Grow advise in Ontario

• Thread starter Briand1234
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Briand1234

Briand1234

Why are they growing like this it's been 2 days and they havent straightened out? They sprouted August 1st. But now getting concerned cause they dont want to straighten there Cream Caramel Auto 8weeks from germination. Has anyone else had this issue as it's the first time it's ever happened to me.

20200803 141529
20200803 141544
20200803 141519
Briand1234

Briand1234

Also the one under the light looks over watered but I promise I gave it little water near the stock when it sprouted soil is pro mix organic vegetable and herb mix.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I would not be worrying about them yet there green maybe weak stems leaning them over.

Beaubuds128

Beaubuds128

You need a strains with a short flowering cycles....such as silver haze, Jack Herer, Durban poison, chocolope, Maui Wowie, Chemdog, white widow, green crack, Pineapple Express, blueberry, Hindu Kush, bubba kush, critical kush and more

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
They look like there struggling to transpire, my guess is humidity and temps might be off. I'm going through a very similar set of issues myself at the moment.

Briand1234

Briand1234

You need a strains with a short flowering cycles....such as silver haze, Jack Herer, Durban poison, chocolope, Maui Wowie, Chemdog, white widow, green crack, Pineapple Express, blueberry, Hindu Kush, bubba kush, critical kush and more
Next season I'm going to do a SLH, WW, Gelato, Do si do. For outdoor season in southern ontario going to have them hopefully sprouted by April 1st and have them veg inside till June.

Briand1234

Briand1234

Update on them they sprouted August 1st. Today's August 8th they're really tall and lanky one seems to like falling over so I had to twist tie it to a stick to make sure it doesn't keep falling over and snapping the stock.. all I did was set it in my porch for a night and they grew like 2inches and straightened right up brought back inside and put them back in and seem to be doing a-okay.

Received 950618652090789
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Look like there really reaching there. lights really look on the red side, you've got blue/full spectrum in there correct? they look light starved, bring your lights down? Mine were getting a bit stretched, but I lowered the lights and it seems to helped some.

Here's how mine are doing for comparison. Mine sprouted on both Aug 1 and 2. I hit them with some humic/kelp last night so I hope I didn't overdo it.

The bigger ones are about another 10 days ahead.

IMG 20200808 225846   Copy
IMG 20200808 225854   Copy
IMG 20200808 225901   Copy
Briand1234

Briand1234

It has a blue/red spectrum to it my buddy gave it to me and said it's a vegetative/bloom light they're no on off switch for either just together. I got them about 15inches away now. Might junk the light and get new one and just toss them in window for the time being. .

Here's the light my friend gave me it's cheap 50$ light -.- no wonder it doesn't seem to be good

Last edited:
Briand1234

Briand1234

Look like there really reaching there. lights really look on the red side, you've got blue/full spectrum in there correct? they look light starved, bring your lights down? Mine were getting a bit stretched, but I lowered the lights and it seems to helped some.

Here's how mine are doing for comparison. Mine sprouted on both Aug 1 and 2. I hit them with some humic/kelp last night so I hope I didn't overdo it.

The bigger ones are about another 10 days ahead.
They looking good wow. I might try starting them in peat pucks next run and see difference.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
For outdoors in Canada about the only breeder I'd use is PeakseedsBC. He has an excellent line of seeds for outdoor Canadian growing that start to flower earlier than most, but are not autoflowers. Biggest problems this far north is getting a cool wet fall that can mold the buds, and not having a strain that flowers early enough to take advantage of the suns seasonal position in the sky.. In Canada, the sun has dropped too low in the sky by October to be useful for flowering plants. It's just not intense enough, it's like trying to finish a plant under CFL's... not quite, but you get what I mean? You want strains that are finished and harvestable by mid to end of Sept ideally. If you have a lot of spare time you could look into light deprivation to trigger flowering sooner, that way you could grow whatever you want really. You should ideally have a greenhouse/poly hoop house to keep dew and rain off the plants in the fall also, otherwise you really take your chances with mother nature.

Last edited:
Briand1234

Briand1234

For outdoors in Canada about the only breeder I'd use is PeakseedsBC. He has an excellent line of seeds for outdoor Canadian growing that start to flower earlier than most, but are not autoflowers. Biggest problems this far north is getting a cool wet fall that can mold the buds, and not having a strain that flowers early enough to take advantage of the suns seasonal position in the sky.. In Canada, the sun has dropped too low in the sky by October to be useful for flowering plants. It's just not intense enough, it's like trying to finish a plant under CFL's... not quite, but you get what I mean? You want strains that are finished and harvestable by mid to end of Sept ideally. If you have a lot of spare time you could look into light deprivation to trigger flowering sooner, that way you could grow whatever you want really. You should ideally have a greenhouse/poly hoop house to keep dew and rain off the plants in the fall also, otherwise you really take your chances with mother nature.
The SLH I have from canuk seeds is a feminized and flower time is 11 weeks is that not good (Southern Ontario) the White Window, Gelato, Do Si Do are 8-9week flower times are those ones good? I'm new so I'll take that advice and next time I get seeds ill find end of September ones! I may have to trigger the SLH early

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The SLH I have from canuk seeds is a feminized and flower time is 11 weeks is that not good (Southern Ontario) the White Window, Gelato, Do Si Do are 8-9week flower times are those ones good? I'm new so I'll take that advice and next time I get seeds ill find end of September ones! I may have to trigger the SLH early
Flower times arent everything, how easily a plant is triggered to flower is almost more important outdoors, as is mold and pest resistance.
A good outdoor strain to me has to be somewhat sensitive to photoperiod so that it is starting to flower by late July, early Aug at the latest. Most indoor strains wont start flowering outside until mid to late August, which pushes the last month of flower into October when light levels are poor, and disease pressure is high.

But again in a greenhouse with a light deprivation tarp you can grow almost any indoor strain outdoors up here no problem by triggering it to flower manually. It's just extra work pulling the tarp on and off every day.

Briand1234

Briand1234

Flower times arent everything, how easily a plant is triggered to flower is almost more important outdoors, as is mold and pest resistance.
A good outdoor strain to me has to be somewhat sensitive to photoperiod so that it is starting to flower by late July, early Aug at the latest. Most indoor strains wont start flowering outside until mid to late August, which pushes the last month of flower into October when light levels are poor, and disease pressure is high.

But again in a greenhouse with a light deprivation tarp you can grow almost any indoor strain outdoors up here no problem by triggering it to flower manually. It's just extra work pulling the tarp on and off every day.
Is there any other way of triggering it into flower besides a tarp method? Like example shaking pot or trying to stress it or even cold water to make it think it's getting cold out? Examples as I have no idea if those work or not lol. So any photo period strains should be good for outdoor or?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Is there any other way of triggering it into flower besides a tarp method? Like example shaking pot or trying to stress it or even cold water to make it think it's getting cold out? Examples as I have no idea if those work or not lol. So any photo period strains should be good for outdoor or?
Not really for regular photos. But like I said some varieties start flowering sooner than others. Something crossed with say timewarp or mighty mite, while not an autoflower will usually start to flower 2-3 weeks before anything else outdoors. Other strains that do good outdoors if you can find them are Durban and Friesen, or friesen dew. Check out PeakseedsBC and have a look at their timewarp crosses. They always produce well outdoors in Canada. But most of his stuff does well outdoors to be honest.

Otherwise, in a greenhouse yeah you can do pretty much any photo with a dep tarp.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
They looking good wow. I might try starting them in peat pucks next run and see difference.

actually, I start them in napkins and transfer into jiffy pots (dollar store) then they go into tree seedling bags I buy on ebay. Air is the key, I've thrown out all my fancy expensive Air Pruning Pots in favor of cheap reusable fabric containers, I've got 1 gal, 2 gal and 3 gallon pots, nothing I grow will get bigger than those 3 gallon pots, you can get plants 12, 15 feet tall in them, as there way more efficient than any other type of pot, the root balls get super thick.

Airflow is key to everything roots, and where you got roots, you get growth. I also use a bit of azomite, (in the napkin) and also in the dirt, a mild mixture of rapid start on day 2 or 3 and a mixture of humic/kelp at day 5 or 7. That's pretty much my regime for seedlings. Start them out on weak light and build it up. If I do use a humid tent, it's best IMO to keep the bottom open so the roots can get fresh air supply, and don't use them past the first few days, if at all. Depends on the relative humidity at the time, but it's fairly humid here in Seattle at all times.

If that light is weak, just put it up close to the plants, and also, if you can supplement outdoor light that might be beneficial, if it's direct sunlight. Either way, you need as much light as you can throw at them, by the looks of it.

Briand1234

Briand1234

actually, I start them in napkins and transfer into jiffy pots (dollar store) then they go into tree seedling bags I buy on ebay. Air is the key, I've thrown out all my fancy expensive Air Pruning Pots in favor of cheap reusable fabric containers, I've got 1 gal, 2 gal and 3 gallon pots, nothing I grow will get bigger than those 3 gallon pots, you can get plants 12, 15 feet tall in them, as there way more efficient than any other type of pot, the root balls get super thick.

Airflow is key to everything roots, and where you got roots, you get growth. I also use a bit of azomite, (in the napkin) and also in the dirt, a mild mixture of rapid start on day 2 or 3 and a mixture of humic/kelp at day 5 or 7. That's pretty much my regime for seedlings. Start them out on weak light and build it up. If I do use a humid tent, it's best IMO to keep the bottom open so the roots can get fresh air supply, and don't use them past the first few days, if at all. Depends on the relative humidity at the time, but it's fairly humid here in Seattle at all times.

If that light is weak, just put it up close to the plants, and also, if you can supplement outdoor light that might be beneficial, if it's direct sunlight. Either way, you need as much light as you can throw at them, by the looks of it.
Yeah I use 10 gal fabric pots for outdoor grow I don't got any small fabric bags I notice it's kinda of a bitch to take it off for transplant why I may try out peat pucks and grow blocks what I used for my clones and they seemed alright. Or use those bio degradable to start seedlings and that in so I don't have to worry about transplant shock in the early stages.

Briand1234

Briand1234

Also what I've been doing like you said put them in window for the daylight hrs soon as it gets dark out I put them under light for maximum hrs of light

Latest posts

Top Bottom