetration zone of the hids the light will go threw and charge the underlying leaves.
means light will go threw the upper canopy and as deep as the light travels depends on the wattage.

V

venom666budz

I have to disagree with just about everything you posted...

I Always take of large fan "shade" leaves twice during flowering. During week 2,

V

venom666budz

Ok, ill finish...... Anyways, at week 2 of flower, after the plant has been successfully triggered and starts producing alot of chutes, I will remove all chutes in the middle of the plant, close to the stalk, and at the bottom of the plant, as well as remove most of the large "shade" leaves at the top and middle of the plant. I remove all growth on each branch, about 6 inches from the stalk to concentrate growth to the ends of the branch where the largest flower growth occurs. This will eliminate the larfy, useless, underdeveloped flowers that rob the main flowers of energy and food. I remove larger leaves and whatever undergrowth remains at the onset of week 5. This can cause shock, so as a precaution, use Superthrive with your normal nutrient regimen..
I understand the main purpose of the leaves, and their funtion for the plant, but here is my rebuttal and explanation for my theory: #1.. Yes, leaves can be accurately be decribed as "Solar Panels" because they do absorb the light for photosynthesis. But, by removing the larger leaves at the top of a plant, more direct light reaches the lower areas of the plant, reducing the need for larger leaves on the lower areas to absorb light. They wont be fighting for life like a seedling tree under a forest canopy. The less larger leaves a plant has to have to reach for light, the less energy is used by the plant to grow/maintain these leaves, and the more energy is directed to the desired area, the flower. I use Dutch Master Saturator and Liquid Light as a foliar spray, from veg to week 4 flower to increase light absortion through the remaining leaves, and have got great results.
#2... Food storage for plants..Yes, I get it. The plant stores food in the leaves, and as evidenced by leaves that turn yellow and die, the plant feeds from its leaves. BUT, on a nutrient regimen, you are feeding a plant. Many of the nutrients I use contain sugars, complex sugars and agents that help break down the food for better plant absortion. I rarely ever have yellow or dying leaves from the plant feeding off of itself, because I have a pretty complete, but simple nutrient regimen, that at each stage, feeds the plant what it needs.
By all means, dont strip the plant. Leave any leaves, especially in the middle of the plant, that arent shading a flower. The more energy that is being wasted on large leaves, and small chutes "budsuckers", the less energy goes to the desired area: The Flower! ... If your plant NEEDS to feed off of
itself, then you need to get a better nutrient regimen. Take time to learn what is the function of the nutrients you use, and what other building blocks you need for your plants, and the beneficial enzymes/bacteria in your soil to maximize plant absortion and usage of those expensive nutrients that your using... This is a process that I have developed over the last decade and a half of both indoor and outdoor growing in the Emerald Triangle, Far Nor California, and it works great for me. Hope it helps someone out there. As far as the nutes I use? Dont ask me no questions, and I wont tell you no lies! Thats a trade secret

Top Bottom