GigZ-16's Seed/Germination/Seedling Guide

• Thread starter GigZ-16
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GigZ-16

GigZ-16's Seed/Germination/Seedling Guide
by: GigZ-16

I've seen a couple first time growers ask questions about the best germination method and how to store seeds and such, so I decided to write this
for them. I'll talk about seed to seed germination to seedlings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannabis seeds - Cannabis seeds range in color from white to dark brown. The dark brown seeds are the mature seeds and should be used instead
of the white immature seeds. Rule of Thumb : The darker a Cannabis seed, the more likely it is to germinate. When buying seeds from a SeedBank, they will
usually all be dark brown and matured, but if your reading this guide, chances are you are still learning the basics so you shouldn't be worried about
expensive seeds, and be worried about finding the best bag of Cannabis in you area to obtain seeds. I personally save all the seeds from exotic bags of
Marijuana I get, such as Chocolate Thai, Skunk or Citrus bud.
A simple test to see if bagseed are mature enough is to squeeze them in-between your fingers with a moderate amount of pressure, if they pop or
crack rather easily they should not be used. Unfortunately, this technique takes time to get the perspective of how much pressure to use, so you may go
through a few seeds before you get it down. If your breaking every seed with ease chances are you need to lighten up on them.
When Cannabis seeds are stored away properly, they can stay good for several years. When stored incorrectly they will not germinate when you
would like them to. Proper storage consists of a dark, dry area with the absence of any light. Some growers airtight seal bag seeds and place them in
freezers. they can last in there for years.

Germination is defined as the process in which a plant begins growing after a period of dormancy. Most people prefer to do this by providing the
best conditions indoors before planting in soil, hydro or aero. The basic things a seed <i>needs</i> to begin growth is moisture and darkness. Although
seeds may be germinated with only these two things, most growers prefer to add some things to quicken or ensure a higher success rate such as nutrients
to the water, heat, higher humidities, etc. There are several ways to go about this process.

1. The Paper Towel Method - Wet a paper towel with pH correct water and fold it in half twice, first horizontally then vertically. You can use a
sponge, rag or any absorbent material in place of the paper towel. Place the Cannabis seeds on the paper towel with some space in between them, about half an inch. Fold the paper towel once more in half and put it in a sandwich baggy. Put the baggy in a dark area. Some growers like to use hormones such as gibberellin to ensure the seeds do indeed sprout. These are diluted in the water that is moistening the paper towel. This method works better and faster if the paper towel is in a warm place. I leave mine under my laptop on its warm spot or on my heater. Be careful not to use a dirty rag as the contaminants may
affect your success rate dramatically.

2. In a Cup of Water - Some growers like to drop their seeds into a cup of pH corrected water that sits in a dark area. You can add nutrients to the
water and place it in a warm place to heighten the success rate.

3. Sowing in Soil - The third method is the natural way. Good ol' dirt and water. Bury the seed a half inch into the soil, pointed end upwards. water
the growing medium lightly and provide a light source as close as possible when they sprout.

4. Rock Wool - Rock wool is known to have proper aeration. Seeds can be sown direcly on the rock wool after the rock wool has been soaked in
water for 24 hours.

After the seedling has grown a root from its seed case, the case will split, revealing to young greenish-yellow rounded leaves (called Cotyledons),
which will have a thin membrane holding them together for a few hours until they grow out of it. These Cotyledons only serve as temporary makers of
Chlorophyl until the seedling first pair of spiked leaves (called true leaves) emerge. Usually they will grow leaves and nodes in two directions, but there have
been cases of three leaves emitting from some strains.
Young plants will develop small growths on the sides of the nodes that most newbies think are pistils and they end up "sexing" a two week old
plant. Try not to make this mistake, these growths are normal but not pistils. Also, seedling may have purplish red stems. This is completely normal and
some think it is a sign of good health.
Make sure that the light source is close to seedlings but not too close. If it's too close the plant will burn, if it's too far the plants will stretch incredibly. A simpled test to see if your light is too close is to put your hand in-between the seedling and the light, if the temp is uncomfortable for your hand, its too close. If you do happen to have the light too far, and the seedling does stretch, you can bury it higher on its stem with dirt. I usually sprout them in party cups with an extra inch or two to fill in dirt if I don't like the length. With fluoro tubes, you can put them as close as you want as long as you have a fan. The plants could safely touch the bulb and not burn.

I hope I helped somebody, and if you have more to add, reply and I will add it into the original.

Top Bottom