Greatful Dead/Furthur

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
I am a tried and true Deadhead born in Palo Alto Ca. I saw my 1st show 1973 Malpes Pavvilion, Stanford Univ. I saw over 500 shows over the years. Never missed a Bay Area show till the bittersweet end. I saw all the Winterland shows including the last 12/31/78, withThe New Riders and The Blues Brothers. I still recall that wonderful night. We just gotten situated on the floor up close when some kids came up to us asking whats going on here they saw an open door and came in. They had cases of beer which we immediatly traded mushrooms for we were set. That night was not really special music wise but very historical, the last show at this amazing old building that was basicly falling down, ceiling tiles were falling off from Phils bass. We saw all the shows with the tower of sound which still to this day would be awesome. Other favs to see the band were Frost Amptheater, Berkley Greek, free shows in the panhandle in Golden Gate Park, Kesar Stadium, Warfield, Henry J Kaiser Oakland, Ventura fairgrounds, it was awesome, hardly ever missed a show.
I have also seen furthur. Some of my friends dont like how much it sounds like Jerry. Kinds bugs me a little as well. To me its not the Greatful Dead, Jerrys gone and never will be forgoten. Its still Greatful Dead music just different musicians playing in a band so I got over it, I do have fan issues with a few things like talking during show, butting in front during show, more drinking than the old days, kids getting really fucked up, its allways been about the music for me not getting overly fucked up.
I cant go to every local show these days. I will go to Red Rocks which Ive seen tons of great music over the years, Red Rocks... no place comes close as far as sound and beauty hands down, saw 2 shows last visit, I also saw the last nite at Broomfield I got a friend who arrives at 6am to get in line for Gen Admission. I buy his ticket, 3 PBR large beers, the show CD, bring smoke, lunch, Win win for both. We allways get 3rd row front center at Red Rocks, for the dead and other shows, and at Broomfeild I ended up dead center hugging the front rail all night. I must say that night was probally one of the very best music events Ive seen in a long time. I took just the right amount of shrooms and it was a wonderful night. The band was so polished really havin fun. The crowd really did not exist as everybody was behind me, I was and still am amazed at that night, got the CD sounds wonderful. I also remember the last Red Rocks show when they played terripin station and did the reprive at the end pure bliss.
Still great to see Phil and Bobby, who reminds me of the Gotrons fisherman from the TV ad, with the grey beard, were all getting older, and better with age...Hopefully lots more to come, either way the music will never stop....Peace CM...

T

thumpnasty

man i agree . those broomfield shows where soooooo good, best dead i have seen since the real deal, i went the next weekend for phills bday and they had chris robenson singin , which is cool, but i was really impressed with fake jerry and was looking forward to more of his singin. Fake Jerry rocks!!!! Did anyone see bobby the other night on the web? it was awsome, looking forward to more "couch tour" from bobby. http://www.TRIstudios.com

420alldaze

420alldaze

whats up cm? gotta love the dead. was only fortunate enough to see em once at nassau collesium in 94' but it was truly amazing. one of the best daze of my life honestly.hopefully, many more to come. peacentreez

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Very cool story....but i cant stand the dead, at all. I grow pounds of shrooms a week eat acid and indulge in ayahuasca several times a year and i still just cant stand it. But cool story.

Otto

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Back in the 70s we had a friend we called the Oz. He was from Australia. He vowed never ever would he go see the stupid bloody Greatful Dead. All Those stinkin dam hippies, no way mate... One night we had an extra ticket to winterland and tricked him into going. We told him we were going to be ushers at a gin convention and he should go and usher, its a lot of fun mate. He bought it hook line and sinker and off the Winterland we went. He was one of the most gullibale people ever. We got there and once inside he reaized somethings up, but it was too late to back down. The whole show he just stood there, arms folded swaying slightly no drugs. After the show we asked him.. Well .Whadya reckon mate. He said it was the most wonderful amazing thing hes ever seen in me bloddy life, the music as he said entered my soul, it changed his life, he never missed a Bay area show there after. All aboard, another one on the bus to never ever land...Peace CM

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Very cool story....but i cant stand the dead, at all. I grow pounds of shrooms a week eat acid and indulge in ayahuasca several times a year and i still just cant stand it. But cool story.

Otto
Aye, I'm afraid I land with you. Despite being a HUGE fan of Ken Kesey (Merry Pranksters, anyone? They're the ones who built Furthur) and the history, I have never really enjoyed the Dead. Not even when they were The Warlocks.

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, anyone? Got me into Tom Wolf in a big way. And that got me even more into Kesey. But I just can't do the Dead.

My Dead-heads, however? God bless you, each and every one! I love you all.

Illmind

Illmind

phish and the dead both from what i've seen in concert just basically jam. i too dont enjoy their records but some of the best concerts i ever been too. just was at a further concert not long ago. seen some crazy shit boy, the new generation can't handle their shit.

A

AlienBoyD7

AlienBoyD7 is "Dead Forever and Forever Dead" in my little music collection I have 66 gigs of Dead I got it all before Rhino records got there greedy mits on the Vault.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
i liked their album stuff ok but when i saw em at Woodstock they just noodled around
and it seemed everyone of em was playing a different tune..
they never got off the ground..

now the Airplane were a different story

Ahh yes. Saw many a Airplane shows with Pappa John on fiddle, that was real rock and roll. Also enjoyed other Bay Area bands such as The Sons Of Champlin, my favorite next to The Dead, Boz Scaggs, Santana, Cold Blood, Joy Of Cooking, The Tower Of Power, Elvin Bishop, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, lots of great music late 60s and 70s in the SF Bay Area...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do you remember the original Journey, chickenman? The pre-Steve (asshole with his balls cut off) Perry? That's the Journey I can't STAND. And then my husband introduced me to the original Journey, and it was amazing. I think we know where Neil Schon went, yeah?

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

It's, "The GRATEFUL Dead." Here is my favorite song of theirs:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVp7lKqkk1M[/YOUTUBE]

true grit

true grit

Dead head here for sure...not a Further fan really... Well lemme re-phrase- huge Bear fan (RIP), love me some Dead. Went to Red Rocks last year for Further and ended up leaving early... just not a big Further music fan, but do enjoy when they get around to playing Dead music. On the contrary though, the shows at Broomfield really were amazing...completely different experience for compared to further at red rocks. For being a sketch ass venue, seen some good ones at Broomfield.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you remember the original Journey, chickenman? The pre-Steve (asshole with his balls cut off) Perry? That's the Journey I can't STAND. And then my husband introduced me to the original Journey, and it was amazing. I think we know where Neil Schon went, yeah?

Great stuff pre Perry, know exactly what you mean, I think they may have banded his balls like we do our buckling goats to sing like that, Neil Schon Carlos yes. Have you heard the new Santana release? One song on there is Little Wing sung by my friend Joe Cocker. Well worth getting this CD.. awesome recording its called Guitar Classics... The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Times on Arista Resords

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Great stuff pre Perry, know exactly what you mean, I think they may have banded his balls like we do our buckling goats to sing like that, Neil Schon Carlos yes. Have you heard the new Santana release? One song on there is Little Wing sung by my friend Joe Cocker. Well worth getting this CD.. awesome recording its called Guitar Classics... The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Times on Arista Resords
I'll try to remember to mention this to my husband. A friend of his from HS is a sound engineer, unfortunately he tours with Celtic Woman (no offense to those so inclined, just absolutely NOT my cuppa). I haven't heard the new release because I live in a radio wasteland.

Not many people know about the original Journey, so props to you. :)

J-fly

J-fly

I saw The Grateful Dead in Charlotte, NC in 1995 when i was 15. Tripped hard on some white fluff and definatley had a life changing experience. Went with my best friend Trip who has now seen over 200 Phish shows. I remeber smoking a fat marley in his 1960 chevy pickup on the way there. I remeber one day we went to get some doses and leave before the show, and my friend accidentally bumped this guy with his car and all these hippies surrounded our car and started yelling at us. Really glad i saw Jerry, and i think this concert is what made me love music, psychedelics and life. I remember we brought home some tour kids and partied for a while.

Then i saw The Dead at Red Rocks in like 03 i think. ate some mushroom caramels and went on sunday and they opened with Truckin, and played Strawberry Fields and Come Together, and Warren Hayes was the singer.. I thought the show was dope. Just bought Skeletons in the Closet original vinyl for $8 the other day.

My favorite dead song is Gangsta of Love.

N

nuttyguy

Got hooked on Dead shows in "84" at Alpine Valley, went to as many shows as I could after that. Lets just say it was a strange adventure with too many WOW'S. The only place I can find the Dead show tingle that I crave is at Further show. I think John Kadlecik (the guy that plays the Jerry role) is an excellent musician and plays a huge role in the Further experience.

All the years combined they melt into a dream...

T

Toes

I've seen them once. The show in Orlando, FL in 94 the day after easter. I was inside the stadium when the riots where happening.

They opened with Help-->Slipknot-->Franklins and they played Masterpeice, Brown Eyed Women, a newer song called Days Between ( that was the first time I had heard it anyways) and Terrapin Station... my one and only GD show and I've seen Terrapin live... the stadium went dark, there was a single spotlight on Jerry when he began singing "let my inspiration flow..." it was a moving experience... they encored with Iko Iko. when we got outside, my eyes were burning and my throat was raw... moments later on i found out it was from the tear gas used to break up the gatecrashers... me and my Uncle had a bunch of beers and water we were selling on the lot, after the show, we handed out the waters and the ice keeping the beer cold to all the heads who had the burning eye blues.

I was a little too young to go on summer tour that year... well that's what my parents said anyways. I didn't have a driver's license yet. some friends went and I got post cards though. the next year Jerry died. I've only seen one show, however, listened 1000's of hours of gray Maxell's... but, when the fat man died... I started listening to techno. true story. I figure if the Dead ( especially Mickey ) were into electronic musical soundscapes aka space, I could be too. every now and then when I hear those familiar guitar licks, sounds like raindrops made of crystal landing on a hundred champagne glasses, I remember those days riding in my friends white '71 VW bus nicknamed Lazy Lightning, listening to DAT. Analyzing every note as if there was a hidden meaning underneath the music that could only be heard under the influence of the kind.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Back in the days of tapers sections during quiet moments with tapes spinning, I would yell out my friends name and phone number. He would get lots of calls from all over.... pissed the tapers off Iam sure.....

Top Bottom