Going airless

• Thread starter Nugg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nugg

Nugg

Taking out all air pumps in my systems and switching over to a waterfall type,to get dissolved oxygen...all I'm doing is taking my water pump and putting it in my rez.then pump back out to spray bars?.. and eliminate the air pump stuff....this has been a running rcdwc for couple yrs...
Going airless
Going airless 2

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I had a very similar idea planned out but I had the sprayers also spraying the roots.... your plan looks sound, excited to follow

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

I almost went airless, I also run a waterfall rdwc but in more shallow 15gallon totes. When I built my system, I did set it up to where I could add my airlines/stones hassle free. My concern with your setup would be the over all depth of your buckets/garbage cans. O2 might only make it half way down before going back to the top. Lot of vertical room there. In the end, I decided I'd rather have more DO than not enough....

Nugg

Nugg

Well..I don't have a Do meter..but for all that I can read up on ...it's the breaking of the bubbles at the surface that's gets the oxygen into the water..with air stones on the bottom..the air bubbles only travel through the water and not releasing anything until it pops....this theory will be tested...

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

Well..I don't have a Do meter..but for all that I can read up on ...it's the breaking of the bubbles at the surface that's gets the oxygen into the water..with air stones on the bottom..the air bubbles only travel through the water and not releasing anything until it pops....this theory will be tested...

Gotcha. I was more so think your roots at the bottom of the containerwhen your plants are a month old. They'd be pulling air from bubbles traveling up. The bubbles popping on top is good for new small roots that have yet made it to the water yet.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

I had a very similar idea planned out but I had the sprayers also spraying the roots.... your plan looks sound, excited to follow
u know i can't stay n catch up, but it sounds like dwc to hydroponics n possibly, to aeroponics. any questions, u know, i suspect, I'm aero and converted pumped hydro, with air stones, to aero pumps. they might look at the diagrams n pics of cloning machines. typically, aero... every time the surface tension of the water, is broken, i.e. ripples... that's more water surface area, exposed to oxygen. hence it is more highly, oxygenated h2o.
I'm pretty sure mr kung foo knows this, but some others on the thread, may not. remember... before we get creative with our diox, it is oxygen the roots want...
mornin, kungfoo master.
and as to the originator of the thread, as it ain't new, anymore...
i hope u know, jujitsu, knows his poop, big time.
u prolly have a centuries of experience in the room, not to diminish your own experience, whatsoever. dwc, is no joke and clearly, ur well invested. i hope it goes/went well for u.
sorry, i left my lane. just had a bug, to get out.

best wishes to u all

btw... not to blast the thread...
but folks, i give this flu, a 6 outta ten.
I've had better, but am not over 60, either.
my point- asked someone in the healthcare industry, as i thought to help some friends, with this lovely, invisible shield of antibodies. i was informed, by one individual, only... that even not actually, "catching it", for however long: i may still b a carrier, re-exposing myself, getting no symptoms; a milder version, yet still deadly to those i would seek to help. keep it in mind...
b safe, have fun!
♡ -sc

Nugg

Nugg

Well never said it was new..I got the idea from a old Post but it never went to the end..and unless I can circulate the Do to the bottom and back to Rez.. where I do have another sprayer..I figure I'll have to drop the water level and run as aero type...I have plenty of experience and cash and time..if I can't get it to work..I'll start over.no biggie...was hoping to find others that have done this and assist me through where this system will not work..yes theses are trash cans..10 gal.i only run 3/4 full..so about.10-12" deep of water... helpful info would be nice..

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

Gotcha. Sorry man, my info/intent is totally just a shot in the dark. The cans looked like the normal 25-32gallon can which are like 3ft tall. That was my vertical concern. Shit man. Suspend those roots, kick on the sprayers and rock and roll. Are you spraying directly down with all the sprayers, or are there some pointed at the roots too? If the splash from the sprayers don't reach high enough or bubble enough to keep your upper root system moist/wet...

Last edited:
Nugg

Nugg

No worries..I should have noted for the assistance..I just drilled small holes they point mostly down kinda to the middle area...I am concerned about the Do circulating down as you mentioned...I'm ordering a meter today so I know for sure what I'm getting...I'll compare to my other system that is still running air stones and 110l pump...

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

No worries..I should have noted for the assistance..I just drilled small holes they point mostly down kinda to the middle area...I am concerned about the Do circulating down as you mentioned...I'm ordering a meter today so I know for sure what I'm getting...I'll compare to my other system that is still running air stones and 110l pump...

My concern with my system was my waterfall is located on one side of the tote. Once my root mass gets big enough, I was concerned that the proper DO water wouldn't even make it to the other side of the container.

Nugg

Nugg

Yeah, but those are a lot bigger..I'm just tired of the pumps..and so many times after grow is done most of the air ports are plugged up and not letting air in anyway.. I was guessing it was the waterfall in the rez.that kept them alive...I may have to purchase a chiller to help on this..

Nugg

Nugg

So I'm just going to play with it..I'm running lower water level..put pump on a timer..15 min on/off..and add a little sniffer hose off the suction line to add air to the water as it pumps...I'm only guessing but think maybe after time with closed up tanks they would run out of oxygen..I found a lot of info on a different site that was way helpful..

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

So I'm just going to play with it..I'm running lower water level..put pump on a timer..15 min on/off..and add a little sniffer hose off the suction line to add air to the water as it pumps...I'm only guessing but think maybe after time with closed up tanks they would run out of oxygen..I found a lot of info on a different site that was way helpful..

Nice, well keep us posted on your progress and if the change in the system has helped/hindered your grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom