Grow #1: 1x Harlequin, 1x OGiesel, 1x Blackwater

• Thread starter Sullimo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sullimo

Greetings fellow farmers!

I am a legally compliant user of medicinal cannabis, growing for my own personal medicine and to share with those who also benefit from its use. Up until now, I have been farming organically outdoors, enjoying the simplicity of Mother Nature :). I have enjoyed several successful harvests of high quality buds, including strains such as Blue Dream, OG Kush, AK-47, GDP, Tangerine Kush and a few others whose names escape me. I am constantly trying new strains, looking for the best... lately I find myself nostalgic over the strains I enjoyed in the 90s, such as Grapefruit, NL#5xSkunk, Haze, etc. Hoping I might be able to find some of those genetics in my adventures.

Anywho, I have decided to take my medicine indoors over the fall/winter season, and use it as a way to experiment even in the spring and summer. My operation is modest - I am using a spare closet in my office.

My key considerations are 1) discretion, 2) affordability, 3) top quality cannabis. I wanted my operation to be able to be broken down in an hour tops if necessary... it's a product of my paranoia that I never quite lost as a teenager. This meant that nothing could be mounted into a wall or bolted down in any way. Everything is held together via bungees, rope ratchets, and those 3M Command hooks that stick to the wall. The plants are shielded from exterior light by using a tension bar (for a shower) with a white vinyl shower liner on the interior and two black vinyl shower liners on the exterior. The exhaust ducting is bent up and over the tension bar, and held in place with bungees and hooks - all power cords are held off to the side with hooks and tied together with cord ties.

I wanted to keep costs low, so I opted for a soil grow to avoid additional hardware requirements and electricity use from pumps, etc. I have 4 things plugged in, 1 light and 3 fans.

Hardware:
  • Sunburst 400w HPS/MH Conversion - integrated ballast
  • Exhaust Fan, mounted to Sunburst Ballast
  • 6" Mini Fan trained on plant tops
  • Cylinder style oscillating fan
  • 3 gallon Fiber Pots to promote breathable medium/air prune roots

Plants are potted in Fox Farm Happy Frog soil, which already contains mycorrhizae. The local shop had a pack of Mykos for a few bucks, so I picked that up and added some to the pots, and plan to add another dose of it shortly. Each 3 gallon pot was loaded with the base soil to within ~3 inches of the rim, then amended as follows:
5 tbsp. granular dolomite lime
3 tbsp. granular humic acid
3 tbsp. azomite
3 tbsp. green sand
3 tbsp. cottonseed meal
3 tbsp. blood meal
3 tbsp. alfalfa meal
3 tbsp. kelp meal
3 tbsp. bone meal
3 tbsp. cottonseed meal

I have OCD and an obsession with the number 3 :P.

I am also using the following nutrients and supplements:

The clones were picked up at my local dispensary, I run 3 plants at a time, and currently have 1x Harlequin, 1x OGiesel (OG Kush x Diesel) and 1x Blackwater (dude said it was OG Kush x Blackberry).

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping track with photos or a journal, so this is mostly off memory up to today... but I will use this for motivation to keep track of everything moving forward.

My plan is to run the plants in vegetative for a very short period - space is limited, and this will also save me money by 1) not requiring lights be on as much and 2) I don't need to feed the plants as much, or invest in vegetative nutrients... the enriched soil will have everything the ladies need combined with the supplements... I hope!

On 11/18, I potted the clones in their new homes, adding ~1" plain Happy Frog base to the tops of the pots for the roots to grow out into. They were watered with a healthy dose of molasses, superthrive, and diluted fish emulsion and placed under the light with about 36"+ clearance. They were given a foliar feeding of Seaweed Extract, Fulvic Acid, Neem Oil and Maxi Cal.

At this point I was getting super excited and started hitting the ladies with daily doses of food. They were loving it, but I think I overdid it and caused nutrient lock out. I started to cut back on food and just gave mostly diluted supplements. I'll chalk this mistake up to over excitement - I want monsters!

On 11/28 I kicked off the 12/12 light cycle. The ladies immediately shot out new growth and started to stretch... they're still in progress.

Today I've pulled the girls out, gave them each a 2 gallon flush of pure water, and then gave them a 1/2 strength feeding of General Organics Bio Bud/Bloom, and a full strength dose of Hygrozyme. They also were given a 1/4 strength foliar application of Superthrive, Cal/Mg+, and Neem Oil which I've let rest for a few hours and will wash off with pure water when I finish typing this.

That's about all for now... I'll sneak a photo up of the girls so you can see their progress. Wish me luck! :banana1sv6:
- Sullimo

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
nice - seems like a solid plan - look forward to some pix

S

Sullimo

I'd like to introduce you to the ladies...clockwise: OGiesel, Harlequin, Blackwater.

On the OGiesel, I have a bit of yellowing on the edges of some interior leaf you can see in the photo - any ideas?

On the Blackwater, the leaf edges on a few fan leaves are curling upwards. I thought it was humidity or heat stress, so I brought the humidity up from 30% to 55% and raised the lights about 6" (now at about 16-18" above canopy)... fingers crossed it's nothing major.

Any input or advice is welcome!

My pots are mulched with white marble stones to keep the roots cool and let those feeder roots get right up to the top of the soil. They also help disperse the water when feeding, and reflect light up to the plants. That's my thought anyways!

OGiesel12032011
Harlequin12032011
Blackwater12032011
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
looks very nice - love the layer of rock at the top of the pots

will really help keep down gnats as well - they like to be able to dive bomb back into the medium

RIVAL79

RIVAL79

Funk Master!
Supporter
Looking good so far. The Blackwater is Mendo Purp x SFV OG. Those rocks will def help keep the bugs down. OGiesel is some dank as well. Good luck with everything.

J

Jellybean

Yum yum harlequin def med marijuana great for pain relief mellow buzz great taste! High cbd.

I 2nd the stones as well combined with some yellow traps the gnats will be screwed.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I saw "Harlequin" in the title and had to look...Love that strain. Very frosty

Looking good Sullimo !

Im subbed

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Looking good so far. Good luck, will keep an eye out for updates.

Top Bottom