Grow Room Automation

• Thread starter AvidLerner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AvidLerner

AvidLerner

I know I started a thread on row room automation, but I thought it would be placed here in the design area. I have been looking into various automation systems. I have looked into led controllers, hydrop0nic controllers, and home automation.

I decided on a complete approach, control Air, Water, and Light with schedules for each room, area, etc. I divided the operation into three areas of Veg, Bloom, and Clone, each with their own, Air, water, and Light schedule controls, along with Far Red availability and update able from a mobile device.

I have a couple recent screen shots from my work to date. enjoy
Growgreencontrol1
Growgreencontrol2

Neckup

Neckup

Are you using raspberry pi style hardware or using the api's from already established hardware providers. What stack are you using ?

Keep going mate, we need some good dash boarding tools for all the various hardware in this industry :)

I think it would be great to have something that records to a db and then allows visual monitoring through tableau or something.
* Current Co2 levels (there is a fuzzy logic code piece floating around for raspberry pi if your using it)
* Current Temps
* Current Humidity
* Nutrient: ph, EC, Dissolved Oxygen
* Light status

Light levels (PAR) shouldn't change much on a day to day basis, so i wouldn't be too concerned about charting it.

the ability to export to a stats package like "r" for time series analysis of variables against yeild would be killa too!

Last edited:
AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Are you using raspberry pi style hardware or using the api's from already established hardware providers. What stack are you using ?

Keep going mate, we need some good dash boarding tools for all the various hardware in this industry :)

I think it would be great to have something that records to a db and then allows visual monitoring through tableau or something.
* Current Co2 levels (there is a fuzzy logic code piece floating around for raspberry pi if your using it)
* Current Temps
* Current Humidity
* Nutrient: ph, EC, Dissolved Oxygen
* Light status

Light levels (PAR) shouldn't change much on a day to day basis, so i wouldn't be too concerned about charting it.

the ability to export to a stats package like "r" for time series analysis of variables against yeild would be killa too!
Right now I am using rpi3 platform and openhab for the foundation. I have another controller I am working out that maintains ph levels and will be direct connect. I plan on expanding the automation to use co2 as well. My first step is to get the schedules established and set up rules to schedule override and report status. I am currently working outside and inside temps. Next will be establish rules based on temp rh

lino

lino

Welcome to LinoLatte , the ultimate Growers Paradise

LinoTron is a full blown growers tool kit built on the ultimate development board and turned into a growers computer, Introducing:

Have you looked in our LattePanda, I customized them for grow room automation, grow labs, and latest greatest hack software... I have the 3 largest plant databases in the world, SQL and Access combined in the LinoTron. My apps run from droid and Icrap .,they are built in,,, no beating your brain to get your plant harmonics correct, Ive already codeded it,
Plant Harmonics get full control and build for less than $100, Light refraction coming to our build tutorials this month.
BioWave

The LinoTron (customized LattePanda by my mother company LatteLino) works with plant harmonic machines but we have one coming out that is less than $100 and is like none other, linoTron and lattePanda sister company runs Win 10, Linux, and android OS and did I mention I install code to run really cool OverLord 3D printers, well it run all 3D printers and is seamless with preInstalled Microsoft 3D builder,

So here is Win 10, Linux, androin, 3d Printer, wifi, cell, bluetooth, unmanned
TronHand
aviation, kinetics, leap moition, audrino lenarado onBoard board, now you can write java, vb, python,,, to cool, 10 plug N play sesnor-outputs,, cool huh,,, it goes on and on... microsoft got wise after we soldout and raised Win 10 price on us,, took it off the hobbiest price range and went to proPrice range now....
all in the palm of your hand
mouse, avaition controller, camera, wifi internet, it got it all gps, motion sensor to cool
TronControl

Lp3

and think about IOT, lots of wifi prob, wondering what FCC might do - shut us down soon but for now let buy up these boards and how can they stop us , Ill build my own wifi board now if they stop it ,so I'm not sure how this will play out but,, lillypad mother boards - not only work on humans monitors but it works on plants to,, that should send the little farmer minds googling and pondering, yes. Lillyad can tell us when she sick, I got unseen plant monitors if anyone is looking into buying patents...

lino

lino

Here's a cool one for a grower, AND IT WORKs with Rasberry and arduino ...
This little gizmo is picked up, detected by the LinoTron as a device, dont worry if you want one for your Italian boards Arduino and Ras it plugs in as a shield and I have it code ready for Italian boards to work with this grow room monitor device.
Starting top left - clockwise;
on board liquid crystal display, alarm buzzer, humidity-temp sensor, photosensors, analog grey scale, relay up voltage connectors, potentiometer (controls temp,fan, lights, pumps,ect), reset btn, motion detection (security),
LinoTron can record plant and grow room(S) performance , fit in you pocket or you can leave it to monitor your grow room.
Handheld

lino

lino

Hey Lino, If you post or pm the patent number or a link to the WIPO address, Id love to check it out...

Could be interested in doing some ML on the Db's too if your interested..

Another hardware solution is http://smartbeecontrollers.com/about-smartbee/
IDK, but everything in HydroFarm is High dollar toys. I wonder what the Bee toys cost? Thats what fun for me is to build it for a cpl bucks. I was going to dump a bunch of effort into the linotron but to many grow toys coming out for under $100 dollars. Kinda sad, good ol USA electronic ideas only exist once they're built in China, thats why Panda is built in China. This forced linolatte to little offer $2 items and let the ppl build their own Trons themselves.

Neckup

Neckup

the bee toys are 1,000's
Consumers are paying for the convenience of plug and play. Still think that they are playing in a price range thats not worth it. In this industry your either a big boy looking for SCADA equipment with a budget of 2 Mill + or a closet grower that won't fork out 80 bucks for a pH pen, and several thousand do sent fit either of those categories. Of course there are people out there with grows in the middle but is there enough of them out there to make the idea commercially viable?

Maybe you could look at commercializing it as a service (like a mobile phone plan or SAAS model where the cost of the infrastructure is spread out over a 24 month period, and provide access to a dashboard and email alert service?, but then you have the problem of GPS location and IP addresses being known yadda yadda)

Last edited:
AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Everyone is not trying to engineer an automation system. Cost is one issue. Using open source software allows for tailoring to individual needs is also important. Most folks are trying to grow and are not commercial growers nor are they computer experts. Folks are looking for plug and play ease of use user friendly and flexible to fit various environments including co2 heat pumps recirculating fans exhaust fans lighting including dimming and temp and humidity

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Doing research, i think it will be easier to make the system plug and play with a wired system first, as well as lower cost. I am envisioning a black case with 3x3 pins for temp/humidity sensors provided, 3x3 gpio pins for each station/area; Veg, Bloom, clone; for any relay board of desire, 2,4,8,16, etc, for lights on/off with a schedule, fans on/off with a schedule, water pumps on/off with a schedule, for a total of 3x3x3 gpio pins 3x3 areas. I am also looking at a control of a heat pump one more gpio pin, as a temp control function, and a humidifier/dehumidifier one more gpio pin. Adding CO2 should max out the gpio pins outputs for the raspberry pi. Most of the daily work is done with rules primarily gaining data from sensors. Also adding outside and inside temperature to status with rules to take action based on temp or humidity ranges set by user.

The user could get whatever size relay board they need for their size operation making the system modular based on each users preferences while the coding is universal, and available for modification by each user capable and willingness to share with the community.

As soon as i get the code to where it is bug free I will share it on my github account under openhab.
namaste

lino

lino

You selling this system lino where's the link
Sorry to fill you're thread with my crap, too much coffee man.... back to your app,

Im taking more time to look at your app, thats intense.... NICE , looks like you're running CO2,,,

I like it,,,, you build it ,,, I'll PM you,,, how much would you build me a cpl prototypes or full models for me to resell, or a consignment, sell em from my site,,, I dont have nothing monitoring controlling CO2,,, thats cool. sharing your codes is cool but lot of farmers just want to build or buy models, got some other groBot builders putting some groTrons 4sale on the site,,, so far everything is 5v little stuff so far,,, that contraption looks like it might relay up some 110-120v or 22ov, have you got that far yet?

localhost,,, you runninng a local database, spreadsheet? How you wiFi/bluetooth into localhost. Are you using Interent of Things... ?? I use IOT but the more I learn bout it the more I see problems. anyway thats a cool app, can i show some eny now.?

grayarea

grayarea

how many stop lights do you want to drive through per day ? set the limit or set the limit by the minimum u need.

i prefer none.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Here is a great video on how to reprogram the ESP8266 for MQTT communication via wifi and openHAB . I am not going to reinvent the wheel, but I am going to make it better. I am trying to decide the bst way forward from here. I am going to be t4sting some sonoff modules over the next couple of months. I am waiting for a few flavors https://www.itead.cc/blog/sonoff-esp8266-reprogramming-part-1-control-mains-from-anywhere one is the TH10/16 with DHT22 connector for temp/humidity input via wifi and relay controls via wifi with a modified sonoff. the sonoff has a relay rated at 10a and approved ROHS compliant. I am looking to take the output from the internal relay to power a bank of relays connected to the sonoff vice using a dumb wifi relay switch. It is doable, I have seen it already.

