Getting Material Tested For Breeding.

• Thread starter jonb3994
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For sure. In the right hands it’s definately a great tool. It’s just in the hands of a tool it’s not ideal, haha. No worries tho I’ve read quite a bit about it. Never done it myself.

Really like the “tool” analogy. :-)

J

jonb3994

Technically you can but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s just not a good practice and if we intend to keep genetics it’s best to do it the way Mother Nature intended.

What he was referring to is stressing a plant to hermaphroditism and then collecting that pollen for use on other plants. The resulting seeds are all female. However it’s been debated for quite some time wether that is a good practice and how it can negatively affect the gene pool.

There’s a valid use for that technique but it’s not a cure all.

They say when your a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

That company is one of only a few that offer that service. In fact it’s the first I’ve seen of it so far so they may be the only game in town. I don’t think you need a return address. They send you the envelope with a prepaid address label that has their address on it. I’m pretty sure your address is nowhere to be found. So once you drop your sample in and send it off there are no identifying clues other than a serial number that you use to check the results online. So I’m prettt sure there’s no risk involved on the part of the customer.
First question) If you stress a female to herm, (I have done this) don't you only get it to just make female seeds? When I have done this I have never seen them make pollen and then seeds.

Question 2) If you are stressing a female to make seeds, to me that is just a way to keep the same genetics....When trying to make a new strain or new genetics it doesn't get me anywhere to just repeat the same genes by hermaphrodites? That was a question phrased bad sorry :/

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

First question) If you stress a female to herm, (I have done this) don't you only get it to just make female seeds? When I have done this I have never seen them make pollen and then seeds.

Question 2) If you are stressing a female to make seeds, to me that is just a way to keep the same genetics....When trying to make a new strain or new genetics it doesn't get me anywhere to just repeat the same genes by hermaphrodites? That was a question phrased bad sorry :/

You need early reversal and then collect and store the pollen to cross with.

Stress causing nanners later tends to result in weak or not viable pollen. Or none at all like you said.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Maybe they were stuck in their ways and maybe I am too. I just don’t like the path we are headed down currently and feel this is one of the main antagonists of the results we are currently getting among others.

I'm old school and have been growing for decades. The plants and strains today are like Frankenstein monsters in some respect. I'm growing most of the same Landrace Sativa plants from days past, and I have yet to see a current plant that looks anything like the old genetics. It seems just about everything is a hybrid, stands a couple of ft tall, and bushy as hell. It's like the chickens that are bred for the restaurant trade...they can hardly walk and are fully grown in less than 2 months. It's getting increasingly difficult to get a pure strain that hasn't been changed into something man made. All of my genetics are either from the original 40 year old seeds that are getting very hard to pop anymore, or from the occasional flower that pops up on a female. Luckily I still have the seeds from long ago, but it looks like it might be getting to the point that I have to use Silver to keep the genetics going without getting turned into something different.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm old school and have been growing for decades. The plants and strains today are like Frankenstein monsters in some respect. I'm growing most of the same Landrace Sativa plants from days past, and I have yet to see a current plant that looks anything like the old genetics. It seems just about everything is a hybrid, stands a couple of ft tall, and bushy as hell. It's like the chickens that are bred for the restaurant trade...they can hardly walk and are fully grown in less than 2 months. It's getting increasingly difficult to get a pure strain that hasn't been changed into something man made. All of my genetics are either from the original 40 year old seeds that are getting very hard to pop anymore, or from the occasional flower that pops up on a female. Luckily I still have the seeds from long ago, but it looks like it might be getting to the point that I have to use Silver to keep the genetics going without getting turned into something different.

Have you checked into tissue culture kits? There’s one that’s made for popping old seeds. It’s suppose to work fairly well compared to the traditional methods of germination. It might be worth a look to help preserve some of those old school strains. I know for one I’d like to make sure they stick around :-)

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

It's getting increasingly difficult to get a pure strain that hasn't been changed into something man made.

You've never grown a cultivar untouched by the human hand. Pure landrace genetics are generally trash in terms of the qualities we value. They take TONS of work to get to a useable state. Even beans from the 70s were HEAVILY worked by cultivators.

Old is not another word for better. Natural is not another word for better. The work we've done to improve the cannabis plant is just that - Improvement.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You've never grown a cultivar untouched by the human hand. Pure landrace genetics are generally trash in terms of the qualities we value. They take TONS of work to get to a useable state. Even beans from the 70s were HEAVILY worked by cultivators.
Old is not another word for better. Natural is not another word for better. The work we've done to improve the cannabis plant is just that - Improvement.

As I've said hundreds of times when people ask about the old strains. At the time, they were phenomenal compared to the Mexican that was the standard of the time. Compared to the stuff of today, they weren't too impressive at all.
I guess what I meant by landrace, is that these are the same strain that came from the 70s without being crossed back and forth with a multitude of different strains and species. The Matanuska Thunder strain is probably an African Malawi descendant that arrived via Jamaica or similar, since Indica's were not too well known back then. I would consider the Malawi or the Jamaican as Landrace since they were typically grown as a field crop (instead of a few plants) with little genetic variations. The Matanuska seems more of a new strain, at least in my opinion, even though it is fairly old as far as strains go.
Growing up, the potency steadily increased with Colombian replacing the Mexican stuff, Jamaican replacing some of the other goodies of the time...redbud replaced Colombian for a while...then came the Hawaiian buds...like the Puna buds. They seemed almost psychedelic compared to the commercial swag. The east coast didn't see much of this type of buds until a little later. When Indica became available, everything changed and some folks started growing indoors. The rest is history except the plants themselves. They are great and powerful, but they seem to lack the diversity of earlier times. Maybe that's because just about every strain nowadays is good, while there was a lot more variation back then...some were good, some were great, and some were lousy. Everything is good now.

Top Bottom