Grow light help for a newbie

• Thread starter street_racer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

street_racer

IM SETTING UP A ROOM THATS 6X6 BUT IM NOT SURE ON HOW MANY LIGHTS I SHOULD PUT OR THE AMOUNT OF WATT OUTPUT THEY SHOULD HAVE ANY HELP/ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL :icon_spin:

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
more reading is in order - lol

J

Jalisco Kid

If you room is dialed in 60-70w/sq'. JK
use the search button.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

I would keep it simple and place a 1000w switchable. Have 9-16 under it.You will have enough room to work around it then.

L

launchpad

Similar

Simple is good like "nono" said, 1k. Additionally you may want to add some T5s, just a thought I run both in a similar room and it is productive.

N

nightrampage

Veg use Metal Halide lights for good results

Flowering use high pressure sodium

as far as Watts and whatnot that depends on a lot of things.. the more power lights the hotter they can become.. so take that into account.

first few are a learning experience for sure

N

nightrampage

its all about the dual-arc bulbs these days!

i've been curious to try those.. also been investigating Flip Boxes .. so i can have 2 lights per ballast ... (even though they can't be on at the same time)

also can't you use a 1000watt ballast with an adapter of some kind so it will run 2x 600watt lights?

as far as dual arc... isn't that just a MH and a HPS light in one bulb? if so i'd imagine you'd need a special ballast that switches between

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i've been curious to try those.. also been investigating Flip Boxes .. so i can have 2 lights per ballast ... (even though they can't be on at the same time)

also can't you use a 1000watt ballast with an adapter of some kind so it will run 2x 600watt lights?

as far as dual arc... isn't that just a MH and a HPS light in one bulb? if so i'd imagine you'd need a special ballast that switches between

I never used a flip box - but Im pretty sure you can run 1000's with them no prob

as far as dual arc you just need a hps ballast - the mh part is a conversion bulb essentially

the dual arc 1000 is a 600 watt hps and 400 watt mh

hiboy

hiboy

If you want to fill the whole room two hoods woould work better than one. More watts bigger plants, as long as yhou can keep em cool

N

nightrampage

I never used a flip box - but Im pretty sure you can run 1000's with them no prob

as far as dual arc you just need a hps ballast - the mh part is a conversion bulb essentially

the dual arc 1000 is a 600 watt hps and 400 watt mh

so with Dual arc ... they're both on at the same time? does that mean a broader spectrum of light like reds and blues together in one bulb..

does it have greater benefits? i gotta try one of these it sounds like..

F

f1ydave

so with Dual arc ... they're both on at the same time? does that mean a broader spectrum of light like reds and blues together in one bulb..

does it have greater benefits? i gotta try one of these it sounds like..

Yes, they are both on at the same time. People are getting better results from a dual-arc over MH switched to HPS for flower.

Think about it, a MH is for growing and HPS is for flowering, the plant doesn't stop growing until the very late stages of flower. I've ran mine thru veg and now flower and love the results, but have nothing to compare to it. Just taking Jack and Ben's words for it, after all, they are commercial growers.

I paid roughly $40 each off ebay for a 6 pack.

Single Dual-Arc off Ebay

6 Pack of Dual-Arc off Ebay

Only 110k lumens, but its a 600w and 400w, not bad IMO. Can't beat the price either!

M

Mr.Detroit

I say get a 1000w switchable ballast digital preferably and a raptor hood... best advice you have got so far. As far as lighting goes I use 1000w hortilux blue to veg and hortilux super hps for flower, I am about to try digilux bulbs though they look really bright and they are half the cost at least compared to the hortilux blue the hps run about the same. Just make sure you are exhausting that heat somehow cuz a 1000w in a 6x6 will be like an oven after 12 hours or 18 or 20 lol... real talk though

Top Bottom