Grow more females from seed...

• Thread starter caperfarmer902
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

caperfarmer902

Hey guys, just reading some of my jorge cervantes medical growers bible, might i add the best growers bible/ guide book is unreal for any type of grower at any level..
but anyways take a look at this and tell me what you think or if you could even add anymore tips for more females from seeds..

Environmental factors start influencing sex the moment the seedling has three pairs of true leaves not including the cotyledons ( first set of 2 true leaves). Enviromental factors that influence sex determination of cannabis include but are not limited to:
- Increasing the level of nitrogen makes more female plants, lower the nitrogen level to creat more male plants, increase the level of potassium will increase male tendencies. lower the potassium level will encourage female plants, in other words a higher nitrogen level and a lower potassium level for the first two weeks increses female.
- Lower temperatures increses the number of females, and higher temps (warm temps) will increse male growth.
- High humity increses the number of female plants, and low humity increses male plants as well.
- Low growing medium moisture increses males.
- More blue light will increses the number of female plants, and more red light increses male tendenciese.
- fewer hours of light will increse the number of females, and loonger days for plants with more hours of light will increse male plants.
- Stress - any enviromental stress tends to yeild more male plants when growing from seed,
- Ofcourse when buying female seeds, these factors count eachother out, unless the enviroment is like stated above, that will increse make tendencies.

So this is whats in jorges bible, i though it was some pretty good info for any type of grower, but still at the same time is very intresting, if anyone else has anymore ideas or tips please, add them..

L

Lost

I have never seen anything influence male/female ratios, as long as the plants are not stressed in some way. I agree that stressed plants are perhaps more likely to be male (not totally sure about that tho), but especially herm.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have never seen anything influence male/female ratios, as long as the plants are not stressed in some way. I agree that stressed plants are perhaps more likely to be male (not totally sure about that tho), but especially herm.
I have, and from what my friend (breeder who gets AMAZING female:male ratios) it starts with how the mother plant is fed as the time for breeding comes near and during that pollination phase. After that, it seems that sex is determined upon seed formation.

There is nothing in my own experience that dictates that stressed plants are more likely to be male. Only that certain genetics are very likely to become hermaphrodites, and most likely are those that are resulting spawn of hermaphrodites.

Of course, mine is absolutely not the last word on it. Just my experience, limited as it may be.

budboy299

budboy299

I read a scientific study on hemp seed genetics about 3 years ago. Wish I had saved it somewhere, but I thought I will remember all the stuff so why save it?

Anyhow...the focus of the study was to obtain maximum fiber lengths for clothes. They went on to say that males typically will grow faster and taller with less side branching..blah blah blah.
BUT...they also went on to say that all the research they had done so far had shown that the hormones that determine sex, were created within the seed by the mother plant long before the seed was even ready.
I guess kind of like a human baby.

With that being the case...I really don't think you can influence females if the seed is predetermined as far as sex. I think like lost said...you can hermie a female with bad germination and external stress when growing, but I don't think you can completely change the gender.

I think this is how alot of the POT experts "discover" things

You could take 1000 seeds and divide them in half.
put 500 under blue light and 500 under red light.

If the 500 seeds under blue light, developed 75% females and,
the other seeds under red light, developed 75% males

That would suddenly be the basis for all these "experts" to post all their "finds" in a book or on the internet. But in reality it could be a fluke or just the way the seeds happened to get divided up.

I have more faith in the info from the hemp farmers who would love more males for the longer fibers!

jammie

jammie

I have, and from what my friend (breeder who gets AMAZING female:male ratios) it starts with how the mother plant is fed as the time for breeding comes near and during that pollination phase. After that, it seems that sex is determined upon seed formation.

There is nothing in my own experience that dictates that stressed plants are more likely to be male. Only that certain genetics are very likely to become hermaphrodites, and most likely are those that are resulting spawn of hermaphrodites.

Of course, mine is absolutely not the last word on it. Just my experience, limited as it may be.

yep- all the scientific literature sez that sex is determined at time seed is formed- the same as human sex is determined when the egg is fertilized

L

Lost

yep- all the scientific literature sez that sex is determined at time seed is formed- the same as human sex is determined when the egg is fertilized

Agreed, nothing you can do to the seed or seedling have any effect, with exception to the herm gene.

G

Gartner

Hey guys, just reading some of my jorge cervantes medical growers bible, might i add the best growers bible/ guide book is unreal for any type of grower at any level..
but anyways take a look at this and tell me what you think or if you could even add anymore tips for more females from seeds..

Environmental factors start influencing sex the moment the seedling has three pairs of true leaves not including the cotyledons ( first set of 2 true leaves). Enviromental factors that influence sex determination of cannabis include but are not limited to:
- Increasing the level of nitrogen makes more female plants, lower the nitrogen level to creat more male plants, increase the level of potassium will increase male tendencies. lower the potassium level will encourage female plants, in other words a higher nitrogen level and a lower potassium level for the first two weeks increses female.
- Lower temperatures increses the number of females, and higher temps (warm temps) will increse male growth.
- High humity increses the number of female plants, and low humity increses male plants as well.
- Low growing medium moisture increses males.
- More blue light will increses the number of female plants, and more red light increses male tendenciese.
- fewer hours of light will increse the number of females, and loonger days for plants with more hours of light will increse male plants.
- Stress - any enviromental stress tends to yeild more male plants when growing from seed,
- Ofcourse when buying female seeds, these factors count eachother out, unless the enviroment is like stated above, that will increse make tendencies.

So this is whats in jorges bible, i though it was some pretty good info for any type of grower, but still at the same time is very intresting, if anyone else has anymore ideas or tips please, add them..

Thanks for your valuable post...
I got huge of my doubts cleared from your single post....

:harvest:

L

Lost

Thanks for your valuable post...
I got huge of my doubts cleared from your single post....

:harvest:

Wait.. you realize that its all bullshit right? You cannot influence male/female ratios in seed or seedlings..

Or did I misread your post?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
*I* don't know how to do it, but I know an old-timer who always gets me incredibly high female:male ratios on everything of his I've ever run. He swears, and I believe him as he's that honest in my book, that he does no reversal or anything of that kind. He just feeds a certain way, mentioned a single element, and flat-out refused to tell me anything more.

I can't explain the high ratios I get only with his beans, just can't explain it. Always start the germinated ones in what many would consider harsh conditions, always "overwater,", always put 'em in the sun, let them flop over and correct themselves (because they always do, always, unless it's a weakling & I've only ever had a couple of those), I treat all seeds and seedlings in the same manner unless they're having problems even popping.

Dunno how he does it, but I sure would like to!

L

Lost

*I* don't know how to do it, but I know an old-timer who always gets me incredibly high female:male ratios on everything of his I've ever run. He swears, and I believe him as he's that honest in my book, that he does no reversal or anything of that kind. He just feeds a certain way, mentioned a single element, and flat-out refused to tell me anything more.

I can't explain the high ratios I get only with his beans, just can't explain it. Always start the germinated ones in what many would consider harsh conditions, always "overwater,", always put 'em in the sun, let them flop over and correct themselves (because they always do, always, unless it's a weakling & I've only ever had a couple of those), I treat all seeds and seedlings in the same manner unless they're having problems even popping.

Dunno how he does it, but I sure would like to!

It is possible that he is creating conditions in the parent plants influencing the tendency to male/female ratios (this is quite possible, let me point to fem seeds..). Once the seed is mature and harvested, nothing effects it.

Top Bottom