Goodbye hydroton and lava, bio balls work

• Thread starter OregonMeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OregonMeds

YO Oregon Meds! That was raw! I was totally engrossed-almost mesmerized by tfs post and pix, completely astonished at the Space Shuttle-esque quality of his gear and the efficiency of the Bio-Balls then as i scrolled down... like a kick in the cornea theres Sacha in a neon green flying V sausage sling!!!!
thanx for the pix tf. what is that contraption youre growing in called? HP aero?

:boogie:

I just couldn't resist...

I mean come on look at my avitar closely. I'm in my tighty whities.

But Hp Aero, that's a can of worms. It's, it's complicated...

If you want to know about it you should really search out TreeFarmer's thread on RIU. It's a monster thread on it's own and then some, and doesn't even apply at all here really. As soon as someone starts on that topic it never ends with the drama and ugliness that can ensue...

M

MedicalINFO

Do coco matts block light? If so, I'm thinking of cutting out circles to plug in the top of the pots....?

M

mrdizzle

:boogie:

If you want to know about it you should really search out TreeFarmer's thread on RIU. It's a monster thread on it's own and then some, and doesn't even apply at all here really. As soon as someone starts on that topic it never ends with the drama and ugliness that can ensue...

you aint kidding I read, then flipped through it last night hoping to see some pics, the only ones I saw were on page 1 of like 86.

E

eyeswideopen

All I'm really looking for is an answer as to why the cubes are necessary in DD's system. I love my aero cloner, and I don't see why you couldn't just go straight from the cloner to the larger netpot, bucket, or whatever in whichever medium you choose, whether it's bio balls or anything else.

What is the advantage of the cube - support, moisture?

I haven't built DD's system yet, but I will in a couple months when I move into a new larger space, and I'm trying to work out all the details ahead of time and learn from the guys that are already running MPB's or anyone else that's running aero, so I can incorporate aspects of both.

M

MedicalINFO

All I'm really looking for is an answer as to why the cubes are necessary in DD's system. I love my aero cloner, and I don't see why you couldn't just go straight from the cloner to the larger netpot, bucket, or whatever in whichever medium you choose, whether it's bio balls or anything else.

What is the advantage of the cube - support, moisture?

I haven't built DD's system yet, but I will in a couple months when I move into a new larger space, and I'm trying to work out all the details ahead of time and learn from the guys that are already running MPB's or anyone else that's running aero, so I can incorporate aspects of both.

I am running an aero cloner with d's buckets. You can go straight in to hydroton, bio balls, coco, whatever. DD's just like flooding cubes for his veg. Plus they would add more initial stability I'm sure. My first run I went straight in to a 1 gallon pot with hydroton then transplanted in to 10 net pots. This time I'm going to go straight in to a 10" net pot with bio balls and setup a drip that cycles 15min. every hour. If your new to RDWC systems, or hydroton, I recommend the bio balls
HYDROTON WHEN NOT TREATED PROPERLY WILL REALLY MESS WITH YOUR PH. I learned this the hard way. You have to rinse hydroton way longer then you think you have to. then do it again.

hope this helps

fractal

fractal

20 gallons of media for $150 sounds like a massive expense, compared to hydroton which is less than 20 bucks for that amount.

T

tree farmer

you aint kidding I read, then flipped through it last night hoping to see some pics, the only ones I saw were on page 1 of like 86.

if your into hp aero pics arent really nessecary but i did a thread here on this site with some pics of my last run.
its all about info and learning for me.heres a pic with a girl just as i flipped her that has balls( bioballs that is)if it makes it any easier.

M

mrdizzle

thanks for the pics Tree farmer.

Im interested in any system that puts out. Im just getting into the rdwc thing, and am blown away with the results. Jalisco kid was into aero, and its always made since to me, seems to be the largest air:roots ratio. I havent seen too much aero, if I did it seemed to always be s.o.g. So I was highly interested in seeing your system and some trees. thanks for the pics

D

Dubwobble

Wow, these look interesting !

I'm gonna try a plant or two in these next round.

O

OregonMeds

Damn tried to edit that away.
oh well.

Bad late night humor

D

danko

so these thing were originally some kind of aquerium filter someone used as a hydro medium? and they worked? seems like youd get alot of dead roots stuck in em when done. how is cleaning different?

The Joker

The Joker

I clean out 6 waterfarms worth of hydroton in about a half hour tops. I don't understand why these balls would be easier to clean? But I'm not handicapped either. I like the idea that unlike rockwool or coco they can be easily seperated from the roots and used over and over.

C

concretedawg

yes cemchris they are i seen them at petsupermarket, gonna give them a try on my next run!!! but in net baskets with rockwool cubes in the center to hold water....i am over the hydro ton ... ill be doing grow journal on them using my prize triangle kush!!!! ebb n flow style..... take care dawg

M

MedicalINFO

I'm about to buy some bio balls 0ff ebay. I found a deal on 3000 of them. for 174$

TREE FARMER,

How many 1.5" balls does it take for you to fill a ten inch net pot?

I can't find any balls that specificly say weighted. Arn't they all weighted? I think they are made for the bottom of fish tanks right

thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom