Getting greener--substitute for perlite

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
NICE! Wow, thanks so much for sharing that. I have only just begun learning more about rice hulls, and spent a good bit of time reading through the link dextr0 shared. Since we've got snow coming in tonight and I've got some running around to do, I'm going to pop into Lowe's and see about getting the stuff to make the charcoal-making stove in his link.

Where did your friend get the carbonized hulls? Or did s/he make them?

Rice hulls + coco = 100% green, 100% sustainable and 100% renewable.

I may just whip out our granddaughter's kiddie pool and fill it with some soil and hulls, I think it would be fun to try to grow a little rice in the spring. Maybe attract a bunch of birds. Obviously, the carbonized hulls won't sprout.

C

crippled1

where's the poor kid gonna swim?
grandma, there's a tree in my pool:brokenheart

O

ookiimata

Awesome info, Seamaiden. I thanked you in the other thread, but thanks again for bringing this to my attention. Blaze, thanks for pointing out the potassium silicate info, I was about to go start googling around for just that info, so you saved me some time.

I looked for the contractor sand in the garden area at Home Depot with all the pebbles and playsand, but couldn't find it. Now I'm thinking I should have gone to the area where they have the concrete and whatnot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom