Grow Dots and Recharge for the Real Growers Challenge 2022

• Thread starter ExNavyInSTL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

How close do you have the lights and what lights do you have?
Anthem ... I don't go by light "height." I go by DLI, which I am running currently about 47 DLI (based on 20 hours of lights on). I'll measure later tonight, but I would guess close to 30 inches.

I'm running 2 Mars Hydro SP-3000s.

I could get away with one of those lights, but I would have to bring the lights way down to still achieve the current DLI. I prefer to spend the extra electricity cost to stop bumping my head so much. Plus, later on when they two are worthy of my better camera it will be nice to have the lights more out of the way.

Note: I should be closer to 40 DLI for flower, but I have a small bag in there (way undersized) of those CO2-making mushoom fungus bags, which should allow the plants to deal with a bit more light.

This video does give a little perspective of the light height. The camera is hanging from the lights.

Anthem

Anthem

Anthem ... I don't go by light "height." I go by DLI, which I am running currently about 47 DLI (based on 20 hours of lights on). I'll measure later tonight, but I would guess close to 30 inches.

I'm running 2 Mars Hydro SP-3000s.

I could get away with one of those lights, but I would have to bring the lights way down to still achieve the current DLI. I prefer to spend the extra electricity cost to stop bumping my head so much. Plus, later on when they two are worthy of my better camera it will be nice to have the lights more out of the way.

Note: I should be closer to 40 DLI for flower, but I have a small bag in there (way undersized) of those CO2-making mushoom fungus bags, which should allow the plants to deal with a bit more light.

This video does give a little perspective of the light height. The camera is hanging from the lights.

View attachment 1276062
I run sealed rooms with CO2 injection. I do not go by DLI but PPFD as that is the measuring metrics for the sensor I use.
I asked about light height and brand because I was seeing light stress in the pictures of the tops. I cannot get away with running that much light even for 18 hours.
I have had some troubles with Mars. Specifically their TS-1000 series. Mars runs a low led chip count and runs the diodes with more watts per diode to get the PPFD up. I think this is what causes the light stress.
I try to ramp up the lights as fast as I possibly can but I can rarely get over 50 percent in Veg. I try to be at 100 percent no later than 10 days into flower with Commercial Brand LED fixtures.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Thanks for noticing that !!!!

I saw it too, but was thinking it was another deficiency trying to pop through.

I'll dial it back down to the mid 30s for a few nights and see if that helps. They are definitely not getting burned from heat, but overexposure could be the cause.

I asked about light height and brand because I was seeing light stress in the pictures of the tops. I cannot get away with running that much light even for 18 hours.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Day 54 (SS) & Day 49 (DG)

I'm A Big Fat Liar
Why am I a liar?

Because I am pretty sure I have posted before that, I was going to stop at Topping & some light LST.

Throw that claim out the window. I just went medieval on my Super Skunk.

There were so many minor bud sites trying their best to see the light.

First, let's look at some of the early "stretch."

SS D54 Stretch1 0285 Nik openWith

DG D49 Stretch 0286 Nik openWith

Now, let's look at some of the LST of the Super Skunk
Note: These photos are in-process and not all finished product.

SS D54 LST1 0287 Nik openWith
SS D54 LST2 TopDown 0287 Nik openWith

SS D54 LST3 TopDown2 0287 Nik openWith

SS D54 LST4 Angle 0287 Nik openWith

Top View of Double Grape

IMG 0290 Nik openWith

Pairs - (L) Double Grape - Day 49 & (R) Super Skunk - Day 54

Pairs D54 Angle 0289 Nik openWith

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Quick Update: flu is in the House

I got hit with flu last Thursday. So, I have not been as attentive as I normally am.

I've managed to get my environmental numbers and take a few pictures, but haven't had the gumption to process them.

My fever is back down to about 100ºF. It stayed above 102º for almost 60 hours. My symptoms were ever changing, too. It seemed complications were moving all around in my head and body.

"Science" tells me it is just another flu with a 99%+ survival rate, but it has been a hell of a ride.

Thankfully, it never attacked my lungs. I am very respiratory-comprimised with asthma. Had it gone there, my wife had instructions to get my ass to the VA in St. Louis.

I'm feeling better enough to write this post, so I should be back on track by this evening.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

As I return to catch up on my Journal, I swear when I made the above "flu" post last week I used the term C O V I D. Oh well. The good news, as bas as I felt during the heart of the experience it was no worse than any other influenza I've experienced. Nonetheless, I felt like hammered dog poop for most of it.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Day 55 (SS) & Day 50 (DG)
From August 31, 2022

I'm still recovering from flu, so I'm not going to create much commentary, but I do have a few photos to share.

"Pairs" look:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Double Grape -- LST Treatment

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flowers - Slow But Sure

Double Grape -- Still Angry with Grow Dots

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Day 60 (SS) & Day 55 (DG)
flu is leaving my body. The worst is behind me (fingers crossed). Still no real hungery, and I am super tired most of the time.
Onward and upward.

