Grow questions for clones

• Thread starter Kbenson420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kbenson420

Kbenson420

Hey everyone I have grown a few times but not in about 10 years so I was looking to find some quick answers, first do you or can you top your clones and when should I? I have only grown from seed so clones are a little new to me and I got my clones about 2 days after they where rooted and have had them about 5 days so I was wondering how long it takes them to get a good root ball or good enough to transplant? If anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated thanks in advance

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hey everyone I have grown a few times but not in about 10 years so I was looking to find some quick answers, first do you or can you top your clones and when should I? I have only grown from seed so clones are a little new to me and I got my clones about 2 days after they where rooted and have had them about 5 days so I was wondering how long it takes them to get a good root ball or good enough to transplant? If anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated thanks in advance
I would want at least two weeks of growth before I topped them, possibly longer depending how they looked

uphere

uphere

Sorry for the thread jacking, I have a couple of clones that are going for the world record for suspended animation. 5 weeks since cutting and I'm not sure if there alive or dead. Strangest thing I've seen. Not really a clone guy so I'm sure I f-ed something up. They look exactly the same as the second I took them. Hit me up Guinness.

Kbenson420

Kbenson420

Sorry for the thread jacking, I have a couple of clones that are going for the world record for suspended animation. 5 weeks since cutting and I'm not sure if there alive or dead. Strangest thing I've seen. Not really a clone guy so I'm sure I f-ed something up. They look exactly the same as the second I took them. Hit me up Guinness.
Well I'm not sure but that is strange they have roots yet and did use cloning gel or no and yeah I might have f'ed up my clones to it was like 87 degrees in the shade where I live and left them outside in it so now they look hella like what I've read is nutrient burn or heat/light stress so I put some superthrive on them to try and help with shock like I would do to a seedling if I was trying to help it come back form something stressful like that and I know some stress is good for them but I hope I didn't kill and u didn't really thread jack shit it's clone questions

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey uphere , i do a lot of clone work , ive alsp had the odd cut get comfortable and do nothing for around 5 to 6 weeks , if environment is good , i think they can go hibrinate for quite a whils , if i want to get them going , usually i will clean and refresh the bottom cut with fresh water and clonex , try more indoor light and the usually pop roots...

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

I would want at least two weeks of growth before I topped them, possibly longer depending how they looked
Hey k , i agree with beachwalker , but i miss read your post , i was thinking that you were " making " clones yourself , in that case i would wait something like 25 days ,, about 10 to 12 days to get a good root system in place , another 10 to 15 days min to establish nice new growth , then top, train

Oops , you asked when to transplant them , not " top" them .....
Sorry

But if someone is " giving " you rooted clones , then thats a completely different story , shit , if they are rooted and have been growing for the suggested 10 days , you can transplant them couple of days ( 10 would be a good amount of days )and they will just settle in your pots ....
Just my experience , others may dissagree...

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey beach , you got me a little confused also , because kbenson asked " transplant them " and you responded to " top" them , so i think i was answering based on topping plants not transplanting plants sorry 🤣

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hey beach , you got me a little confused also , because kbenson asked " transplant them " and you responded to " top" them , so i think i was answering based on topping plants not transplanting plants sorry 🤣
OP asked this

" I was looking to find some quick answers, first do you or can you top your clones and when should I?"

I answered regarding topping plants.

dire wolf

dire wolf

OP asked this

" I was looking to find some quick answers, first do you or can you top your clones and when should I?"

I answered regarding topping plants.
Oh shit , yup , im the one who confused myself , sorry 🤣............

I answered in a lenghtly fashion about topping also , then i deleted it because when i scrolled back to the question , i only read the bottom of the post which said when to transplant ....

dire wolf

dire wolf

And kbenson , just as a general rule , i cut clones , root them out for around 12 days and transplant around day 14 , i wont even consider doing anything to my new cuts until a month , i feel like they need about a month from cut to be stable enough for me to start treating them rough like i do ....

There are many who talk about flowering straight from rooted clone etc , i just feel like there is room for failure or screw up , i like my plants good and set up root wise , new growth wise before i top , train , or go into flower ...

But like i keep saying
Just my own experience , others may disagree..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good info given, I'm around the same. Temp is a key factor but I find clones to be ready usually about 10 days for transplant. Topping will depend on growth rates so alot depends on media. In hydro for me was about 2 weeks not sure in soil yet but I'm guessing about 3-4 weeks. I like to leave 3-4 nodes. Usually when the plant is about a foot tall with 3-4 nodes your good to go.

Important is to make sure it's healthy before topping and if that means giving em longer before topping then that needs to be done. You can always take off a few nodes. Hell you can top a 3ft plant down to 1 foot if ya like.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
As soon as the round all have 5 nodes I top at the 4th. That just for my style and how I like my plants to grow and numbers. Once they are rooted you can top them before you even transplant them. I do this a lot if I have backup with rooted clones and no room in veg while im waiting to transplant to keep them from growing into the floros and burning.

Clones like warmth. They don't like cold.

Kbenson420

Kbenson420

Hey k , i agree with beachwalker , but i miss read your post , i was thinking that you were " making " clones yourself , in that case i would wait something like 25 days ,, about 10 to 12 days to get a good root system in place , another 10 to 15 days min to establish nice new growth , then top, train

Oops , you asked when to transplant them , not " top" them .....
Sorry

But if someone is " giving " you rooted clones , then thats a completely different story , shit , if they are rooted and have been growing for the suggested 10 days , you can transplant them couple of days ( 10 would be a good amount of days )and they will just settle in your pots ....
Just my experience , others may dissagree...
Thanks and I was wondering about topping them as well so u covered both thanks again really appreciate it

Kbenson420

Kbenson420

Plz help I don't know why it's doing THIS I haven't even given it any nutrients and it's only been in direct sunlight one day and it's because I forgot to move it in to shader spot

IMG 20200507 140518862 HDR
Top Bottom