Got Locusts?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm sitting thru the latest swarm of 17 year locusts. The woods filled with zillions of these guys, sounds like a giant Star Trek Phaser type sound, while the huge bugs are
literally dripping off of the trees. They spend their entire lives underground, feeding on roots and stuff and emerging en masse 17 years later. They will spend a few weeks buzzing and swarming, feeding every critter that can gobble them down. After breeding in the trees, they drop down and burrow underground until 2036, when the show will be repeated.
Pretty Cool, Huh?

Cicadas 17 year
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm sitting thru the latest swarm of 17 year locusts. The woods filled with zillions of these guys, sounds like a giant Star Trek Phaser type sound, while the huge bugs are
literally dripping off of the trees. They spend their entire lives underground, feeding on roots and stuff and emerging en masse 17 years later. They will spend a few weeks buzzing and swarming, feeding every critter that can gobble them down. After breeding in the trees, they drop down and burrow underground until 2036, when the show will be repeated.
Pretty Cool, Huh?
Actually a pretty cool looking bug

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Pretty Cool, Huh?
Awesome! Just hope they don't get to Biblical proportions and eat everything.

TerriR

TerriR

had baby grasshoppers here eating my crop 😤 They made a satisfying POP sound when I crushed their little bodies with my bare hands! 😂

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
had baby grasshoppers here eating my crop 😤 They made a satisfying POP sound when I crushed their little bodies with my bare hands! 😂
These are actually known as 17 year periodical Cicadas and aren't actual locusts. Around here they call Cicadas locusts, but they aren't anything like the mutant grasshopper things that are great for hosting plague parties and a cheap way to keep your grass trimmed. Just large, noisy, bumbling insects that hurt like a gunshot when you whack into one while riding a motorcycle. Oh... and keep your mouth closed as well!!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
These are actually known as 17 year periodical Cicadas and aren't actual locusts. Around here they call Cicadas locusts, but they aren't anything like the mutant grasshopper things that are great for hosting plague parties and a cheap way to keep your grass trimmed. Just large, noisy, bumbling insects that hurt like a gunshot when you whack into one while riding a motorcycle. Oh... and keep your mouth closed as well!!

Haha I was just going to say the same thing! We had cicadas come out 2 years ago. They don't harm the plants, either. In fact they helped mine. They burrowed into many of my outdoor plants and helped with soil aeration. Was one of our better harvests that year. But boy, do they hurt when you get whacked by one! They're like flying rocks, dense little bastards! I love cicadas.

Top Bottom