Goodbye hydroton and lava, bio balls work

• Thread starter OregonMeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OregonMeds

Yes lost, grit is cool and there's nothing better than having to buy, move, clean, and dispose of that shit all the time, especially if you are disabled and don't enjoy moving heavy rocks around.

I really like having to clean grit out of brand new shit I buy before I can even use it.

Norcal you have to type in code like [ youtube ] then the youtube item number [ / youtube ]

Do that without any spaces. The item number is just the part after v= and before & in the youtube address. Only put in the number not the full url.

L

Lost

Hommie, if washing a little hydroton is too much work, then MPB's are probablly not the way to go for you. I'm not saying the day to day is a bitch, but the setup for every run is. I would rather wash hydroton than replace all the plastic lines each run, but growing herb is work :)

Have you considered size 4 pearlite? I just see issues with all the balls trying to flot. And if they float they move and then roots are getting messed with. Feel free to reinvent the wheel tho. I always thought circles and wheels were some commie plot to take over the universe.. :)

O

OregonMeds

Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls.

I'm going with the non floating weighted big brave balls.

Pearlite would just be more of the same dusty dirty stuff. Floating mess of dusty white shit instead of a sinking mess of gritty red shit.

It's not that I can't do the work, it's that I am hurt enough that I will do anything to make it as simple as possible. You would too. I shouldn't be doing anything, but we do what we have to do don't we?

If this doesn't end up being easier or simpler or at least save trips to the shop which are also a hassle then on to something else.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls.

ewww yucky there's dust on my hydroton, ugh get it off, get it off... ugh i just wish somebody would create a medium that wasn't so icky... I also hate how hard it is to color match the rest of my room with hydroton, I mean try to find curtains that will match that color, I just dare you.

so are these new bio-balls self cleaning like my dogs? do you just hose them off like hydroton at the end of the cycle? or just throw them away to avoid that whole cleaning rinsing process?...

L

Lost

Pearlite would just be more of the same dusty dirty stuff. Floating mess of dusty white shit instead of a sinking mess of gritty red shit.

It's not that I can't do the work, it's that I am hurt enough that I will do anything to make it as simple as possible. You would too. I shouldn't be doing anything, but we do what we have to do don't we?

If this doesn't end up being easier or simpler or at least save trips to the shop which are also a hassle then on to something else.

Keep us posted, would love to see some pics. The non floaters would be the way to go but is it cost effective?

You should also check out doing coco pots with a coco liner. You could probablly put a layer of the balls under the coco post as you want the coco pot sitting just above the water.

O

OregonMeds

Someone else will run it before me, I'm shut down on my indoor stuff without the funds to pull it off any more thanks to some mistakes and high electric rates and a fixed income.

We'll see how things go for me after the outdoor season I guess.

L

Lost

Hopefully your outdoor season sets you up for a nice indoor winter run.

F

fido

Just ordered some bio balls, should be here in a few days. Looking forward to playing with my new balls, might have to get my girlfriend to help..... :D

my balls are brown.
my balls have hair on them.
they came from the manufacturer this way.
my balls are african american!
fido

F

fido

everyone represent they balls!
my balls be african american!
any polish american balls in the house?
any italian-american balls in the house?
any iraq balls up in here?
mexican balls say ''hola''!
everybody shout out they balls!
what country did your balls come from?
you got them from your pops!
so shout out your pops too
and the country of origin of the balls he gave you!

fido

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I keep my balls in a small velvet pouch.
If you are sick of the mess and hassle, bio balls are confirmed to work and on ebay you can find some deals in bulk, maybe somewhere else. 20 gallons $150 shipped.

Now you are mess free.

thank treefarmer at rollitup I guess for being the first to have used them.

water as usual

They not only work, they work better.

enjoy.
Wow, what a great re-purpose for the bioballs that almost everyone in reefkeeping seems to have been throwing out in the past few years. After hoarding them to fill bigger and bigger trickle filter towers. They (reefkeepers) call them "nitrate factories", but I disagree with the concept. If the inhabitants weren't generating a certain level of ammonia then they wouldn't be ending up with high NO3 levels.

But I digress... :bong2:
LMFAO! Now that's just funny shit right there.
so are these new bio-balls self cleaning like my dogs? do you just hose them off like hydroton at the end of the cycle? or just throw them away to avoid that whole cleaning rinsing process?...
Aquarists just use a bleach solution. I wouldn't be surprised if a combination of bleach and a run through either a dishwasher (mine could do it safely w/out melting them) or a clothes washer on a hot cycle does the trick nicely.

F

fido

vinnie-jones.jpg

''Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls...''.

fido

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Has any one try these for Top drip or Flood and drain? What are the recommended feed time. Funny to hear about legos.

In the past, I thought about marbles but still dont know if it would work.
Kinda shock every one is still cleaning "My Balls" as we say...

Latest posts

Top Bottom