Gotta Herm problem folks...Help needed.

• Thread starter istari72
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
istari72

istari72

Thanks for visiting. I have 12 Six foot trees growing indoors, 25-30 gal. smart pots, soilless, and i'm 6 weeks into flowering of a 9+ week strain, Gage Green White Funk, sativa dominant. Fucked up a coupla lights for 2 nights 10 days ago, lights on during 12 hr dark period. Many plants are now hermaphroditic, even after applying Dutch Nutrients Reverse two days following photoperiod interuption. Two days after initially applying Reverse I went to purchase more and the product was no longer available in WA state, pulled from the shelves...ffs. So no followup treatment. Also, I have cut back photoperiod to 1245 dark/ 1115 light in effort to speed final flower development.

My questions: How do I realistically minimize seeding/What is 'best practice'?
1. Cut back photoperiod further to speed ripening? Ex. 14 hrs dark/10 hours light?
2. Manually remove all male expressions?
3. What else...?

I thank you in advance.
Istari72

istari72

istari72

Barely any stigmas changing color, maybe 5%, but lots of banana's and many seeds on intermittent branches/colas.
Picture pending, but afraid I may have to pull them waaaaay to soon. For Twelve 6 ft trees, i'm pretty sad...:(

Istari72

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So you're saying that after two days you saw evidence of hermaphroditism? Water is your friend here, lots of misting will prevent seeding. It sounds to me like these girls were going hermy long before that. Seeds take about 4 weeks to really mature, I think about 2 to become evident.

If these girls are heavily Sativa-dom, you can just run them on a 10.5hr daylight photoperiod in any event. I, too, would not want to pull them too soon.

istari72

istari72

Thanks for your response Seamaiden. As yer a moderator I have confidence in your suggestions. To clarify, plants sustained two separate days of the photoperiod being interrupted with an errant light; bananas started showing appx. 10 days later, give or take. Then I hit em with Reverse, and one week later several (not all) plants are going crazy with the pollen sacks. So it's been a 3-4 week issue thus far...

And, I agree, this strain certainly appears to be hermie-prone. Regarding watering/misting I assume the water makes pollen inactive? I'll begin with misting them thoroughly one hour before lights on each day, and go from there. Ten-five photoperiod it is, and let the misting's begin! Thanks again mate.

Istari72

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, water seems to make the pollen inactive. I've been gone since early Wednesday afternoon, sorry for the late response.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
if you arent to far into it you may want to scrap what you got and put new plants in. or at the very least kill off the ones that are showing it the worse. if you mist to much you may end up with budrot or a severe case of powdery midlew so be careful. pm is very hard to get out of a prepetual garden

istari72

istari72

Thanks for your responses Seamaiden and Kid Twist. After closer scrutiny it became clear that only one plant demonstrated any significant male flowers. Due to the explosion of flowers I pulled the miscreant lady, and all others appear to be doing great with only intermittent and infrequent seeds. The pulled plant is still quite consumable, albeit seeded, and i'm quite comfortable with the remaining ladies finishing off safely. I inadvertently fucked up my light schedule and am eagerly looking forward to a greater degree of automation so I know longer have to worry about corresponding so many individual timers. I will state the the Reverse product may have worked briefly, but having only one treatment may have led to the plant going nuts 7-10 days later with male flowers. But, afterall, who wants to spray a hormone on an almost finished plant? I'll place some pix of the remaining ladies upon harvest. Thanks again folks.
Cheers!
Istari72

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I had a herm issue for the past year and couldn't pin it down. I run a recirculating deep water culture system and realized my well water was coming out at 46 degrees and caused my plants to herm when water that cold hit bear roots. The nanners showed up in 2-3 days after a res change. Once they go hermie they just go. I have had to turn my crop to oil before. Hey at least you don't have to trim it!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I had a crop go hermie due to light leaks and just turned it into oil, not much else I could do with it.

C

cctt

According to DM, Reverse should not be used within 4 weeks of harvest (I contacted them specifically with this question). So now that it's been applied I would not recommend chopping early for hash.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

According to DM, Reverse should not be used within 4 weeks of harvest (I contacted them specifically with this question). So now that it's been applied I would not recommend chopping early for hash.

Then chop late for hash. More yield and better quality hash. You're probably going to get seeds though.

I

inmyforest

eat seeds they are good for you just let it run the 9 weeks or wtv as for herms i kill them

B

Bangarang

I had a genetic that always hermed out and i would spray reverse day 1 and day 10 of flower and then foliar snow storm to make the pollen inactive. I do not remember who told me to use the snow storm but it worked for the most part.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I'm not sure the light interruption is what caused that. I've heard of outdoor growers that blast their plants with extra light at night to break the dark period to keep them in veg. Some areas in an early season are gonna still have 12+ hours of light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom