Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage.

• Thread starter jdl90
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jdl90

jdl90

Hi guys I’m new here 😁

I’ve just recently potted on my girls (started in 3” rock wool cubes) and now in eco life soil using mills organic products for feed.

I’ve just put them on 18/6 and they had a huge growth spurt already. After the first week of a 4 week veg.

I’m just concerned about the size of the fan leaves. I’ve read about tucking but there’s so many that are so big that I cant see how I can even tuck any of them.

LED light is 18-19” from top of canopy and they look healthy in my opinion (this is only my third time around) so any suggestions are welcome (not just about the big leaves)

are they ok? Are the leaves too big? are thecovering too much of the lower growth? Have I give them too much neuturents so early on?

I’ll add some pics. Let me know what you think.

Critical orange punch on the left and mimosa evo on the right. (Hand for size reference 😅)

Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage
Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage 2
Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage 3
Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage 4
Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage 5
Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage 6
jdl90

jdl90

Also forgot to mention I’m limited on height so I’ve topped them already (not sure if this was the right time to do it. But they have plenty nodes beneath that dense canopy 🤣

jdl90

jdl90

Also one more thing… they’d just woke up for breakfast hence the droopiness 😁

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Also one more thing… they’d just woke up for breakfast hence the droopiness 😁
I wondered. The 4th set of leaves on my plants just grew enormous too. I just think it is a result of growing in a medium that provides plenty of nutrients as needed. I topped my at the 5th now, and it took a while for the monster leaves to come back.

A bit of a sorrow, in a way, when you realize those monster leaves may be the most likely candidates for defoliating, soon after new growth covers them.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Just a genetic trait I think. I wouldn't touch them. You can tuck them if need be, but I would leave them be and not cut them. Just a reserve of nutrients for later in flower but it also wouldn't ruin much if you did

Moshmen

Moshmen

Thanks!! Just a starter kit for now until I get a bit more knowledgable.

4ft x 2ft grow space. (6ft height)
…but have the means for a much bigger set up once I know what I’m doing a bit better.

And spider farmer SF2000 light.
Are you at 100% on the we light? I ask cuz they look a little light stress nuttin serious but

jdl90

jdl90

Are you at 100% on the we light? I ask cuz they look a little light stress nuttin serious but
Am I 100% about what mate? The height is definitely the correct, but I can dim the intensity slightly or lift it a couple inches if need be until they’re a bit more established…

Thanks.

jdl90

jdl90

Just a genetic trait I think. I wouldn't touch them. You can tuck them if need be, but I would leave them be and not cut them. Just a reserve of nutrients for later in flower but it also wouldn't ruin much if you did
They’re 2 really different strains though mate, and it happening on both of them so if definitely something I’ve done hahaha I’f it’s not going to affect anything when. I flip them then I’m happy to “leave” them 😉

I just don’t want my lower growth to suffer because the upper canopy is full.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
seriously watered too frequently, get better watering practices- soak it, than let it dry out..
looks like also feeding it too much?
what’s temp and humidity for lights on and off?
looks kinda dirty in there also, little less playing around with the plants and clean up the growing area, and leave the plants alone, probably too touchy feely.. plants can handle almost anything but the worst thing for plants is humans.,

jdl90

jdl90

seriously watered too frequently, get better watering practices- soak it, than let it dry out..
looks like also feeding it too much?
what’s temp and humidity for lights on and off?
looks kinda dirty in there also, little less playing around with the plants and clean up the growing area, and leave the plants alone, probably too touchy feely.. plants can handle almost anything but the worst thing for plants is humans.,
Thanks for reply. The place gets gutted from top to bottom after every grow, everything cleaned and wiped down. I’d just topped soil up as it had reduced after a few feeds hence why there was soil everywhere. (Now clean again)

I rarely touch the girls at all, except in later stages for defoliation. And for LST which I’m not even doing this time as I’ve opted to top them this time.

Light ON is approx 20-22degrees C
Light OFF is approx 16-18degrees C
(I have a timed heat matt for light off period as it does get cold where I am).

Humidity usually stays around 40%.

As for watering you’re probably right…

they’re in 25ltr pots, and I give them 2.5ltrs of feed every 2 days… soil is still damp when I feed.

would you suggest less feed or less often or both?

Thanks!

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

From everything I have ever read from Rosenthal to Mel Frank... Wide leaves beyond that being Indica, are induced by high humidity and over watering, low light and low temps.

When you over water the plant, it messes with transpiration, causes the plant to grow wider leaves to catch more rain so that it can get more water, which raises humidity.
Low light = plant grows wider leaves creating larger surface area so it can obtain more light.
Low temps = plant grows wider leaves to create more surface area to catch more heat.

People use stress training techniques(tying their plants, moving branches and tucking leaves) and touch the plants on a daily basis. I wouldn't worry about that. That's not the problem and has nothing to do with the way your plants look.

jdl90

jdl90

From everything I have ever read from Rosenthal to Mel Frank... Wide leaves beyond that being Indica, are induced by high humidity and over watering, low light and low temps.

When you over water the plant, it messes with transpiration, causes the plant to grow wider leaves to catch more rain so that it can get more water, which raises humidity.
Low light = plant grows wider leaves creating larger surface area so it can obtain more light.
Low temps = plant grows wider leaves to create more surface area to catch more heat.

People use stress training techniques(tying their plants, moving branches and tucking leaves) and touch the plants on a daily basis. I wouldn't worry about that. That's not the problem and has nothing to do with the way your plants look.
Very helpful
Mate, thank you very much!

It’s deffo not a light or temp issue and my humidity is fine so that tells me im watering too often!!

I’ll give it extra day between feeds and maybe another if that doesn’t quite cut it.

Thanks again 😁

I will try and post an update pic too 👍🏻

growsince79

growsince79

Thanks for reply. The place gets gutted from top to bottom after every grow, everything cleaned and wiped down. I’d just topped soil up as it had reduced after a few feeds hence why there was soil everywhere. (Now clean again)

I rarely touch the girls at all, except in later stages for defoliation. And for LST which I’m not even doing this time as I’ve opted to top them this time.

Light ON is approx 20-22degrees C
Light OFF is approx 16-18degrees C
(I have a timed heat matt for light off period as it does get cold where I am).

Humidity usually stays around 40%.

As for watering you’re probably right…

they’re in 25ltr pots, and I give them 2.5ltrs of feed every 2 days… soil is still damp when I feed.

would you suggest less feed or less often or both?

Thanks!
Overwatered and way too cold; light on- 27-28c will help

jdl90

jdl90

Got plenty of good advice here and yes I meant 100% intensity
Yep and all taken on board! Great forum!!

Yes the intensity is at 100%. I did read somewhere that it deffo should be lower for seedlings and cuts then higher for veg then 100% for flower but I have no idea on exact numbers.

11Ron11

11Ron11

I seem to be the opposite of most opinions.
I would cut all fan leaves except at the top.
Your plant will stop growing for 24hrs but then more air and light will get to the center and create new branches.
The branches create weed the leaves shade the bud and make them small there like weeds arch enemy..lol
I get they act as solar panels to harness UV and provide water and nutrients to the plant when there is a drought that is mother nature at work.
I have a tent with a light, exhaust, fan and my house has running water so no drought that's Amazon's way..lol
I'm doing my first grow and experimenting with topping and extreme trimming on a auto seems to be going good.
My next grow will definitely be a photo so I can control the veg time and I'm going to top the shit out of it while keeping lower leaves trimmed.

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

What I am noticing about LED lights....

With HPS lights, you raise the lights as the plants grow.... Right? Always keeping the lights within 18-24 inches (depending on bulb wattage)

With LED, it seems that you let the plants grow up into the light. The light stays mostly stationary.

Top Bottom