Observations:

Super Skunk
should be renamed Honey Badger. From a stunted little twiglett to the largest "bush" I've grown. I trained it last week and it is still shooting upward.

Double Grape, on the other hand, is more like the the sickly little runt of the litter. Ok, I'm being a little dramatic, but it constantly displays evidence of some slight deficiency (or toxicity).

About Photos: Day 60 & 55 was yesterday. These pictures are "over" processed for my enjoyment. Meaning, don't take the coloring and try to diagnose anything. Enjoy them for the texture and filling out of each plant.

P-K Boost: Yesterday, I decided to do a little P-K boost, using Flower Fuel. This morning (Day 61 & 55) I swear the pistils were whiter and more abundant.

Real Growers Challenge: Because of all the issues along the way, I am no longer posting photos for the Real Growers Challenge with the appropriate hashtag on Instagram. I don't think my experience with Grow Dots truly reflects the potential for this method of nutrition application.

My reasoning: I like and respect Mr. Real and the Real Growers Community too much to present my (most likely) growing errors into the mix. I've been open and honest this whole grow on this Journal, so it's not like I am glossing over anything. I hope most people have a much more positive experience with Grow Dots. However, for me, this has not be a set it and forget it grow ... just add water, etc.

Now, on to the entertainment:

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I've stopped this diary for now. If I actually get flowers, I may start up again.

Background:

• Decided to give a dab of P-K to see if a little nutrient push would show results.
• Caused a Lock Out like I have never seen.
• I can't believe how fast the leaves turned and died.
• Defoliated about 50% of the Super Skunk to get sunlight to the leaves that were still green.
• Super Skunk still has plenty of foliage. Just not around the upper flowers.
• Defoliating about 40% of Double Grape, seems the most stable of the two.
• Gave heavy Recharge Soak Through - Only 24 hours since.
• Now on a very low EC bottom watering (0.347 EC).
• No more messing with them, not even to remove dead leaves (unless blocks good leaves).

Brownthumb

Brownthumb

I've stopped this diary for now. If I actually get flowers, I may start up again.

Background:

• Decided to give a dab of P-K to see if a little nutrient push would show results.
• Caused a Lock Out like I have never seen.
• I can't believe how fast the leaves turned and died.
• Defoliated about 50% of the Super Skunk to get sunlight to the leaves that were still green.
• Super Skunk still has plenty of foliage. Just not around the upper flowers.
• Defoliating about 40% of Double Grape, seems the most stable of the two.
• Gave heavy Recharge Soak Through - Only 24 hours since.
• Now on a very low EC bottom watering (0.347 EC).
• No more messing with them, not even to remove dead leaves (unless blocks good leaves).

Brownthumb

Brownthumb

Dude…? Your plants look great….keep working the diary… ! It’s like watching the Tom Hanks island movie….

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Dude…? Your plants look great….keep working the diary… ! It’s like watching the Tom Hanks island movie….

Brownthumb ... when I told my wife about your comments ... we laughed ... we cried and I said 'fuck it.'

Please understand, I did NOT take pictures when everything was at its worst. My heart was broken. I really put a lot of thought into my grows, but I also know I am guilty of saying, "how about just a little bit more."

I am not going to track all of the VPD, DLI, EC, etc. Data.

But, I'll continue with photographs ... you can all blame Brownthumb (and TSD). 😎

First Look at what I saw upon opening the tent:

IMG 0353 openWith

IMG 0354 openWith

This is the saddest part, to see the flower support leaves ready to give up on their journal:

IMG 0356 openWith
IMG 0364 openWith

You can't deny they flower stacking is pretty awesome.
I just worry the photosythesis support won't be there.

IMG 0363 openWith

Now look at some of the leftover leaves:

IMG 0361 openWith

IMG 0362 openWith

IMG 0366 openWith
IMG 0365 openWith

IMG 0367 openWith
IMG 0368 openWith

Alright, enough punishment ... let's close out:

IMG 0357 openWith

IMG 0360 openWith

IMG 0370 openWith

IMG 0355 openWith
IMG 0358 openWith
IMG 0359 openWith
IMG 0369 openWith
Brownthumb

Brownthumb

I killed my first 14 plants … definitely was heartbreaking…. learned a lot during the process- some from the experience but a lot from this site….keep sharing 👍

R

ritoMox

As I return to catch up on my Journal, I swear when I made the above "flu" post last week I used the term C O V I D. Oh well. The good news, as bas as I felt during the heart of the experience it was no worse than any other influenza I've experienced. Nonetheless, I felt like hammered dog poop for most of it.

View attachment 1278889
You're not imagining things. The site automatically changes the C-Word to Flu. Sorry about your grow!✌️

Top Bottom