Getting rid of fungus gnats during flower

• Thread starter AnOldColdSoul13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Okay so a few weeks ago my girlfriend's flowers or whatever was inside the house and i noticed a little bug with wings come to the surface when i watered her plant. I looked it up and its a fungus gnat. I removed her plants from the house immediately. I also had a water leak issue with my washing machine discharge hose, which will cause them to stay in that area as well. I got all the causes fixed. But earlier when i was feeding, it seemed like i caught something in the corner of my eye fly by me, but it was small. Assuming the obvious, i dug my finger about 1/2 inch deep into the coco in each pot (i have 3), and in one of the finger holes i saw a super tiny White larvae thing. Im assuming thats fungus gnat larvae..
Ill say this before it even gets brought up. Im definitely not over watering. Im watering once to twice a day in coco (normally once a day), i have decent amount of perlite for drainage, fabric pots, and they are elevated. Runoff also gets drained so that i avoid problems with standing water, such as gnats...
How do i get rid of these bastards? I could put sand or dry coco on top of the medium, but i feel like theyre gonna eat my roots either way if i dont get them out of there with a pesticide of some sort. Im like 3 full weeks into flower with autos. Any suggestions? Thank you

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Spray hydrogen peroxide onto the top of soil every other day for a few weeks. Sticky yellow fly traps might get the adults.
I just sprayed the coco down with peroxide. It was a bottle that was running low, so i have to get some more. The idea is to wet the top of the medium but not soak the whole thing right?

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

That won't kill them all, local ace hardware or home depot has mosquito dunks. It's just bacteria, safe for flower. Don't spray peroxide on the mosquito dunks.
Hell yeah. I have an ace down the road. I normally have to order EVERYTHING cause i live in the south in a small town lol. I'll drop by there tomorrow and see if they have any in stock

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Have you tried letting the dirt dry out till a little droopy a few times?
I havent let it dry out completely because im growing in coco, but i definitely dont water as much as some coco growers. I have a 10" fan circulating air over the canopy to keep temps down and for a few days now ive had a couple of PC fans blowing thru the lower levels of the plant, by the coco and the stalk

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I havent let it dry out completely because im growing in coco, but i definitely dont water as much as some coco growers. I have a 10" fan circulating air over the canopy to keep temps down and for a few days now ive had a couple of PC fans blowing thru the lower levels of the plant, by the coco and the stalk
Just kicked my gnats in the nuts

Top Bottom