Goat turds n hay. Good grow media?

• Thread starter Garbage_bear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Ok so I have a couple of mini goats that have produced quite a large amount of turds over the last four years. I have a big pile that I sweep the leftover hay and turds together. I kicked some over the other day and it is starting to look like good soil under there.

Would this pile of turd hay be good for some soil? What would I need to do to make it good dirt for my girls? Just add perlite? This would be for a greenhouse grow. What say you?

Goat turds n hay good grow media
Reactions: TSD
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Just google goat manure fertilizer. You don’t grow in it, you use it to amend whatever you are growing in. Sounds like it is better than most. Just make sure it is well composted. And in your case the price is right!

HWH

HWH

How do you use it?
About the same as you. I put the poop and hay in a pile then dig out the good stuff whenever I muck out the pens.

I have been experimenting with some compost accelerators recently but it works without them. I have also started adding biochar.

I also cover it with a tarp for like a few days to get the composting started and kill the weeds.

Before I plant I mix the hot stuff with some loam. Then add some perlite and humus I’ve also tried stuff to substitute here like acorns pine needles. Poop is the most important ingredient.

https://www.teraganix.com/products/em-1-compost-activator

https://www.scdprobiotics.com/products/scd-bio-ag-soil-amendment

7munkee

7munkee

I use the bedding from 2 large Happy Caveys. I get about 5 gallons/week. All they eat is hay, grain, and veggies. I read that it's like rabbit poo...you can use it as soon as it cools down. It's mixed with hardwood shavings and soaked with urine. I usually spread it around in my garden beds outside because I get such an excessive amount. But gotta keep the grand daughter happy so they gotta stay.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I use the bedding from 2 large Happy Caveys. I get about 5 gallons/week. All they eat is hay, grain, and veggies. I read that it's like rabbit poo...you can use it as soon as it cools down. It's mixed with hardwood shavings and soaked with urine. I usually spread it around in my garden beds outside because I get such an excessive amount. But gotta keep the grand daughter happy so they gotta stay.
I'm on 120 acres of a cattle farm and I didn't know that crap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom