Green Headlamps/flashlights

• Thread starter 3 balls
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 balls

3 balls

I try to limit any dark work and don't plan on expanding my time in lights off. But, for the longest time I've wondered if a green filter does a damn thing. I get that plants supposedly don't use green spectrum or whatever, but it seems like the plants are experiencing light when they think it should be dark regardless of if there's a green dyed lens cap on a $10 headlamp. Any science on this?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Green is not a photo sensitive spectrum. I use the green twisty bulb 15 watts to see if I need to go in the room. Also my titan light controller has green led display.

I have not had problems that can be attributed to the green light.

However. Another grower reported that a higher wattage green led bulb. The one that looks like a shower head. Hermied and then revegged any of plants that were under it.

So I think a dim green bulb not directly on the plants is fine for most cultivars.

3 balls

3 balls

Staying out for 12 hours is the obvious choice but... I run (lights on) at night to capitalize on the coolest air to cool the lights, I also have my AC rigged to heat my house, I haven't flipped on my furnace in years. So it is necessary to do some work in lights out. I haven't been able to find a headlamp/flashlight backed by any real data. It would be great to know what's what.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I try and just stay out, but if i do have to go in i just set a lamp or something as far away as possible. Roughly speaking, a bit of moonlight doesnt hurt plants and you can usually see alright under a full moon, so i try to keep the light intensity the plants get down under those levels. So far no issues, and i have no scientific backup, but seems a reasonable approach.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Staying out for 12 hours is the obvious choice but... I run (lights on) at night to capitalize on the coolest air to cool the lights, I also have my AC rigged to heat my house, I haven't flipped on my furnace in years. So it is necessary to do some work in lights out. I haven't been able to find a headlamp/flashlight backed by any real data. It would be great to know what's what.

I agree with @MIMedGrower . Eventhough it is not very scientific, i think plants which evolved under moonlight cares about a tiny green light that much. Too much could cause problems tho.

3 balls

3 balls

th
th

Be back in a couple hours, I got work to do.:)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here is some science fer ya @CrimsonEcho. What you are saying about the moon isn’t true. It is not a light source. I saved many links during my years of study. But I have a new phone now and they are all gone. But if I make a definitive statement I promise you I read it from a reputable source and still would have verified it the best I could. And our personal experience counts too.

And all the info has been discussed so many times before.

When I search for links I learned from now different results appear in google. So I’m sorry I don’t justify everything I know to be true from my research and experience.

I have read moonlight is less than 1 candlepower or lumen. It is a reflection not a light source.

It’s actually only 1/4 as bright as 1 candle.

A full moon on a clear night is tremendously bright (high lumen value), however the lux received on the Earth is about 1/4 of a lumen per square meter. In comparison, a light bulb will have an illumination of approximately 50 lux, while direct sunlight can get up to 130,000 lux at the Earth's surface.Sep 18, 2015
Lumen - Energy Education

Same answer this year as 5 years ago.

3 balls

3 balls

But how many PARS does the moon make? To be honest, when I wrote the thread I was hoping to entice somebody to light up and research a proven green headlamp for me.:) Any chance of you guys duking it out over that?;)

Homesteader

Homesteader

Abstract

Extensive literature exists on how blue, red and far-red light contribute to plant adaptive responses. A growing body of work identifies discrete effects of green light (500–565 nm) that also shape plant biology. Green light responses are known to be either mediated through, or independent of, the cryptochrome blue light receptors. Responses to green light share a general tendency to oppose blue- or red-light-induced responses, including stem growth rate inhibition, anthocyanin accumulation or chloroplast gene expression. Recent evidence demonstrates a role for green light in sensing a shaded environment, independent from far-red shade responses.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3357375/

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But how many PARS does the moon make? To be honest, when I wrote the thread I was hoping to entice somebody to light up and research a proven green headlamp for me.:) Any chance of you guys duking it out over that?;)

When someone talks down to you even though you repeated known science then adds some made up crap or opinion what else to expect?

3 balls

3 balls

When someone talks down to you even though you repeated known science then adds some made up crap or opinion what else to expect?
I plead Rodney King! You both seem like really good dudes, I think typing and texting can really affect tones and attitudes negatively. I would bet my 3rd ball if you smoked a joint together you'd end up buddy's.

3 balls

3 balls

Abstract
Extensive literature exists on how blue, red and far-red light contribute to plant adaptive responses. A growing body of work identifies discrete effects of green light (500–565 nm) that also shape plant biology. Green light responses are known to be either mediated through, or independent of, the cryptochrome blue light receptors. Responses to green light share a general tendency to oppose blue- or red-light-induced responses, including stem growth rate inhibition, anthocyanin accumulation or chloroplast gene expression. Recent evidence demonstrates a role for green light in sensing a shaded environment, independent from far-red shade responses.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3357375/
Are you trying to make my brain explode?

Homesteader

Homesteader

You wont see any effects from a battery powered green headlamp. Best to use a green LED instead of white light with a green filter though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I plead Rodney King! You both seem like really good dudes, I think typing and texting can really affect tones and attitudes negatively. I would bet my 3rd ball if you smoked a joint together you'd end up buddy's.

Eh. He’s trolling me. And I dont buy into the everyone loves each other with weed hippy stuff too much. Friendships are earned and chosen.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Here is some science fer ya @CrimsonEcho. What you are saying about the moon isn’t true. It is not a light source. I saved many links during my years of study. But I have a new phone now and they are all gone. But if I make a definitive statement I promise you I read it from a reputable source and still would have verified it the best I could. And our personal experience counts too.

And all the info has been discussed so many times before.

When I search for links I learned from now different results appear in google. So I’m sorry I don’t justify everything I know to be true from my research and experience.

I have read moonlight is less than 1 candlepower or lumen. It is a reflection not a light source.

It’s actually only 1/4 as bright as 1 candle.

A full moon on a clear night is tremendously bright (high lumen value), however the lux received on the Earth is about 1/4 of a lumen per square meter. In comparison, a light bulb will have an illumination of approximately 50 lux, while direct sunlight can get up to 130,000 lux at the Earth's surface.Sep 18, 2015
Lumen - Energy Education

Same answer this year as 5 years ago.

Chill. I didn’t say anything contradicting to your final claim. Moon isn’t a light source by itself but it reflects some amount of light. Thats what is said. And when your eyes get acclimated you can see everything under moonlight. Are you so thick that you cant see i agree with you on the principal.

No one has talked down to you. You must have serious ego problems. And let me add. Par is the scientific light spectrum for plants which involves green. SCIENCE!

Eh. He’s trolling me. And I dont buy into the everyone loves each other with weed hippy stuff too much. Friendships are earned and chosen.

What you choose to believe are yours but you have to respect what i believe even tho it may be inconcievable to you, i believe that every human deserves respect and kindness along with all living things but i guess what you believe must be the only truth. Don’t care for your attitude, just be respectful to other farmers here. You will not get any replies anymore from me. Don’t provoke people, let your ego settle down a bit.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I have 2 green bulbs I use in my flower room for lites out. I’ll do maintenance when I want. I’ve never had any issues with my ladies whatsoever. I accidentally left it on one time for 8 hrs and had no negative results.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Chill. I didn’t say anything contradicting to your final claim. Moon isn’t a light source by itself but it reflects some amount of light. Thats what is said. And when your eyes get acclimated you can see everything under moonlight. Are you so thick that you cant see i agree with you on the principal.

No one has talked down to you. You must have serious ego problems. And let me add. Par is the scientific light spectrum for plants which involves green. SCIENCE!

What you choose to believe are yours but you have to respect what i believe even tho it may be inconcievable to you, i believe that every human deserves respect and kindness along with all living things but i guess what you believe must be the only truth. Don’t care for your attitude, just be respectful to other farmers here. You will not get any replies anymore from me. Don’t provoke people, let your ego settle down a bit.

You called me back in to troll. No one else seems to be arguing with me but you. Shame you can’t admit when you are wrong like I did yesterday.

And plants don’t respond to the light reflected off the moon is the whole point. The point that negates your opinion about it. Humans see from moonlight because we have amazingly sensitive vision.

And titan makes indoor gardening controllers. They are quite popular. Think they didn’t research the green led display before selling it to photoperiod controlling gardeners? Maybe they consulted science?

Reread any of your upset ego filled posts. You get the response you ask me for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom