Getting more females from seed

• Thread starter frogeye
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

frogeye

I see people saying they get a high percentage of males from seed.So i figured i'd tell how i get a pretty good ratio of f/m.Out of a 10 pack i almost always get 8f 2m provided they all sprout.Remember this is just the way that i have built up confidence to keep using this method.It might surprise alot of people but i use Miracle Grow seed starting soil from the local Home Depot.Ilove the stuff for sprouting seeds.I scuff the seeds a little period regardless of the lineage.Drop the suckers in water for a couple hours then place on soil then cover with a little more soil.Sprinkle some water on top about 1/4 cup for a 20 oz cup of soil.Cover the top of the cup with some plasticwrap and put a rubberband around the top to keep moisture in.Then place directly under fluros about 2-3 inches away.Sometimes it takes sometime for all to sprout depending on the seeds.Fast forward----- all have sprouted now here is the part i find to be the most important.With the seed starting mix i use only water for about the first 2 -3 weeks depending on how they look.DO NOT overwater and keep the humidity pretty high 75% and up if u can period.I have found that when the air is dry it seems to produce high % of males.Some might think this is really lame cause it is soooo effin simple but it has worked for me for years with the same results everytime.So if i had to take a stab at what promotes more females vs males i would say it's most definately MG seed soil and high humidity at least for me. Peace Frogeye

I

IndicacannaJone

That's pretty interesting, but I'm curious if you've tried everything you've outlined with the only variation being different soil? In other words, I'm wondering if perhaps it may be the humidity, and not the specific brand of soil.

Camdawg

Camdawg

no lie just freak occur-one i once got 19 girls and one boy. ive always had good results maybe a 60/40 average of girls to boys.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea i've heard High humidity and straight 12/12 - no veg, Produces a much higher female to male ratio.

G81

M

madrus rose

once read that mj can respond in determining its sex in the 1rst couple of weeks ...one of the factors supposedly in getting a higher ratio of females to males was a medium/soil that was slightly alkaline .

That this increased female response...

G

gudkarma

this is an interesting read on increasing the odds of female seds (from RIU) :

http://www.invalid.com/advanced-marijuana-cultivation/95992-increasing-odds-female-seeds.html

I

ibTheMan

you can do these things to help make more females out your seeds=
low temp makes more females, high temps make more males.
high humidity make more females, low rh makes more males.
low grown medium moisture increases males, as does red light, blue light makes more females
and less the 18 hours light makes more females, more then 18 hours makes more males.
plants r both male and female for the first couple weeks of life.

F

frogeye

Ihave tried different soils and even rooter plugs but i've never had the same consistant results as i have had with the MG.I'LL put it in a different light,if i really want to get more males i keep the humidity down as low as i can and give em a higher phosphorus soil in the first 2-3 weeks and i can pretty much count on having a dude ranch lol.This is all based on my experience some people may have better results with a different method,this works for me with great results.In my earlier days there were times when i was a male plant magnet and looking back now it was right in front of me.But i always blamed the seeds for getting 6,7 or even higher males per pack lol.I do start my seeds however under 24 hrs of light for the first 2 -3 weeks then drop to 18 for the rest of the time until i clone.Then usually anywhere from 4-7 weeks total they start to show preflowers,i like to run sativas so it can sometimes take a little longer to show.Really boring to say the least but this method is effective hope it helps.Peace Frogeye

lazarus718

lazarus718

I don't man, it if works for you it works...I just don't think there are enough controls in place to put it down as a method for getting a higher F/M ratio. How many different seed companies have you tried out with this method? Which ones?

Latest posts

Top Bottom