groClone (BUBBLE CLONER) operatiing instructions

• Thread starter Greyskull
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greyskull

Greyskull

aloha everyone.
i am using my groclone bubble cloner for propogation (as my pump died on my ezclone 60 after a good few years constant service... instead of replacing the pump i broke out the old groclone) now, and was brushing up on how to achieve optimal results.
i found an old email containing an attachment of the groclone instructions (not available on the website) and thought it was something other bubble cloners might want to peruse for the sake of stimulating the mind in the pursuit of successful root growth.

i have had great results following these instructions in the past (before i started using the ezclone) achieving roots in max 14 days. i just started a new batch last night (4/29) so i'll know soon enough if the methods are consistent enough for me to rely on for my crops. i'd be really surprised if it fails me..... and i am kinda hoping it wins me over the ezclone for some odd reason ha ha ha

heres those instructions... enjoy!

Operating Instruction

1. Rinse tray and lid. Place unit on a hard level surface so air is able to move under it and so the water is level. Fill tray with water to a level of 1/8” below the lid. Use fresh clean water that is low in minerals and contaminates measuring less than 300 parts per million (ppm). – We have tested with various types of water and have found that we get the best root development with a bottled spring water (not distilled/ purified/ RO).

2. Adjust the water temperature in reservoir close to 60 degrees Fahrenheit by adding ice or warm water as needed. This one time temperature adjustment will help prevent stem curl. If stem curl develops, make sure a portion of the curled stem remains submerged in water.

3. Adjust PH range between 6.2 and 7.2; if it falls with in this range, there is no need to ad anything to the water.

4. Connect one end of the rubber hose to the barb on the pump and the other end to the regulator valve (see diagram).

5. Submerge and attach the pump to the pump pad on the inside of the reservoir tray at around a 45-degree angle (see diagram). The pump should be touching the bottom of the tray and completely submerged in water. Make sure the rubber hose is not kinked. Plug the water pump into 120v/60hz power supply.

6. Close the regulator to shut off most of the air supply to the water pump. Note the speed at which reservoirs water is moving. You want to add in as much air to the pump as possible while maintaining close to the same speed of water movement as noted. As you slowly open the regulator you will see fast moving, very fine bubbles exiting the pumps outlet. This procedure can be seen easily by shining a flashlight near the pump outlet. You want to open the regulator to a point where you start seeing a small change in water speed. *Do not open the regulator to a point where the water is moving slow and creating large bubbles accompanied by excessive noise*. The desired objective is to maintain a balance of fast moving water flow in combination with a stream of fine air bubbles. IF THE PUMP IS SURGING THE AIR INTO THE WATER, THIS IS OK. The rubber insert part # GC 8 is not required for operation. It is only there to smooth surging. (See diagram)

7. Place the pump cord through the corner lid cup. Place the air hose with regulator through the next cup (See diagram). Close the lid to the tray and you are now ready to place your cuttings in the lid.

8. Periodically check the air regulator adjustment and maintain the water level.

9. It’s important to clean the groClone after finishing one batch of clones and starting another. Wash all parts with water and bleach solution (5% bleach) then rinse thoroughly with clean water.

Notes: Do not grow long roots next to the pump so as to interfere with its operation. The + / – adjustment on the pump can be in any position.
Cutting Instructions

10. This process needs to be done in a timely manner because of the cuttings demand for water, as they can wilt and not recover.
a. Using a healthy, clonable plant, cut a 4-inch cutting with a fresh razor blade at a 45-degree angle from the top of a branch or the top of a plant. AVOID the use of scissors in taking your cuttings to prevent crushing the stems and thus avoiding the possibility of dead material being introduced into the unit and preventing bacterial contamination. Use sharp clean razor blades.

B. DIP THE CUTTING INTO THE TRAY’S PRE-ADJUSTED WATER QUICKLY. Testing is ongoing with the various solutions, hormones, etc…. Out on the market. If Hormones are used , lightly dip the wound of the cutting only. Please call for recommendations. Please do not use system with powdered additives as they may damage the pump. This will void replacement.

c. The lower portion of the cutting would now be trimmed of all large leaves and branches so you have a bare stem below the foam. Please leave some leaf on the cutting. (see diagram)

d. Place cutting inside of the foam disk so that the lower end will extend from the foam about 2 inches.

e. Place the foam disk (with cutting) into one of the lids plant locations. This will be done for the desired number of cuts. The lower portion of these clones should remain submerged in the oxygen rich, circulating water through the entire rooting process. When viewing for roots, stems should be out of water for very short periods of time. Place the groclone under 18 to 24 hour a day lighting. Use full or natural color spectrum 2 bulb standard fluorescent light. Keep light 2 to 4 inches above cuttings until they develop roots. If using High output lighting like T-5 or MH lights they should be raised to a height so intensity on the cuttings are close to that of a 2 bulb standard fluorescent.

f. Maintain room temperatures between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit, 80 degrees being optimum. I frequently use a small fan pointed at a wall, not at the cuttings to keep the air moving.
After the cuttings have formed a small root mass they can be planted into a medium of choice, and grown to maturity. This procedure would produce an exact genetic copy of the plant that it was taken from. On soft stem plants the rooting process should take no longer than 5 to 14 days.

W

~WK~

Hi Grayskull. I just began useing a groclone. The only thing I didn't do is PH adjust the water, although I think I may test the Ph and adjust as necessary. We'll see how this thing works. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but more good than bad.

K

kindindy123

Hi Grayskull. I just began useing a groclone. The only thing I didn't do is PH adjust the water, although I think I may test the Ph and adjust as necessary. We'll see how this thing works. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but more good than bad.

the groclone, was the 1st cloner i bought,they used to say you could root a popcycle stick,haha,the directions that came with it, very important if you dont know much about theory of propargation,i still use once in a while but in the summer mnths i like to use verm&perl /w dome&mist, big prefference!!! good luck

Greyskull

Greyskull

the first few times the groclone worked like a world champ for me.
then i got an ez gifted, and tried them both head to head... ez came out on top.... so i gave the groclone to my cuz.
well, since it was returned (and the pump in the ez went out) i figured i'd give the groclone a chance...

maybe my cuz fucked up and got bacteria or something in the pump but my dumb ass should have realized after the 2st batch of 53 died something was wrong... but instead of replacing the pump i cleaned with bleach and tried another 53... all dead again. so i cleaned again and tried another 53...

maybe i need to buy a new pummp for the groclone??? doesn't matter much now as I replaced the bad pump in the ez and have been rocking again.

that said, as long as you don;t have a potentially slime/bacteria infested pump, you should be cool and the gang. ph 6.0 for sure though... whether you need to adjust it or not depends on the water but you'll find it best around 6.0

good luck

curious to hear your results.

might make me go replace that stupid pump

W

~WK~

In 7 days I have one clone rooting already the others look like they should start soon.(fingers crossed)

P

paco666

just purchased a groClone as a permanent resident in my soon 2 be mother box.....
in the summer mnths i like to use verm&perl /w dome&mist, big prefference!!!

would like to know your dome&mist method as i just killed several mj, heirloom tomato, and kuke cuttings in a dome... thought they were gonna b ok ......

Greyskull

Greyskull

i think the problem with my groclone and cuts dying has to do with the supplied air pump being possibly 'contaminated" with bacteria/fungus or something...

I went to the shop and bought 2 x 12" bubble bars, hooked them up to an airstone, phd the water to 5.8, and loaded up 45 cuts. the cuts are not the most healthy looking (they were donated by my cousin who finishes crops great but leaves a little something to be desired in his veg stages) but they have been 'up' for 24hrs now.

we'll see how it goes...

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

just purchased a groClone as a permanent resident in my soon 2 be mother box.....

would like to know your dome&mist method as i just killed several mj, heirloom tomato, and kuke cuttings in a dome... thought they were gonna b ok ......

don't leave the dome on so long, once they start lookin'
good, start taking the dome off for an hour or so at a
time until, after a couple days, you can just leave it off.

i think the problem with my groclone and cuts dying has to do with the supplied air pump being possibly 'contaminated" with bacteria/fungus or something...

I went to the shop and bought 2 x 12" bubble bars, hooked them up to an airstone, phd the water to 5.8, and loaded up 45 cuts. the cuts are not the most healthy looking (they were donated by my cousin who finishes crops great but leaves a little something to be desired in his veg stages) but they have been 'up' for 24hrs now.

we'll see how it goes...

and Grey, for less than $10.00 bucks (that includes the vermiculite)
you should give that ice-tube-tray cloner a try, i'm telling
you, it works like a charm!

15799wally cloner 006
Clone2 smll
W

~WK~

I don't think you need a dome with the groclone. They should have plenty of moisture coming up through the stem. I just changed my water yesterday, it was looking alittle cloudy, I didn't think it looked good so I put more fresh water in. Although I'm not going to jinx myself, but so far all the cuts in the groclone look healthy, and all look like they are getting ready to start rooting.Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom