Good trellis idea for the greenhouse or disaster?

• Thread starter Loosemoose
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Loosemoose

Loosemoose

This is my third summer growing in my DIY greenhouse, it's a 10 x 16 platform with a sort of hoop house design mounted on a trailer. Last year I grew 8 different genetics in 8x 30 gallon fabric pots evenly spaced and I mainlined each plant, each pot also had a wire frame around it for training and to keep the colas evenly spaced. The greenhouse was too full to move around, plants pressed the walls and ceiling and caused budrot
So for next summer I want to try this alternative trellis idea. I'm planning on 5 plants down the middle, each mainlined with 8 main colas. Wire trellis hangs down the middle with 24 slots on each side 6 inches apart.
So, is this going to work and make my greenhouse more managable? Or is this idea a disaster waiting to happen? I was also thinking about keeping the main colas in the middle and side shoots go to the outside. I think I'm going to get a packed tight wall of green but not sure if that will be better. Any advice is appreciated.

This is last years setup, in July

Good trellis idea for the greenhouse or disaster

New idea for next summer: 5 x 30 gallon pots and 12 feet of metal trellis
Good trellis idea for the greenhouse or disaster 2

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

This is my third summer growing in my DIY greenhouse, it's a 10 x 16 platform with a sort of hoop house design mounted on a trailer. Last year I grew 8 different genetics in 8x 30 gallon fabric pots evenly spaced and I mainlined each plant, each pot also had a wire frame around it for training and to keep the colas evenly spaced. The greenhouse was too full to move around, plants pressed the walls and ceiling and caused budrot
So for next summer I want to try this alternative trellis idea. I'm planning on 5 plants down the middle, each mainlined with 8 main colas. Wire trellis hangs down the middle with 24 slots on each side 6 inches apart.
So, is this going to work and make my greenhouse more managable? Or is this idea a disaster waiting to happen? I was also thinking about keeping the main colas in the middle and side shoots go to the outside. I think I'm going to get a packed tight wall of green but not sure if that will be better. Any advice is appreciated.

View attachment 1219804.

View attachment 1219805
That would be interesting to see grown out that’s for sure. You could also build a frame for the wire squares add legs and do a giant scrog.

Loosemoose

Loosemoose

That would be interesting to see grown out that’s for sure. You could also build a frame for the wire squares add legs and do a giant scrog.
. My grow style is seasonal and I have a 9 plant limit so I do one harvest per year of big photo plants. My impression of scrog is that it’s best suited for many small plants or autos.

It’ll be interesting, that’s for sure, just have to figure out the best way to orient the wire. More vertical? More horizontal like a scrog? Or scrap this hanging wire and go back to supporting each individually like is typically done with big plants and t posts

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

. My grow style is seasonal and I have a 9 plant limit so I do one harvest per year of big photo plants. My impression of scrog is that it’s best suited for many small plants or autos.

It’ll be interesting, that’s for sure, just have to figure out the best way to orient the wire. More vertical? More horizontal like a scrog? Or scrap this hanging wire and go back to supporting each individually like is typically done with big plants and t posts
Most guys will do 1 plant under a scrog, your thinking of sea of green (sog). The more plants under the scrog the faster you can fill the screen. I have 6 photos under a 4 foot by 6 foot screen. You can definitely scale up what I did and spread the plants out more. This allows all the buds to get same amount of light so you get uniform buds with little larf. I like your idea and I’m definitely not a fan of supporting each branch lol
059AA4C0 FFF1 44E4 85ED 646CC630AB34
B2AB3053 1648 4D3F A047 31A089C2C8EB
9A58B3C3 D44D 4FD0 985A D2D18A9425AF

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

View attachment 1219804.

View attachment 1219805
I like ...you're giving me bad ideas 😟😁in my climate with cold, damp, wet, foggy, no sun to dry off the moisture for weeks in October even in a nice quick greenhouse like that I'd get mold & / or bud rot....I can veg great its just the important part that gets tricky here. on ( the side...feet dry) the Atlantic in Nova Scotia..

I have a 50ft roll 2x4" wire fence, 2 10ft 1/2" pvc pipe..2x4's. A beauty black door. I also have a shit ton of peg board..no plywood but I think I could still mange with it.....I just need another couple pvc pipes a few more screws and enough plastic......wife can use for veggies....it would give me more space than my pop up pup tent

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

View attachment 1219804.

View attachment 1219805
I'm gonna take some more pics of what it looks like with the same you see in the pics but on the outside edge of the 30 gallon pots. I will be putting netting on the tip as plants get to that height.
20220621 075447
20220621 075415
20220621 075345

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

You can't see in those pics but you cut access holes at various spots and still pretty stable & strong structure for what it is. $20.00usd
4ft wide by 50 long. Imgoing to take new pics so you can see what that looks like.
Absolutely great for training & will help compensate the weight on the branches

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

If your plant doesn't think it's holding weight it should produce more too!!

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

thats perfect. But I might have some of that mesh also strung flat for the plant to grow through at 5 or 6 feet. You just gave me a fantastic idea.

Loosemoose

Loosemoose

thats perfect. But I might have some of that mesh also strung flat for the plant to grow through at 5 or 6 feet. You just gave me a fantastic idea.
For my use then I wouldn't add the mesh. I grow all the buds outside the frame. Then I add a few rubber coated wires to support stems and keep things straight as they grow up the wire frame. When I harvest then I loosen off the rubber ties and chop each of the 8 branches off and process them basically a branch at a time. For me then I think mesh would get in the way at harvest time.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I do four photos in 30 gallon pots outside supported on a tube trellis made of concrete rebar grid. I find this simple, sturdy, easy to use and great for big bushes.
The metal just wasn't in my budget this year & the plastic was a viable alternative!
Lookin good

Loosemoose

Loosemoose

The metal just wasn't in my budget this year & the plastic was a viable alternative!
Lookin good
The metal option cost me $20 CAD each x4 pots at Home Depot. I see that as a long term investment into easy plant training as I’ll use them year after year. I also got a 50 foot roll of plastic covered grid for $68 similar looking to what you used but tougher but it wasn’t tall enough or robust enough to be used effectively year after year so I’m returning it. Plastic snow fence can also work for a cost effective option, that’s similar to what you used I think.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

I just had to plant an emergency round about june 20th. I doubt they will need much support this year.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

The metal option cost me $20 CAD each x4 pots at Home Depot. I see that as a long term investment into easy plant training as I’ll use them year after year. I also got a 50 foot roll of plastic covered grid for $68 similar looking to what you used but tougher but it wasn’t tall enough or robust enough to be used effectively year after year so I’m returning it. Plastic snow fence can also work for a cost effective option, that’s similar to what you used I think.
I had to overlap the seam by 3-4 holes & weave in bamboo 4 strength.
20220621 075415
20220628 112750

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I do have holes cut in the plastic for pruning, bending, etc
20220705 123120

20220705 123120
Loosemoose

Loosemoose

I think I'll try something like what you have there with my autos in 10 gallon pots. Similar to yours but with the outside loop only. Im mostly just trying to spread out the bud sites as much as possible, I try to end up with just open air space up the middle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom