Greenhouse “stealth” Advice

• Thread starter BearFlagBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

I’m looking for some advice on how to make my backyard greenhouse a little more discrete. I have one of those 6x8 harbor freight greenhouse which is perfect for my little backyard grow but the panels are clear and it’s easy to see what’s growing inside. Last year I hung up 6mil film and that made the plants inside the greenhouse just look like a green bush which was perfect, but that wasn’t exactly the most elegant solution. I’ve removed all the panels and was thinking of applying a “frosted glass” spray to each panel. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any advice and I’ll report back on how it works out for me!

This is the frosted glass spray I’m referring too. Not sure how it would work on plastic either.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Snap a pic if you do this I would like to see how it turns out. I have used clear plastic before and whitewashed it with thinned down white paint. Worked well and you couldn't see inside.

What's your weather like and are you going to be venting and or exhausting that?

MissBotany

MissBotany

have you thought about growing something that grows tall around the perimeter (either inside or outside) of the greenhouse? I would think like cherry tomatoes on a trellis or something of that nature...

BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

Snap a pic if you do this I would like to see how it turns out. I have used clear plastic before and whitewashed it with thinned down white paint. Worked well and you couldn't see inside.

What's your weather like and are you going to be venting and or exhausting that?

Will Do! I might resort to the thinned down white paint idea if the frosted spray doesn’t work great, I’m sure that would be much cheaper than a bunch of spray cans. I’ll also have to see if Home Depot has that frosted glass stuff in a regular paint can instead of spray. I’m sure that would be more cost effective too.

As far as venting goes, I might vent out of the top if necessary but I just built some 12 inch risers for it so it will get air flow through the bottom. I’ll post a pic later and it will make more sense.

have you thought about growing something that grows tall around the perimeter (either inside or outside) of the greenhouse? I would think like cherry tomatoes on a trellis or something of that nature...

I’ve thought about that, but I don’t have any extra room on the inside and if I grew it thick enough on the outside to block any view of the plants inside it would probably also shade my plants inside which I wouldn’t want.

Freshone

Freshone

Have you thought about replacing the clear with something opaque like solexx?

tifosi

tifosi

Solexx is nice you can't see anything inside unless it is touching the material.It needs supported every 4ft. to secure it in place & lasts for years.

B

brimck325

we used to mix lime and water to white wash the glass on greenhouses i worked at as a kid.

BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

Have you thought about replacing the clear with something opaque like solexx?

Solexx is nice you can't see anything inside unless it is touching the material.It needs supported every 4ft. to secure it in place & lasts for years.

I’ve heard of solexx but I also remember it not being cheap, I’ll have to measure the pieces I’d be replacing and price it out. Thanks for reminding me of solex and a good add to a greenhouse stealth thread!

we used to mix lime and water to white wash the glass on greenhouses i worked at as a kid.

Interesting... when you say lime are you referring to the fruit or mineral? I wonder if that is a specific reaction to glass or would that work with a polycarbonate.

B

brimck325

mineral…..we mixed it up n sprayed with a hudson sprayer.

stiffneck

stiffneck

I always thought I was slick by tying those fake flowers you get at craft stores onto my plants. Through frosted glass? At a distance? They looked like hibiscus. The gaudier the color, the better. ;)

Haha. I used to do the exact same shit. Loved the craft stores for bitchen look a like flowers.... then one day just said fuck the man... man. Now we're all legal and shit. Well...kind of. :)

Top Bottom