Good Recipe for Making Edibles with Trim

• Thread starter Ddebrazza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

So, I have seen a lot of stuff out there regarding the process of making edibles. Butter/ Oil in the crock-pot, seems to be the easiest method, but I have not been able to find anything that details how much dry trim I should use.

I know this is highly variable, but I will be using dried trimmings from my first harvest.

Is there anything that exists, such as a chart, that shows how much product relative to it's end potency? If anyone can link to a good and very detailed guide for making edibles from trimmings I would be friends forever.

Today I picked up; Vegetable Oil and Pack of Butter Sticks. 1 cookies mix and 1 brownies mix. 1 pack of cheesecloth

Habosabin

Habosabin

Have you thought about sifting your trim for kif and then decarbing that and put right into your recipe? That way you can literally weigh your kif and take guesswork out.

mancorn

mancorn

Without knowing the THC level of your weed it’s all guess work. But find out what the THC % of your strain on Leafy (or similar site) figuring that your trim is going to be on the low end. Let’s pretend it’s 20%, which means that 1g of your material = 1000mg * 20% = 200mg max THC.

When you decarb there will be a weight loss so you can either weight after you decarb or multiple by the standard 0.877 (which is used to calculate THCa conversion to THC). So your 200mg THC * .877 = 175mg THC.

Next is how well you’ll actually decarb, another unknown. If you have a machine it would be very high, but in the oven maybe you’ll only get 80% of your material fully decarbed. 175mg * 80% = 140mg THC. (This is kind of tricky as you might be able to further decarb during the infusion and baking process and not need this low of a conversion rate. On the other hand some THCa is going to convert into CBN instead of THC.)

Then there’s the infusion process of taking this THC and infusing it into your butter/oil. Butter is around 93%, so 140 mg THC * 97% = 136mg THC in your 1g of material.

Then it’s just a matter of figuring out how many doses (cookies and brownies) you have. If you make 10 cookies 136mg THC / 10 = 13.6 mg in each cookie.

Poke around on the Ardent site and you should find some good info.

Last edited:
Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I will be making either Canna-butter or Canna-oil, I got the materials for both (brownies and cookies). I planned on using the crock-pot method.

Thank you for mathematical breakdown! That was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Even if it is just a very rough estimate, it at least gives me some point of reference to work with. I am not quite sure exactly how much dry trimmings I am going to have yet.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Without knowing the THC level of your weed it’s all guess work. But find out what the THC % of your strain on Leafy (or similar site) figuring that your trim is going to be on the low end. Let’s pretend it’s 20%, which means that 1g of your material = 1000mg * 20% = 200mg max THC.

When you decarb there will be a weight loss so you can either weight after you decarb or multiple by the standard 0.877 (which is used to calculate THCa conversion to THC). So your 200mg THC * .877 = 175mg THC.

Next is how well you’ll actually decarb, another unknown. If you have a machine it would be very high, but in the oven maybe you’ll only get 80% of your material fully decarbed. 175mg * 80% = 140mg THC. (This is kind of tricky as you might be able to further decarb during the infusion and baking process and not need this low of a conversion rate.)

Then there’s the infusion process of taking this THC and infusing it into your butter/oil. Butter is around 93%, so 140 mg THC * 97% = 136mg THC in your 1g of material.

Then it’s just a matter of figuring out how many doses (cookies and brownies) you have. If you make 10 cookies 136mg THC / 10 = 13.6 mg in each cookie.

Poke around on the Ardent site and you should find some good info.

Only thing I'd add is trim is no where near 20%. That is bud percentages. I'd estimate bud trim at 10% and leaf at 5%.

mancorn

mancorn

Only thing I'd add is trim is no where near 20%. That is bud percentages. I'd estimate bud trim at 10% and leaf at 5%.
Well if the bud % is 27% (Gorilla Glue) then your trim might be 20%. Obviously huge difference between sugar leaf trim and a bunch of fan leaves. I just used 20% as the math is easy. (But 10% is easy too 😀)

Last edited:
Habosabin

Habosabin

Well if the bud % is 27% (Gorilla Glue) then your trim might be 20%. Obviously huge difference between sugar leaf trim and a bunch of fan leaves. I just used 20% as the math is easy. (But 10% is easy too 😀)
Very true. I just figure anything I grow is 20% even though the genetics rank higher.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I appreciate the easy math breakdown. I will likely use 10% when calculating for my trim brownies. I have a high tolerance.

growsince79

growsince79

Have you thought about sifting your trim for kif and then decarbing that and put right into your recipe? That way you can literally weigh your kif and take guesswork out.
Perfect answer. That's what I do too. IME anything made from trim tastes like shit. I use the whole bud and make dry ice hash. 250mg dose is too much for beginners.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

The question was: Is there anything that exists, such as a chart, that shows how much product relative to it's end potency? (in regards to edibles) If anyone can link to a good and very detailed guide for making edibles from trimmings I would be friends forever.

I am looking for something similar to what Mancorn posted. How much dry weight (top flower vs. trim) = How much Oil/Butter = Final Potency

mancorn

mancorn

Very true. I just figure anything I grow is 20% even though the genetics rank higher.
I have a bunch of flower in turkey bags and whenever I pour out a bag (normally onto newspaper) there’s a giant pile of “trim” that is left over after bagging up. Seems like a waste to throw it away, so it might sit around for a few days before I get wise (and tired of newspaper laying around) and throw it out. But in the meantime I’ll take a bong hit from the pile and normally get super baked. Since it’s already been trimmed/dryed I guess it’s got a fair amount of kief. But I’m always surprised since it seems like a pile of leaf.

(Another idea on the math above. When you go to Leafy and it says your strain is 20% - this number is almost assuredly the THC level as opposed to the THCa + THC levels you’d see in a lab test. So the .877 conversion isn’t really the loss of CO2 during the THCa conversion, but I leave it in when spit balling, due to the moisture lost. It’s actually easier to weight after the decarb, but nice to have some idea of how much you should be decarbing in the first place.)

Eskander

Eskander

So, I have seen a lot of stuff out there regarding the process of making edibles. Butter/ Oil in the crock-pot, seems to be the easiest method, but I have not been able to find anything that details how much dry trim I should use.

I know this is highly variable, but I will be using dried trimmings from my first harvest.

Is there anything that exists, such as a chart, that shows how much product relative to it's end potency? If anyone can link to a good and very detailed guide for making edibles from trimmings I would be friends forever.

Today I picked up; Vegetable Oil and Pack of Butter Sticks. 1 cookies mix and 1 brownies mix. 1 pack of cheesecloth

You need to use enough solvent (be it oil, ethanol or glycerol) to cover your material. If the solvent you are using has a high capacity to solubilize cannabinoids and a reasonable flow rate (not glycerin on both of those) then you can always wash different sets of trim with the same solvent to get a more concentrated result. A nut milk bag make straining and squeezing the vast majority of solvent out easy while eliminating most small debris too. A potato ricer has merits for thicker oils but you will probably want to filter afterwards.

I have a deep hatred of vegetable oil. It is plant waste that is processed to the Nth and has molecular weights all over the fucking place so the smoke point sucks and it goes rancid quickly. Probably just bias as a cook but you can do better for sure. Rape seed oil (Canola), refined coconut oil and Coco Butter (my favorite) are all better choices. Ghee (clarified butter) is a good choice too but actual butter will head towards rancidity much faster.

With the exception of butter, you can do the decarb after extraction in any oil and it will be consistent and fairly painless.

If you want to refine out some crap and you are using ghee or coco butter, you can add salt saturated water to the oil and shake the fuck out of it. Put it in a bowl and put t in the refrigerator it. The oil will be a solid layer on top. Punch holes in opposite ends of the fat cap and pour out the water. This will pull out any proteins that made their way in and will probably reduce the chlorophyll content too. The salt helps denature proteins and limits the ability of the oil to hold water as well. If you happen to have a separation funnel then just use that with any oil.

-Eskander

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

So you let's say I have a ton of trim and would rather have a more concentrated oil, Can you split the Trim into 2 batches and process the first batch and then use that oil product to process the remaining trim to make it stronger? Is that what youre saying?

Eskander

Eskander

So you let's say I have a ton of trim and would rather have a more concentrated oil, Can you split the Trim into 2 batches and process the first batch and then use that oil product to process the remaining trim to make it stronger? Is that what youre saying?
Yes essentially. The oil can dissolve about its own volume in canabanoids so you are never going to saturate it. You will start to build up more crap in it too with sequential passages but two should be fine. The other practical limit is that you don't want it to be so strong that a single bite of brownie is over the top...

-Eskander

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I ended up with 40g of dried trim and I am going to be infusing 2 cups of oil

Can someone help me calculate the strength of the oil or point me to a good website to help with the calculations of edibles strength

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I will definitely need to refine my process, I had a lot of waste.

What started as 40g infused into 2 cups of oil, ended up with just 1 1/2 cups. A 25% loss of product.

If anyone can help me calculate the strength of this oil I would be grateful. The plan is to make a batch of Brownies either tonight or tomorrow.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I used a couple of websites but found this one to be the easiest to use

Im making 1 batch that calls for a 1/4 cup of oil per Pan (6 brownies per pan, 85mg-150mg per brownie) and a 2nd batch that uses 1/2 cup of oil (6 brownies per pan, 150mg-330mg per brownie)

The wide range is possible dosage comes from the unknown potency of using Trim. The low estimate uses 10%, the high estimate uses 20%. So the doses will most likely fall right in the middle around 110mg for the first batch and 240mg for the 2nd batch. I have a couple buddies who agreed to be test bunnies.

20210709 195235
IMG 20210711 105233 01
20210711 125627

Pondracer

Pondracer

I use a PurplPro to measure the raw harvest and then calc based on this spread sheet.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Nice spreadsheet.

I am working on something similar but I am no where near as in-depth yet. Mine is just a system that assigns batch ID's and then product ID's based off what it's end product is, whether that be a 1/2oz of flower or a brownie.

So, the results are in; neither Brownie, the batch that used 1/4cup and the batch that used 1/2cup, produced super high level effects. The dosages were supposedly approx 125mg and approx 240mg. I have a super high tolerance so it is likely that I would require a stronger dose if I am looking for a much stronger experience. I would likely need to get close to the 1000mg area.

I made 6 brownies in each batch so I plan on giving the rest away as testers and finding out how they affect other people who may have lower tolerances.

They tasted fucking fantastic though! I will definitely have to stick with this recipe of brownie. Just need stronger oil.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

Old thread but i like to use 100g-120g trim and fan leaves with 120g-130g butter and i end about 100g butter. Normally i just warm milk in microwave then mix some good cocoa and 10g-20g butter. Over 25g and im overdosed and been smoking every day 10 years but all feels differently ofc. There is some good calculators but its almost impossible know exact number w/o testing your bud in lab first. I typically calculate potency 15%-20% bud, 5% trim and 1% fan leaves. RQS calculator Spatula calculator

Latest posts

Top Bottom