Getting greener--substitute for perlite

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
During my endeavor to supply myself with decent weed, I found myself working a different sort of value set and paradigms. Things I didn't care about, thought little of or considered of little consequence I have examined more closely.

And so, one of my rituals of growing--adding perlite to anything I mix up. Be it coco coir or soil, I tend to want perlite in it. Why? Extension of a more expensive growing medium, increasing permeability, air spaces, and lightening the mix are all reasons why I've continued to use perlite.

But there are some caveats with using this product. It gets dusty, sourcing can be a problem, especially if you're looking for a specific type of perlite. And then there's the fact that it is mined and thusly, nonrenewable, nevermind the processing issues.

I want something that will jive better with my ideas about growing using coco coir, a product that is not only entirely renewable, but provides good work and income for people in some of the poorest nations on earth, many of which happen to lie in equatorial, tropical locations that are perfect for growing the coconut.

And so, I found myself looking at RICE HULLS. A couple of years ago a friend mentioned using them in place of perlite, but where the hell am I gonna find rice hulls? Never gave it another thought, seemed mildly interesting but that was it. Now, I can't find the perlite I want(ed) locally, and damn if I'm gonna pay to have it shipped.

Rice hulls, however, are a fantastic alternative, for many reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that they are an agricultural byproduct, and thusly are going to be created practically in perpetuity. They seem to require little processing additional to what's needed to make food, are low-dust (which is why they're being used for animal bedding), and will eventually break down into the soil or medium.

Sourcing was proving to be an issue, I've been searching agricultural suppliers and the only places I found that even offered them only did so in large bulk orders (tons). Far too much for me to handle at this time. More reading, more reading, and I found that they're being used as animal bedding, which naturally gave me an idea.

A single phone call later and I'm on my way to get my first bales of rice hulls. Get this--best price on larger particle perlite (not chunky) that I've found is $21/4'cu. An 8'cu bale of rice hulls at my local feed store are regularly $6 and are on sale at this moment for $4/bale.

That's TWICE the volume for a FRACTION of the price, a renewable product at that.

The Program, this is another way to get with it.

F

frostedlove

Very awsome

During my endeavor to supply myself with decent weed, I found myself working a different sort of value set and paradigms. Things I didn't care about, thought little of or considered of little consequence I have examined more closely.

And so, one of my rituals of growing--adding perlite to anything I mix up. Be it coco coir or soil, I tend to want perlite in it. Why? Extension of a more expensive growing medium, increasing permeability, air spaces, and lightening the mix are all reasons why I've continued to use perlite.

But there are some caveats with using this product. It gets dusty, sourcing can be a problem, especially if you're looking for a specific type of perlite. And then there's the fact that it is mined and thusly, nonrenewable, nevermind the processing issues.

I want something that will jive better with my ideas about growing using coco coir, a product that is not only entirely renewable, but provides good work and income for people in some of the poorest nations on earth, many of which happen to lie in equatorial, tropical locations that are perfect for growing the coconut.

And so, I found myself looking at RICE HULLS. A couple of years ago a friend mentioned using them in place of perlite, but where the hell am I gonna find rice hulls? Never gave it another thought, seemed mildly interesting but that was it. Now, I can't find the perlite I want(ed) locally, and damn if I'm gonna pay to have it shipped.

Rice hulls, however, are a fantastic alternative, for many reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that they are an agricultural byproduct, and thusly are going to be created practically in perpetuity. They seem to require little processing additional to what's needed to make food, are low-dust (which is why they're being used for animal bedding), and will eventually break down into the soil or medium.

Sourcing was proving to be an issue, I've been searching agricultural suppliers and the only places I found that even offered them only did so in large bulk orders (tons). Far too much for me to handle at this time. More reading, more reading, and I found that they're being used as animal bedding, which naturally gave me an idea.

A single phone call later and I'm on my way to get my first bales of rice hulls. Get this--best price on larger particle perlite (not chunky) that I've found is $21/4'cu. An 8'cu bale of rice hulls at my local feed store are regularly $6 and are on sale at this moment for $4/bale.

That's TWICE the volume for a FRACTION of the price, a renewable product at that.

The Program, this is another way to get with it.

cant wait to see how it all turns out.......
WAY TO GO!
I love it!

ALFALFA was awsome! thanks again

T

Tesseract

Nice info Seamaiden! I am 100% coco this round, but agree with your thoughts about stretching the medium out ect...

I hope it works out better then the perlite and ill join the bandwagon!

T

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

I tend to have the same problem,very interested to see your results!!

420king-MASSES

i would love to see you document a grow or 2 using the rice husks seamaiden///also i dont see why [if getting perlite is an issue] you dont recycle your perlite it doesnt lose its composure or airy-ness

Blaze

Blaze

Rice hulls are good stuff. Cheap, effective, waste product of another industry, and they even provide a little potassium silicate when used in the growing medium. This is the type I've been using:

http://www.riceland.com/coproducts/pbh.asp

For alternatives to drainage in soil, rocks and what is called contractor sand, which is small rocks, not really sand, also work very well. They do not break down into dust like perlite, and they provide minerals for your soil biology.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Good job SM for doing research on this. My only question is have you PH'd the runoff of the rice hulls? Or the PPM's? I alway's have to question things. It sounds a hell of a lot cheaper than Perlite.
Speaking of Perlite, most shops around where I live started carrying this super crappy large size perlite that would crush if you looked at it. Most stopped carrying Fox Farm's chunky perlite. I asked why? I was told it is cheaper.
'

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Haven't done anything with them yet, just got the bales home this afternoon and I decided to expand my last bale of coco coir and try it from scratch.

8'cu @ $4apiece x 2 (but they gave me a broken bag for free) = some fraction of the cost of perlite (appx. $21-$26/4'cu up here).

I'll do a test of pH and run-off of the rice hulls alone, Smokey.

There have been production problems with perlite over the summer. I do plan on reusing what I can, but once it breaks down into the sandy texture there's not much worth recovering, in my opinion. And, this last batch of coco I mixed with much less perlite in it and I'm liking that better, perlite makes a mess when mixed in the coir.

As Blaze mentioned, they can help provide a "soft" source of potassium silicate, which is another good thing, especially if I can drop the additional silica from my feeding regimen.

Speaking of Blaze, I'm sitting her smoking the results of a cross he made and sent home with my husband that is, as yet, unnamed, but should be. Mendo Purps x Grape Krush, this stuff is solid purple (in the grinder it looks almost black) throughout the nug, and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing purple trichomes (new thing to me). Very, VERY tasty my friend, thanks again!

Blaze

Blaze

Glad you guys are liking Sea, always cool to see people enjoying some of my work =)

Purple trichromes, though not all that common in my experience, do pop up from time to time. Always a nice surprise when they do hehe. In the past I've seen them on DJ Short's strains, like the Flo.

Curious to see how the rice hulls work out for ya. Personally, I hate perlite. I think you will be quite happy with the other alternatives you can use in it's place.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Alright, I've got some data to share regarding uS/ppm and pH measurements of the rice hulls over time. I have a barrel full of rainwater that I'm using for feeding, so that's what I used for the test.

I used a ratio of 3:1 rainwater/rice hulls because using an equal ratio didn't give me enough liquid to work with (in other words, I can see why it's used for animal bedding). I did *not* rinse the hulls, I only added water, bubbled for five minutes, waited for it to settle, stirred before each measurement and took the measurements directly, without straining the water from the hulls.

Initial parameters:
32 uS/16ppm (.5 conv); pH 7.63

I then soaked the hulls and tested over time, stopping at 30 minutes. Results are as follows:
05 minutes: 285 uS/(forgot to measure ppm); pH 7.85
10 minutes: 323 uS/161ppm (.5 conv); pH 7.81
25 minutes: 354 uS/177ppm; pH 7.86
35 minutes: 374 uS/187ppm; pH 7.87

I stopped taking data at that point because I felt that would be when the majority of media would have drained off in a growing scenario. The soaking hulls TOTALLY feel like shrimp shells! And they stick to your hands and everything else, kind of a pain. Shouldn't be too bad as long as they're not floating in water.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Right on, I want to try these. Next round I am going to, no doubt. Thanks for the info folks. Always looking for the cheapest route in this game without sacrificing any quality.

Peace

B

Buddy Hemphill

thats cool sea...

please post results as you see them! I am a few weeks from reloading and I HATE perlite. I would like to try this if it works.

props for stepping up and testing it too...:nod

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Will do, right now all I have are some cuts that have been transplanted and the flower room is currently occupied, but these cuts will be being flowered out in the mix.

C

crippled1

I am not a fan of perlite either. I like to use a mix of canna coco and cocodan croutons to lighten it up.
My next run I plan to use straight croutons for a very fast draining, highly oxygenated medium that will get watered several times daily. Coming from a hydroton setup, I like to water alot and canna coco just seems to stay too wet.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dex, that link KICKS ASS. Just shared it on my fb.

K, so, one thing--there are lots and lots of viable rice seeds in this bedding. It's not really bad, but after the first couple of weeks I'm getting sprouts here and there. I could, I suppose, use a tray and grow my own rice from it, in theory at least. Anyway, it's not a big problem, Blaze mentioned to me that you can get treated hulls that won't sprout, but I've observed over the years that many plants seem to do better when they have a 'mulch' of weeds around them. So, for me these would be great to use in OD applications as well.

Plants are super-happy, but I keep forgetting to get progression photos for everyone. Had a small issue with P a couple of weeks ago, seem to have that straightened out.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Good to hear more positive points on coco. Are the hulls helping the coco dry out faster, working as a good alternative? That looks sweet.

for another option: I been thinking about using higromite as the alternative to perlite. It is available in various sizes. Mined and refined in the usa. inert organic and adds silica also. Rice hulls probably got higromite beat in price and weight. Good find.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Price, weight, and they're an ag byproduct that doesn't require mining or other treatment. That's part of the gig here, getting it renewable.

Right now they're just babies and don't have the root mass to really get the coco dried out quickly. I have a feeling it's going to work better than perlite in the end for a few reasons, but we'll have to wait and see when they go into the flower room.

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi seamaiden, here are some photos of a couple of super silver haze plants grown from seed in 70% carbonized rice hulls + 30% vermiculite by a friend from Brazil.

They were grown under a 400w hortilux and fed GH FloraNova + Calmag + Molasses (last 2 weeks of 11 weeks total).

gallery_40913_3955_53590.jpg

gallery_40913_3955_295885.jpg

gallery_40913_3955_37648.jpg

gallery_40913_3955_375621.jpg

gallery_40913_3955_217459.jpg

gallery_40913_3955_435237.jpg

Are the rice hulls you are using carbonized? I'm gonna give it a try with rice hulls and coco soon!

Top Bottom