Grow #2 - Barney's Farm Acapulco Gold Feminized

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

We have begun planning our second grow. Our first is about a month away from harvest, so we're looking forward to applying what we have learned. Another positive is that we'll be starting with most of the equipment we'll need. During the first grow, we just added things as issues arose.

Strain: Barney’s Farm Acapulco Gold, feminized
Soil: Fox Farm Happy Frog
Nutrients: Mostly Fox Farm Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. Also Bloom City Clean Kelp.
Pots: AC Infinity 7-gallon fabric
Drainage: Trivets & saucers
Growth Method: Topping and LST
Number of Plants: 4
Start Date: Late September

ninjadip

ninjadip

That's so cool! I'm in the same place you are! I'm also about a month away on my first grow/flower, and already planning my second grow.
What size tent, ventilation, and what lights are you using?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

That's so cool! I'm in the same place you are! I'm also about a month away on my first grow/flower, and already planning my second grow.
What size tent, ventilation, and what lights are you using?
We have a 48x48x80 tent and two Viparspectra XS2000 lights. For ventilation, we have an AC Infinity S6 and have the Controller 69 WiFi on order. It's supposed to ship soon.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

We have begun planning our second grow. Our first is about a month away from harvest, so we're looking forward to applying what we have learned. Another positive is that we'll be starting with most of the equipment we'll need. During the first grow, we just added things as issues arose.

Strain: Barney’s Farm Acapulco Gold, feminized
Soil: Fox Farm Happy Frog
Nutrients: Mostly Fox Farm Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. Also Bloom City Clean Kelp.
Pots: AC Infinity 7-gallon fabric
Drainage: Trivets & saucers
Growth Method: Topping and LST
Number of Plants: 4
Start Date: Late September

That's fkin awesome and I'd like to follow along if ya don't mind. I'm growing 2 Barneys Farms fems right now. The 1st seeds I ever bought were last year and they were some White Widows and some Acapulco Golds. Would be cool to see them grown. Are they supposed to grow taller than avg?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

That's fkin awesome and I'd like to follow along if ya don't mind. I'm growing 2 Barneys Farms fems right now. The 1st seeds I ever bought were last year and they were some White Widows and some Acapulco Golds. Would be cool to see them grown. Are they supposed to grow taller than avg?
You're welcome to follow the thread. I considered White Widow and may grow some in the future.

I've never grown this modernized version of Acapulco Gold, so I don't have many answers about growing it. For this grow, I'm thinking about flipping them when they're 18 to 24 inches tall. I believe I may have let my first plants grow too big, which made them hard to manage. I learned a lot from my first grow and from this forum, so I'm eager to start the next grow and hopefully do better.

Sativa typically grows taller than other strains. My understanding is that this strain isn't typical sativa. It (supposedly) has been bred to provide a similar experience as the Acapulco Gold of long ago. There was a long discussion about this strain in this thread: barneys farm Acapulco gold grow. Some folks thought it looked more like an indica strain. Appearances can be deceiving, though.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Good luck
Thanks! I'm hoping I won't need luck, but I'll take it if I can get it. Even though grow #1 was a disaster due to spider mites, I learned a lot and am eager to begin grow #2. I'll have more to write about it soon.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

We're almost ready to start Grow #2.

Unlike Grow #1, we should have everything we'll need before we begin. For #1, we started our plants outside. We didn't have a tent or lights or anything. We just added things as we went, learning as we went. This time, we're well much better equipped before we start.

Bringing outside plants inside may have been what doomed the first grow. We'll probably never know exactly how the spider mites made their way into our grow tent, but they sure did. Hopefully they won't this time. We're a bit worried that some spider mites could make their way into the new grow room via the lights or the fan or maybe even the dehumidifier. We think that's unlikely, but we'll clean everything just in case. The first grow tent has been inactive for several weeks now and any spider mites that hatched should have died from starvation by now. Some of their eggs could still be viable, if there are any. We disposed of the plants and soil the second week of September. This time, at least, we'll know how to deal with spider mites if they do appear.

Here's the equipment we have for Grow #2.
  • Tent: AC Infinity 642 (4x2). We'll be growing in a smaller room so we decided to use a smaller tent.
  • Lights: We have two Viparspectra XS2000s (from grow #1) and one XS1000. We're not sure which ones we'll use.
  • Fan: AC Infinity S6 six inch inline fan.
  • Controller: AC Infinity Controller 69 WiFi. We had it on order for more than a month. It just shipped and should arrive Wednesday.
  • Silencer: Also from AC Infinity.
  • Soil: FF Happy Frog.
  • Nutrients: Also from FF.
So, we're almost ready to begin again. We just have to prepare the room. We plan to have everything ready before we sprout any seeds.

We're eager to use the Controller 69 this time (even though we haven't seen it yet). As of now, the only thing we have that it will control is the fan. I'm ordering one of their control plugs to see how well that works. We wanted to use one of their fans, but they're out of stock. I'm curious to see how well the sensor works. We used a sensor for our first grow that was very helpful, but it didn't connect to a controller.

steamroller

steamroller

Look into the fox farm 'Wholly Mackerel' for your veg fert.
I use FF and add the Wholly Mackerel along with the Big bloom and Grow big !
I use it through at least half of flowering but in declining amounts.
One smell and you will know..

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Look into the fox farm 'Wholly Mackerel' for your veg fert.
I use FF and add the Wholly Mackerel along with the Big bloom and Grow big !
I use it through at least half of flowering but in declining amounts.
One smell and you will know..
Thanks! I will look into it. I do need to buy more fertilizer. For Grow #1, we used the two for vegetation from the three-pack FF sells. I've also used CleanKelp, a seaweed and kelp fertilizer supplement by Bloom City. That's also good for vegetation.

steamroller

steamroller

I don't use the tiger bloom. Read many " tiger bloom killed my plants" threads and articles?
I go right to the dry 3 from FF when I flip. Open Sesame/ Beastie Blooms/ Cha Ching.
They are worth looking into for sure.
FF has feed schedules that can be used as a guideline to see if your plants are keeping up..
I find the ferts easy for a beginner like me.If I am light I can always add more.
Using all 3 Big bloom, Grow big and wholly mackerel at 1 tablespoon each for 3-5 gallons many of my plants just wanted even more!
3 different ferts for flower make you keep track of time for sure..

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I don't use the tiger bloom. Read many " tiger bloom killed my plants" threads and articles?
I go right to the dry 3 from FF when I flip. Open Sesame/ Beastie Blooms/ Cha Ching.
They are worth looking into for sure.
FF has feed schedules that can be used as a guideline to see if your plants are keeping up..
I find the ferts easy for a beginner like me.If I am light I can always add more.
Using all 3 Big bloom, Grow big and wholly mackerel at 1 tablespoon each for 3-5 gallons many of my plants just wanted even more!
3 different ferts for flower make you keep track of time for sure..
We're a long way from flipping. I have FF's schedule. It seems to me that it would be hard to convince plants to follow anyone's schedule. I'm not eager to try a lot of different things this grow. My first ended in disaster, so I mostly just want to grow to a successful completion. I'll be thinking about your suggestions, though.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Best of luck on your new grow, sounds like you have a great plan!

FWIW, I've been following @steamroller for a while and the man knows what he is talking about with soil. He is far from a beginner as he humbly asserts. Lots of bad info out there but steamroller is solid and trustworthy IMO.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

It has begun!

I started sprouting seeds yesterday. I have them hanging in a dark closet. I'm being optimistic that both seeds will sprout. If not, I can sprout more. I saw on a YouTube video that hanging the bag vertically will cause the tap root to grow downward due to gravity. That seemed like a good idea, so I'm giving it a try. I used filtered and boiled water.

I'm using a different tent for this grow. This time it's a 2x4. It fit nicely in a closet after I removed the sliding doors. There are two Viparspectra XS2000 (240 Watt) lights. I won't need as much light as these can provide, so I probably won't be running them at full power. I added small computer-type, three-inch fans to the heat sinks to keep them cooler. There's also a six-inch inline fan with a silencer pulling air from the top of the tent.

I have an ACI Controller 69 Pro according to the box it came in. It's called the Controller 69 WiFi on ACI's order page. I haven't hooked it up yet, but that shouldn't be difficult. I'm not sure where to put the sensor, though. This is my first use of this controller, so I have some learning ahead of me.

The seven-gallon fabric pots from ACI are filled with Fox Farm Happy Frog mixed with rice hulls. These are smaller than the pots I used for Grow #1. They are sitting on plant stands inside saucers. I'll mostly be using Fox Farm nutrients, too.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

good luck with your grow . i will be starting another barneys gold grow when my current grows are done

Top Bottom