Greenhouse feeding

• Thread starter fredcann
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fredcann

fredcann

Hi, I have an interesting topic to discuss... very specific one.
Feeding big plants in greenhouses.
Its my first time, im doing great, but since it is a very specific situation, I would like to receive comments and share experiences.
Since is "outdoor" soil (plant to the ground) and [huge plants (about 13 foot) I loose fertilizer quantities.
I want to fertilize as much as i can, so that flower get really big.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Farmer88

Farmer88

Hi, I have an interesting topic to discuss... very specific one.
Feeding big plants in greenhouses.
Its my first time, im doing great, but since it is a very specific situation, I would like to receive comments and share experiences.
Since is "outdoor" soil (plant to the ground) and [huge plants (about 13 foot) I loose fertilizer quantities.
I want to fertilize as much as i can, so that flower get really big.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Can you give more information about the soil you're planting into. Is it a sandy loam, or a clay? Have you done any soil tests? What kind of tillage are you preforming. Does anything grow in between crop cycles? Have you used any amendments and which fertilizers are you currently using?

fredcann

fredcann

Thank you ! Is a black soil, with soma clay... far from sandy soil. No test on it. Is the first crop circle...I use mostly organic cane fertilizers. Do you think every 2 days is too much?

Farmer88

Farmer88

Thank you ! Is a black soil, with soma clay... far from sandy soil. No test on it. Is the first crop circle...I use mostly organic cane fertilizers. Do you think every 2 days is too much?

First thing I recommend is getting a proper soil test. If there is a univeristy in the area or an agricultural soil testing lab use them. If you are in a non legal state assuming you are in the USA tell them you are growing hops in a high tunnel.

If you are using a liquid fertilizer I reccomend giving a heavy feeding once a week rather than every two days. If you would like to liquid fertilize with every watering I would reduce dosage about 66%. In black dirt land drainage can be a problem so nutrients especially water soluble nutrients will stay in the soil longer.

After this crop cycle I would dry amend the soil per soil test reccomendations, i.e. adding lime or gypsum and compost incorporation.

If you are having drainage issuse, one of the best options is adding tile deep underneath the soil. Tile is large diameter perferated pipe just for referece.

Top Bottom