• Thread starter jack.gh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jack.gh

GREENHOUSE SEED CO.
LAB PICTURES:

Colored seeds germination test.

Our selection process has improved through a new technique we have developed over the past years. All new batches of seeds are tested in our lab, to make sure that our germination ratio stays as high as nature allows.

seeds will be available in about 1 month

enjoy...

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

re

hi-tech!! you guys are like the chinese of breeders

B

British_Hempire

hi-tech!! you guys are like the chinese of breeders

Could not have put it better myself, the Chinese copy other people's products all the time too! lol

Just joking, I looked up this technology, it's been around since the early 90s, sounds like it could have some merit:

Seed Treatments
Author: Dr. Gregory Welbaum
Assistant Professor
Department of Horticulture
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0327

December 1994

The use of treated vegetable seeds has increased dramatically during the past 10 years. Many growers now use more expensive hybrid seeds, so they are willing to pay for treatments that will help improve performance in the field to protect their investment. Fungicide applications are one of the more common seed treatments used today. A light coating of fungicide is usually applied to the seeds coat. A brightly colored dye is sometimes added as a reminder that a fungicide has been applied. Legume seeds are frequently treated with rhizobium to improve nitrogen fixation after germination. Coating and pelleting are two widely used seed treatments, particularly with small-seeded species. Coated seeds have a thin layer of material such as clay or diatomaceous earth applied to the surface of the seed to make them larger and easier to handle. However, coating does not change the overall shape of the seed. Seeds are coated to make them easier to handle, to deliver chemicals, to improve soil contact, or to inoculate seeds with microbes The exact composition of coating material is a carefully guarded secret by the companies who develop them. Pelleted seeds are seeds that have been coated until they have a round shape. This makes seeds easier to handle and plant particularly with seeders that utilize belts with prepunched holes of a specific size. To make identification easier, coated seeds are often color-coded, so cultivars or types are not mixed at planting. One successful pelleting treatment splits upon hydration and does not pose a barrier to radicle growth or limit oxygen availability to the seeds. Another recent innovation is film coating. Many coating materials produce a lot of dust. However, film coats are made of the same materials used by the pharmaceutical industry to coat pills. These coatings are water soluble but dust free. Coated pregerminated seeds, particularly celery, are marketed by some companies in Europe. One company marketed pregerminated celery seeds in the United States during the mid-1980's. Synthetic seeds derived from tissue culture and coated in gelatinous material have been developed but are expensive, difficult to ship, have a short shelf-life, and are excessively variable for commercial use. Current research has focused on developing synthetic seeds that are desiccation tolerant and can be handled like other seeds. Although progress has been made in developing desiccation tolerant synthetic seeds, it is unlikely that they will be commercially available for many years. Primed seeds have been subjected to a controlled hydration process followed by redrying. Generally, priming reduces the time to germination and may improve the seed's ability to germinate under temperature or moisture stress. Priming does not usually improve the viability of poor quality seeds. Peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce show a greater response to priming than some other types of seeds. Since the seed law does not required that primed seeds be labeled, they seldom are. Some seed companies advertise seeds as `vigorized' instead of calling them primed. Sized seeds have been carefully sorted for large size and uniformity. In many cases, large seeds are sold at a premium, because they are often more vigorous and may produce more uniform emergence. Some growers prefer sized seeds in order to get more uniform placement when belt seeders are used. It is possible to buy seeds spaced at a specific interval on tape. The tape is buried in the ground and dissolves when wetted. `Seed tapes' are used mainly by small growers and home gardeners.

F

FastForward

Have to admit it seems gimmicky - saw the ad in Soft Secrets. If it works for you, good luck. Seems wrong coating a bean with coloured paint, no matter how much goodness that paint contains and no matter how it increases %germination. The thing for me about green, apart from the high, is that it's a natural thing....a weed that grows with light, air and nutrient. Painting them turns them into a thing of processing and not nature imho. But hey, I've no doubt some people will be "oh k3wl!!! i got red beans!! rawwwwwr" :)

J

jack.gh

its not just about presentation. that's just an extra. some people would like to grow out 5 different plants and see which one they prefer. other people cannot afford to buy a 5 pack of one strain, so now they can pitch in with friends, and buy a mix pack together....everyone can grow the plant they prefer.

the packets are also very stealth for people that worry about more than just how cool the beans are.

about the chinese....they're ussually not the one's that initiate something new.

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

jack.gh, how are you guys making 100% feminized hermie free seeds?

If I buy a pack and I get a male or hermie... Can I get sent another?

Thanks

-CS

O

ograskal

This would be great for mixed packs..I think its a great idea...~ogr

B

British_Hempire

The use of treated vegetable seeds has increased dramatically during the past 10 years. Many growers now use more expensive hybrid seeds, so they are willing to pay for treatments that will help improve performance in the field to protect their investment. Fungicide applications are one of the more common seed treatments used today. A light coating of fungicide is usually applied to the seeds coat. A brightly colored dye is sometimes added as a reminder that a fungicide has been applied. Legume seeds are frequently treated with rhizobium to improve nitrogen fixation after germination. Coating and pelleting are two widely used seed treatments, particularly with small-seeded species. Coated seeds have a thin layer of material such as clay or diatomaceous earth applied to the surface of the seed to make them larger and easier to handle. However, coating does not change the overall shape of the seed. Seeds are coated to make them easier to handle, to deliver chemicals, to improve soil contact, or to inoculate seeds with microbes The exact composition of coating material is a carefully guarded secret by the companies who develop them.

It has merit, jack, I realise you can't give away the exact composition, but can you tell us what is in the coating apart from a colouring e.g. is there a fungicide?

J

jack.gh

jack.gh, how are you guys making 100% feminized hermie free seeds?

If I buy a pack and I get a male or hermie... Can I get sent another?

Thanks

-CS

yes if you live in a country that we support, and you accurately document your grow and send us the packet back, we will replace the beans.

its a process we developed over the years at another institution if I am not mistaken. but I could not tell you exactly what the process is. i think franco said something about this over on icmag a couple of months back.

J

jack.gh

It has merit, jack, I realise you can't give away the exact composition, but can you tell us what is in the coating apart from a colouring e.g. is there a fungicide?

bh, the colored seed coating contains a anti-pathogene and a root stimulator. The root stimulator encourages the seeds to germinate easier when put in the right conditions.

the anti-pathogene prevents the seeds from going bad and it contains an anti bacterial agent.

B

British_Hempire

Good, much better than just a coloured coating for identification, look forward to seeing what folks think of this new fangled-ness 6-12 months down the line when they have been tried out by many.

B

bluegrass

I just seen the add for this in skunk, sounds like a great idea for getting multiple strains in one pack. Pretty cool!

F

FastForward

Good, much better than just a coloured coating for identification, look forward to seeing what folks think of this new fangled-ness 6-12 months down the line when they have been tried out by many.

"but they said take the blue pill"

"uuhhh...I don't think we're in Kansas no more"

I

Inuit

Nice incubator in the pics. Glad to see there is more than ID in the colors. It will be interesting

I

J

jack.gh

we'll be giving away some tester beans in the begining........ who knows, maybe we'll pick you ;-)

B

BITYmagicBeanz

bring on the multipacks .i asked many growers for over a year if they do these. and looks like there coming

S

Stackin Paper

Where's the blue 1's at or they having the same problems smarties had, lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom