Grafting fresh clone onto fresh stump after harvest

• Thread starter DankNugz420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
when i was a kid, back in the dark ages, i was involved with a program called YCC (youth Conservation Corp). they did this experiment - we were in 5 groups of 10. each group took care of a tent of plants (tomato is what my group had). we cared for the plants, played music and in general communed with our charges. after a while one person from each group was asked to go into a different groups tent and mutilate one plant. loudly and with emotion. then all went back to normal. after 10 days, the mutilator went into the tent and the plants showed signs of recognition and fear.

they had monitors hooked up to veins in the leaves and to the root system, and it played a steady almost heart beat like rhythm. when the meanie came into the tent the sensors went crazy, the beeping was frantic.

anyway, just saying... these girls might be the stars of the next B movie!

edit: this was the early 70s

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I have a feeling that you are going to experience root rot with your "stump" though. Not trying to be Debbie downer but I think you will need to keep a single branch alive or your roots will slowly die.
That's the big concern lol hope that rot doesn't set in, we'll see how it goes im in it for the long haul even if it's a short haul lol

Tcnchw

Tcnchw

So I was at my girlfriend's house earlier and the fucking cugings are rooting in tap water. Shit is crazy!

20210227 120855
20210227 120859
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I wonder what's going to happen with deficiencies since I'd assume each strain likes different ratios of nutes.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
so... try again! if/when it dies, check out the graft, see if it was rooting, or actually merging with. send pics! and, try again, it just needs some adjustments, it could work.

i found this (and some others, but this was simple and direct)

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Worth the shot. Thanks for trying! You could also try graft a plant to itself in the future or at least to the same strain, that may make it a bit easier for the graft to take. You really need to keep that rootstock going with some vegetation in the future to be successful.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

Yea maybe leave a couple sites at the bottom of the plant for a reveg of sorts lol

707finisher

707finisher

I have regrown a few stumps by doing that. Chop everything off except some sites on a few lower branches, then back in veg and re-flower, not all strains can handle the shock. Think your on to something.

this is my opinion, it might suck :)

I think

try the graft immediately after chopping, the stump, then the clones

do less clones in there, less joints to mesh

Try leaving branch stems 4” long or so and split the end like you did on the trunk

4” stems might have some nodes to keep stump alive

use a wound sealer

try to mate the cut edges carefully

Kootenay.kid

Kootenay.kid

Anyone tried this? I chopped yesterday and the stumps are still bleeding so I thought about grafting a few different clones onto one stump as an experiment
It should totally work, thats exactly what grafting is you have a rootstock and a fresh scion the only difference is the age your starting with. the only real hurdle will be the age difference usually you try to keep them close in the woodyness. I would probably suggest using something to seal off the remaining of the opening on the rootstock so no nasties get in that exposed wound, I think a fruit tree seal product would work or something similar from around the house cornstarch maybe? if you have access to multiple strains why not make a multi do it all at once to cut down on healing time that is of course the rootstock stem is large enough to handle it. love to hear how it goes :)

Top Bottom