Grow 2 - Indoor - Auto Bluetooth, Caramelicious and Magnum from MSNL

• Thread starter Gashuffer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Alrighty, figured I’d check in as Carmelicious has really taken a beating. The only things I can think of causing this are:

The soil being hot for whatever reason. I had nothing with slow release nutrients in my mix. Unlikely as the burn doesn’t start at the tips too.

Or, pH fluctuations. When I accidentally watered the gallon or so from my drip system, the pH was not adjusted and my tap water is usually in the 8.2-8.5 range. And then I pHed my superthrive/seaweed mix to 6.7.

the burns look more aligned with pH fluctuations than nutrient burn.

My only explanation for why Carmelicious and not the other two is that maybe this strain is just more sensitive to pH fluctuations.

Thoughts?

207E50CA 59B7 4294 8CD6 21BFAAC147A1

6991682F 2D2E 4A14 9E62 3A9CD87F9336

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Alrighty, figured I’d check in as Carmelicious has really taken a beating. The only things I can think of causing this are:

The soil being hot for whatever reason. I had nothing with slow release nutrients in my mix. Unlikely as the burn doesn’t start at the tips too.

Or, pH fluctuations. When I accidentally watered the gallon or so from my drip system, the pH was not adjusted and my tap water is usually in the 8.2-8.5 range. And then I pHed my superthrive/seaweed mix to 6.7.

the burns look more aligned with pH fluctuations than nutrient burn.

My only explanation for why Carmelicious and not the other two is that maybe this strain is just more sensitive to pH fluctuations.

Thoughts?

That is WILD. I'm having a similar issue with hot soil on some seedlings but only with one strain... HSC's Squirt. My soil is rich anyway. but it's weird. Some of them came out with almost variegated leaves almost like a nute deficiency but that's not possible. They definitely are not over watered. It has to be the soil. Our PH is rock solid coming out of our well. Soil is well drained. No cupping.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Your issue is not watering properly. You need to saturate the entire media then let it dry well before watering. I would still consider this a soil blend.

By watering a little like that in hot media it cause the ferts to become very concentrated (burning the plants), the media to have dry spots (roots don't grow into dry soil), the ph around the roots to drop and overall uneven media conditions.

Saturate the entire pot by hand so you get the entire media wet so this means until you see runoff.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Your issue is not watering properly. You need to saturate the entire media then let it dry well before watering. I would still consider this a soil blend.

By watering a little like that in hot media it cause the ferts to become very concentrated (burning the plants), the media to have dry spots (roots don't grow into dry soil), the ph around the roots to drop and overall uneven media conditions.

Saturate the entire pot by hand so you get the entire media wet so this means until you see runoff.

I thought with seedlings, you shouldn't saturate? I've intentionally been metering less water for the first week or so.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought with seedlings, you shouldn't saturate? I've intentionally been metering less water for the first week or so.
Some say that but IMO you should saturate, roots font grow into fry soil as i explained. Not uncommon to see this and I may recommend starting smaller and up potting as they grow

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Some say that but IMO you should saturate, roots font grow into fry soil as i explained. Not uncommon to see this and I may recommend starting smaller and up potting as they grow

You're right man. If you have well draining soil (perlite, uh rocks lol, partial sand mixes for stronger nutes <-- don't recommend that), and in a grow bag? I'm all about it. I let it rip until the water starts coming out of the bottom of the bag. And that's it until it dries back up. As with anything... the plant tells you when it's thirsty. I let the fan leaves JUST begin to droop and do it again. Works for me. Might not work for other people.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Got it. I'll soak the F out of them tonight!

I won't be up potting them as they're Autos. But, I suppose that explains the up potting a bit more. You can still saturate the small pots and let roots grow and grow without stunting in dry soil of a larger pot.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Watered them this evening with the system. 4 min put out about 1-1/2 gallons, or 5.7L. So roughly about 1/2 gal or 1.9L per plant. See full video below if you’re interested! But, it’s 5 min long of watering and watching runoff collect, so it’s by no means exciting.

I have found tonight a problem that I did not experience last grow tho! Bugs. Sort of excited to deal with them, but also not. Lol. See pic below.

It looks like I may have caught a male and a female based on their shape difference. At one point they were butt to butt, I assume they were mating.

Is this a type to be worried about? They didn’t seem to bother the plants at all.....

@Aqua Man @Moshmen

48F0A413 BEF8 4A12 A588 1485AF6B0EBE

12FD541A 19D1 4DEA AC2A CC7CA235C540

Movie of watering

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not a bug guy but fungus gnats???. A buddy swears by the yellow stickies and bti if that the case. Many other growers more well suited to help ya hear. I'm probably the worst lol.

Another swears by nematodes and some beetle.

I'm sure someone will chime in to help

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Cool ty for the input Aqua! I’ll go dig around for fungus gnats. I looked up all the typical bugs that harm cannabis and I didn’t see any that aligned with these.

My main question is do I need to get rid of them ASAP? Or can I just fight their population for the next 10 weeks or so?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cool ty for the input Aqua! I’ll go dig around for fungus gnats. I looked up all the typical bugs that harm cannabis and I didn’t see any that aligned with these.

My main question is do I need to get rid of them ASAP? Or can I just fight their population for the next 10 weeks or so?
Depends what they are... Let me tag some ppl who will know.

@MIMedGrower @PlumberSoCal @Beachwalker @oldskol4evr @One drop @dire wolf

Hopefully they will respond. I tagged quite a few lol hope they don't mind.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well, that didn’t take long. Def fungus gnats, and def need to get rid of them.
Sounds like this particular bug has some pretty straight forward treatments. I’ll be trying 2 of them first due to their ease of availability. Unless the experts have some other voodoo that works here

diatomaceous earth and hydrogen peroxide mixture. Will update how this goes.
Caution with those DE can affect ph potential of the soil and hydrogen peroxide can kill all your microbes

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Well, that didn’t take long. Def fungus gnats, and def need to get rid of them.
Sounds like this particular bug has some pretty straight forward treatments. I’ll be trying 2 of them first due to their ease of availability. Unless the experts have some other voodoo that works here

diatomaceous earth and hydrogen peroxide mixture. Will update how this goes.

Not sure why the peroxide, straight DE will do the deal. Now these freaking spittle bugs... *&&^%% houdini mother I***&^&T$Rs. Damn things hide on the center stalk. If they see you, then they scoot around to the other side where you can't see them. I wouldn't really give a damn about them but they bite into the branch they are on, eat the "sap", and then literally piss a stream. So this little micro arc can be seen in the sunlight coming out of your plant. Sure tell is the piss stains on the leaves. Disgusting. I'd rather deal with fungus knats.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Definitely need yellow sticky cards hung over the canopy to monitor and catch fliers. Many suggest laying them across the pots as well.

I use Microbe lift (bti) at 4 drops per gallon and a massive infestation is now a flier or two here and there.

I never tried peroxide but read as it bubbles up it kills the larvae.

Also try to keep the room on the drier side as far as watering frequency.

Hope this helps.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Not sure why the peroxide, straight DE will do the deal. Now these freaking spittle bugs... *&&^%% houdini mother I***&^&T$Rs. Damn things hide on the center stalk. If they see you, then they scoot around to the other side where you can't see them. I wouldn't really give a damn about them but they bite into the branch they are on, eat the "sap", and then literally piss a stream. So this little micro arc can be seen in the sunlight coming out of your plant. Sure tell is the piss stains on the leaves. Disgusting. I'd rather deal with fungus knats.

What are spittle bugs? Sounds nasty.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Thanks for all of the quick input all. Sounds like DE can mess with pH and H2O2 can kill microbes. I’ll probably still try both, one at a time of course. No matter what happens, I’m still in the try it and experience it for myself mode with growing. Understand the potential outcomes, but give it a whirl!

But for sure get sticky traps, tape or cards of some sort.

Oh, and BTI, which sounds effective too. Any negatives with this option?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks for all of the quick input all. Sounds like DE can mess with pH and H2O2 can kill microbes. I’ll probably still try both, one at a time of course. No matter what happens, I’m still in the try it and experience it for myself mode with growing. Understand the potential outcomes, but give it a whirl!

But for sure get sticky traps, tape or cards of some sort.

Oh, and BTI, which sounds effective too. Any negatives with this option?

No ots safe for plants , pets and humans. It is a specific bacteria that only hurts mosquitos and gnats.

And i never had a problem with de affecting ph. I think its in an inert form until broken down into salicitic acid a little at a time. But is makes a sludgy mess and if too much top dressed it will start to hold more water clogging drainage.

I didnt use it for long. I wanted it for bug protection and silica availability.

Top Bottom