Grow Log On A Fist Full Of My Own Seeds.

Just a shame so many seeds were spent, All Seeds Matter!
I agree, but...
Keep in mind that the original seed sow was largely a germination test on six seed groups from three lines of my own plants. So my negligence protected me from needing to cull the herd.
For example, in two weeks I will be harvesting a plant that I expect to take over 100 fresh AKFire seeds from.
I pollinated at three weeks into flower with fresh pollen and the seeded heads are swollen nicely.
20190311_095157.jpg

20190311_095237.jpg

It is gratifying that readers are finding this log interesting.
Thank you.
 
14 weeks from sow and they are into flower space.
20190321_083702.jpg

Four big ones in the back are the keeper White Fire cones.
Up front are the smaller seedlings comprised of 3 AKFire and 3 AKDog.
Some of the seedlings have yet to show sex, but I will be shocked if more than one of them is male.
20190322_085700.jpg

After only one day under the bright lights and a tea feed they looking more vibrant.
 
Six weeks into flower and 20 weeks from sow.
20190503_105406.jpg

Perhaps I over pruned.
Maybe too large a glug of high P fish fertilizer in the tea.
And they are fighting some spider mites.

At any rate, buds keep growing.
But can they keep growing for three more weeks.
Many of the remaining leaves are starting to look spent.
 
Harvested after 8 weeks in flower.
I ordinarily take these to nine weeks, but the suspected phosphor burn was so severe that bud growth had slowed to the point that I ended the grow.
20190516_105740.jpg

20190516_105746.jpg

20190516_105759.jpg

20190516_105809.jpg

I'll post a final in a few weeks with weight and flower quality.
I expect the weight to be on the low side, but there are many (but small) buds.
Smell is good so am hopeful that quality didn't suffer too much.
 

1diesel1

Staff member
Supporter
Harvested after 8 weeks in flower.
I ordinarily take these to nine weeks, but the suspected phosphor burn was so severe that bud growth had slowed to the point that I ended the grow.
View attachment 870970
View attachment 870971
View attachment 870972
View attachment 870973
I'll post a final in a few weeks with weight and flower quality.
I expect the weight to be on the low side, but there are many (but small) buds.
Smell is good so am hopeful that quality didn't suffer too much.
Looks tasty bro!! Good job:)!!!
 
Numbers are in and they are low, but it smokes well.
Buds were all small and not the tight balls I prefer.
Not sure what went wrong, but I continue to suspect phosphor burn based on one prior overdose experience.
When I start my weekly alfalfa tea I add a "glug" of Alaska fish fertilizer.
But who knows. Growing takes so long that a number of things might have contributed to the slower development and earlier than normal senescence.
20190601_115547.jpg

This bag records the last three harvests of two plants each.
Got almost three times the weight from prior harvest, but much the same as two back.
20190601_115440.jpg

Three plants of my Dog seed yielded slightly better.
20190601_115056.jpg

And the cloned keeper. Bugger pile from more plants.

The next round is two weeks in and looking normal.
Hope springs eternal.
 
They look like fairly heavy Sativa dominant plants, which is probably a good reason that you didn't get the tight nuggets that you prefer. The nute overload didn't help matters either, but a happy-ish ending is always good. I grow an old Alaskan strain that was brought back by some oil pipeline workers years ago and keep the strain alive with personal seeds... some of the original seeds still pop 35 years later. They might take a week, but some are still viable.
Overloaded nutes can be a bitch, as you, myself, and countless others have learned. I have a personal policy of using fairly low levels of nutrients and don't use them unless the plants start to look like they need a snack... it's just something that you sort of learn over the years. You don't want to have deficiencies, but too much fertilizer and stuff is just as bad as not enough... you can always add nutes, removing them isn't so easy. Good job, keep up the good work and keep your strains alive.
 
After harvest I started a new round despite the risk of summer overheating.
20190602_103243_001.jpg

The interesting aspect of this flowering cycle are tow fold.
All six of the large potted plants are members of my keeper plant.
Two of them are suffering some sort of stunting.
So keeping an eye on them will be interesting.

The five in front in the small pots are another bunch of my seed I call fire.
This for (2 weeks into flower) they look on schedule.
they are smaller than I usually flower, and I expect the small pots to restrict their development at some point.
20190602_103100.jpg

Seedlings are the lower row.
The two duds are upper left.
Let's see if I can't do a bit better this round.
Haven't seen a live mite in weeks, but I do an IPM (always be spraying) aka integrated pest management.
My latest candidate is Safer soap, which joins Azamax and neem in rotation.
 
Top