I am currently testing the rules portion of the software, I am mostly happy with the UI but still a few bugs in classic UI I have to resolve or figure out why.

So to make this system plug and play, I am thinking,

The system has three zones. A single zone has schedule control for lights, recirculating and exhaust fans, Hydro and Flood & Drain, humidifier, heater, ac, venting, and co2. a total of 10 devices times three zones. That is a total of 30 plus programmable devices. The device cost is about $8 plus S&H x 27 = $216 the TH16 is $12 x 3 = $36 about $250 outlay for just wifi devices. A Raspberry Pi 3+ $35, a USB power control $15, SATA 250MB HDD $20, about $320 total outlay cost, excluding code and time.

A single zone system would cost about $110 in devices and $100 in hardware. perhaps a better price/cost ratio. A single zone would handle a veg and bloom capacity in one zone by reprogramming the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12 with far red capability to program as well.

thoughts and ideas?

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Sorry to fill you're thread with my crap, too much coffee man.... back to your app,

Im taking more time to look at your app, thats intense.... NICE , looks like you're running CO2,,,

I like it,,,, you build it ,,, I'll PM you,,, how much would you build me a cpl prototypes or full models for me to resell, or a consignment, sell em from my site,,, I dont have nothing monitoring controlling CO2,,, thats cool. sharing your codes is cool but lot of farmers just want to build or buy models, got some other groBot builders putting some groTrons 4sale on the site,,, so far everything is 5v little stuff so far,,, that contraption looks like it might relay up some 110-120v or 22ov, have you got that far yet?

localhost,,, you runninng a local database, spreadsheet? How you wiFi/bluetooth into localhost. Are you using Interent of Things... ?? I use IOT but the more I learn bout it the more I see problems. anyway thats a cool app, can i show some eny now.?
I am running openHab on a RPI3+ with MQTT using ITEAD wifi modules reprogrammed for local use. openhab uses wired internet connection to provide access with password. You can surf to your server with MQTT and openhab and run your grow from your smartphone. The openhab app is both pc and smartphone based. All you need is to load th4 openhab app point to your web address or connect via bluetooth when you are at home.

System provides updated info of lights, fans, pumps, temps and humidity. you can schedule CO2, but you need a CO2 system [plugged into a wifi plug and a CO2 sensor to monitor and you can set the concentration you want, along with humidity and temperature. you can control heating, cooling, humidity and CO2.

Currently it is designed as a 3 zone 7 day system with 9 sub components for each zone. The average grower could run one zone or perhaps two zones, but the larger growers could run three zones and schedule all as veg, then bloom, with far red for one zone and no far red in two zones.

I am looking at best way to put units out with one, two, or three zones. Each zones uses 10 ITEAD wifi programmed devices, one DHT22, and RPI3+ with 250MB HDD USB sata drive running openHAB2 and MQTT.

lino

lino

IDk what hell I was looking at.,,, I missed that video,,, Thats a cheap unit also... I will be purchasing this to play with. Thks for sharing that, I'll be looking into this wifi device. I need to upgrade the DHT11's I'm using on this project,

We're distracted with a big problem, We monitor Climax Mine run off ponds @ 2mile high. Another mine recently just dumped in a river turning turning it orange and killing the fish, thk God it wasnt our monitors. EPA is watching closely now.

We got into a survival situation trying to repair our work, got stuck 3/4 mi from the road. A 4x4 with chain is stuck and snowmobil is out of gas, I knew we were in trouble, save by a snowmobiler. We're Going up in snowCat in a blizzard this wk end, with laptops, looking for signals, shovels , 8ft pole extensions, not kwel. no data reading for 2 wks now.

the Mine run off pond's monitors use RF signal . Antennas are 2 ft under snow also. Theres 14' of snow up there. The signal is sent long ways to thru relay antennas that are now under the snow also. We cant dam the ponds much longer, The wgt of the snow will push the water out anytime, big fines happen then. We havnt had any data recorded in wks!
A summer project
the miner might have satelite Internet, Im not sure, I was thinking bout to set up a server up in a 65`degree shed near the pond monitors, In the summer, I know, I sound like Hillary now, but I thought the miners could reboot server if needed. And we'd have both systems in place , RF and Wifi satelite internet server connection but the engineer didnt sound keen on the idea.

BTW, What the approx wifi range on the sndOff device?

Top Bottom