Grim Reefer Takes A Stab At It

• Thread starter Grim Reefer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Grim Reefer

Grim Reefer Takes A Stab At It. TGA Querkle & Deep Purple

Hello good people. Here is my first grow attempt. Thanks for looking. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Equipment:
5x5x8 Tent
XXXL Magnum AC Hood
Switchable/Dimable 1000watt digital ballast
600 watt MH for Veg
1000 watt HPS Eye Hortilux for Flower
Dehumidifier (because I live in a very humid area. Without it humidity stays close to 80%)

Soil:
Fox Farm
Happy Frog

Nutes:
House and Garden line.

The Talent:
5 x TGA Deep Purple seeds
5 x TGA Querkle seeds

-I soaked them 24 hours and then put between paper towels. 9 of 10 popped.
-Transplanted all of them to jiffy pellets under a humidity dome and a T-5 once I saw sprout above ground.

This picture is day 3 from the day I began germination (left 5 are Querkle. Right 5 are Deep Purple.):
http://i843.invalid.com/albums/zz356/Bongzilla_420/e0620def.jpg

The Querkles are growing faster than the DPs. The top DP is the one that didn't pop. I'm gonna toss it soon.

Today is day 4 and I planted the Jiffy pellets into small vented containers with 2 parts FoxFarm/1 part Happy Frog. Distiller water, PH checked. I will begin nutes in one week. Began the 600 Watt MH 18/6. The light is approx 5 feet from the babies now. The hood and fan do a great job of keeping the heat out. I actually had to turn the fan down a bit because my temps were a bit low.

Thanks for looking.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
howdy and welcome to the farrm!

looks like a good start - good luck with the grow

G

Grim Reefer

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll def be posting lots of pictures and asking questions. I've read a couple of books and have been lurking quite a bit, but I'm learning very quickly that practical application is a whole different sport.

Thanks in advance for stopping in and any input.

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

Welcome to the Farm Grim. I will be keeping an eye on these if you keep the thread going. I am about 5.5 weeks into flower on some really yummy smelling Querkle myself. Its also my first grow but seems like so far so good. I just love baby plants they are so adorable. Dont try to do to much for them until they have been growing for a couple weeks beside move them into pots when you feel they are ready.

C

cehak

Yeah, and also I would leave them under that t5 until you're ready for your first transplant. That light is plenty for them little seedlings.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
yep

got to get your hands dirty .....
welcome brother
happy harvest :hi

seeds have 14 days worth of food stored in the endosperm
watch them let them tell you what they need

G

Grim Reefer

Welcome to the Farm Grim. I will be keeping an eye on these if you keep the thread going. I am about 5.5 weeks into flower on some really yummy smelling Querkle myself. Its also my first grow but seems like so far so good. I just love baby plants they are so adorable. Dont try to do to much for them until they have been growing for a couple weeks beside move them into pots when you feel they are ready.
Thanks Dr. I've checked out your grow. Very nice! As you know it's hard for newbie not to wanna just smother these babies with love, but it's sinking in..."just leave them alone..."
Yeah, and also I would leave them under that t5 until you're ready for your first transplant. That light is plenty for them little seedlings.

Ok. Ive had them under the 600watt MH for 18 hours, just checked them and they're looking really good. Is the 600 just a waste of energy and money at this point, or should I leave it if they seem to be handling it ok?

got to get your hands dirty .....
welcome brother
happy harvest :hi

seeds have 14 days worth of food stored in the endosperm
watch them let them tell you what they need

Thank you. I will listen to this. I appreciate the guidance and the welcome.

Great community!

C

cehak

hey man i mean if it's working it's working. Yes, it is a waste of energy and money, but I wouldn't worry about it because they'll be ready for the 600 soon anyway. For future reference, leave them under the t5's until you see roots then transplant them to a bigger home and under your 600w.

G

Grim Reefer

hey man i mean if it's working it's working. Yes, it is a waste of energy and money, but I wouldn't worry about it because they'll be ready for the 600 soon anyway. For future reference, leave them under the t5's until you see roots then transplant them to a bigger home and under your 600w.

Thanks Cehak. Will do.

C

cehak

I know how it is man, you wanna do so much. I just had my first hydro grow not too long ago. I got a thrip infestation 2nd week into veg because I brought a soil plant into my house to attempt to save it. Catastrophe.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Hello Grim

If you have trouble getting a seed to sprout you may scuff unpopped seed with some sand paper or try adding a little hydrogen peroxide to that seed. Just use the 3% you get at wallmart or wherever and add a cap ful right to the seed area. Once the seed gets mushy its dead

i grew Querkle a couple years ago and got a killer purple girl that I eventually lost. I've also grown his Double Purple Doja which was also excellent more of an indica buzz
Hope you get some happy reefer
I do like the grim reaper musky lure

mal

G

Grim Reefer

Hey Mal- thanks for dropping in. You are right on the money because that last seed actually popped today, just took 4 days longer than the other 9, assuming now it was because of a tougher shell.

Next time I will scuff them up a bit first. Thank you for that insight. I'm def looking forward to this grow. The pics I've seen of some of the other Farmer's Querkle and Deep Purple are unreal. And the smell...I can't wait for the smell...

I'm a big fan of the body high from Purple Indicas. I get a bit of anxiety from the soaring Sativa strains. GDP is one of my fav strains to medicate with, but I wanted to start with seed, and thought these would be as close as it gets.

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

Thanks Dr. I've checked out your grow. Very nice! As you know it's hard for newbie not to wanna just smother these babies with love, but it's sinking in..."just leave them alone..."

Dont feel to bad Grim this was my biggest and still is my biggest problem in my grow room. wanting to do more for the girls than they need me to do. They need your love and tender care but the biggest thing to learn is when loving them means doing nothing at all.

G

Grim Reefer

Hey Farmers-

Question: one of my seedling babies has fallen over. They're all approx 4-6" tall now. It's day 8 today. This morning they were all fine, but tonight I found one of my taller babies fell over. It looks as if it's too top heavy and the stalk couldn't support the leaves on top.

I supported it with the plastic name tab, to get it to stand again.

Any suggestions on how to handle or what I'm doing wrong that the stalk can't support the weight of the leaves?

Thank you...

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lower the liights and get a fan blowing on them

G

Grim Reefer

Ok. I had an oscilating fan blowing on them...very lightly, just a shimmy and thought that maybe that was the culprit so I turned it off, but I'll put it back on and lower the light.

Thanks.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
what kind of lights you using bro?

if ts flouros you can get them just right above them

G

Grim Reefer

600 watt MH. Had it about 4 feet away. I have a exhaust fan and an AC hood which keeps the light pretty cool though.

I just lowered it about another 18".

Top Bottom