Greenhouse with shade when to take it off or leave it on to avoid burn?

• Thread starter TOKEZARD2169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TOKEZARD2169

TOKEZARD2169

Hey there second year growing outdoors in Michigan and first time growing in a greenhouse. My question is without the 50% shade I have this summer my greenhouse would get up to 130 in it. But right now with it on its 103 so I assume I don't or won't need to take it off unless there is cooler days but so far it's 90 degrees here and warmer in it. I know they need all the sunlight and I understand cannabis grows in hot places but I assume don't want them too fried in the greenhouse. So is the shade perfect for hot days like that then and when it's around the lower 80s take it off? Any help would be appreciated!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Mid Michigan Greenhouse Grower Here -

I have my greenhouse situated in full sunlight. Temperature here today is about 90 F and my greenhouse is at 100 F. I have not used my 20% shade screen at all this summer. If your greenhouse is that hot without shade protection, please post a picture so we can come up with a workable plan to address it. Cannabis will grow in some extreme temperatures but you want it as close to outside ambient temperatures that you can muster.

I do have pics of the inside of my greenhouse in my profile.

TOKEZARD2169

TOKEZARD2169

Mid Michigan Greenhouse Grower Here -

I have my greenhouse situated in full sunlight. Temperature here today is about 90 F and my greenhouse is at 100 F. I have not used my 20% shade screen at all this summer. If your greenhouse is that hot without shade protection, please post a picture so we can come up with a workable plan to address it. Cannabis will grow in some extreme temperatures but you want it as close to outside ambient temperatures that you can muster.

I do have pics of the inside of my greenhouse in my profile.
It's 103 right now with the shade on if I took it off it would be 130 or sometimes more. But my shade makes it an even 100 so that works then?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm not sure without knowing how much light is making it through to your plants. Mine are thriving without any shade screen. It's very bright in mine but I'm still able to control the greenhouse temps using fans and opening up the East and West windows.

Mine would have similar temps as yours does without the use of my intake and exhaust fans and my two 16" oscillating fans that are 30" off the ground.

Edit: Are you able to post a picture of your setup?

Last edited:
TOKEZARD2169

TOKEZARD2169

I'm not sure without knowing how much light is making it through to your plants. Mine are thriving without any shade screen. It's very bright in mine but I'm still able to control the greenhouse temps using fans and opening up the East and West windows.

Mine would have similar temps as yours does without the use of my intake and exhaust fans and my two 16" oscillating fans that are 30" off the ground.
I mean It's still showing light in the greenhouse not as much as it would be without it. But if I want more light in their then it would be hotter if I took it off I have all the windows and doors open. I need to get fans I would assume that would help.
20220722 103119

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I mean It's still showing light in the greenhouse not as much as it would be without it. But if I want more light in their then it would be hotter if I took it off I have all the windows and doors open. I need to get fans I would assume that would help.View attachment 1264303

Yes, even a couple of household box fans strategically placed will make a world of difference. It will lower the temp of course, but that airflow is also critical in keeping your plants healthy. This will be even more critical once we approach fall and you're trying to control the rH.

The cooler you can keep it means the more light you can allow through to your plants. On a plus note, your plants don't seem to be suffering now, but as your space fills up that could change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom