Grow Room Help...

• Thread starter JDerek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JDerek

JDerek

My sealed grow room will be 17x20ft, 2-18k btu mini split systems, 2 pre-existing window ac units (18k and 12k btu). I plan getting 10-gavita 1000 de hps lights and have yet to construct exhaust/filter system. What do you guys suggest for exhaust, adequate lights for 50-60plants in 3 gallons, what else will i need? Thank you in advance!

Auto.Tents

Auto.Tents

My sealed grow room will be 17x20ft, 2-18k btu mini split systems, 2 pre-existing window ac units (18k and 12k btu). I plan getting 10-gavita 1000 de hps lights and have yet to construct exhaust/filter system. What do you guys suggest for exhaust, adequate lights for 50-60plants in 3 gallons, what else will i need? Thank you in advance!

A lot of Carbon Dioxide......

Good luck on this! I'm going to follow your updates!!!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

A lot more experience where you have the answers to these questions before trying to go full force at it. Sorry to be kind of blunt but if you aren't sure how to setup the room that is the least of your worries.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The room sounds ambitious! Do you have any growing experience? That will be the biggest hurdle.
I would recommend starting off with a smaller run, maybe about 25% of the full size plan. This will give you a better idea of what can or can't be done as well as keeping costs down somewhat by making your grow more efficient. I use 5 gallon buckets and at the end of a run, 5 or 6 plants totally fill the 12 x 8 room to the point that you have to crawl under them to reach the water. How much head room do you have? There are a lot of variables. I would start off smaller as a trial run and scale it up as you get more comfortable. Just my 2 cents.

JDerek

JDerek

Jimster...thanks for the response. I have 9' ceilings.
I have zero experience but have 2 "experts" (brother and grower with 20+ yrs exp each) from norcal flying out to setup and help me from day 1 til harvest. Otherwise, I would definitely start out smaller. I am all in.

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome @JDerek, post a grow diary so we can watch your progress.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Jimster...thanks for the response. I have 9' ceilings.
I have zero experience but have 2 "experts" (brother and grower with 20+ yrs exp each) from norcal flying out to setup and help me from day 1 til harvest. Otherwise, I would definitely start out smaller. I am all in.
It sounds like you are pretty much ready to go. As long as your "experts" have the large scale experience with a similar operation, you should be OK...if things go badly then you can blame them! I use vertical 1000w MH's to give a larger side illumination to take advantage of my higher ceilings and taller plants (than a typical tent). This may or not be helpful, depending on how tall your plants get. It's surprising how much yield you can get from the sides of a tall plant, since everyone seems to focus on more overhead lighting...which I guess is a necessity when using a smaller enclosure. You won't have this limitation...be sure to keep everyone posted and updated!

Auto.Tents

Auto.Tents

The room sounds ambitious! Do you have any growing experience? That will be the biggest hurdle.
I would recommend starting off with a smaller run, maybe about 25% of the full size plan. This will give you a better idea of what can or can't be done as well as keeping costs down somewhat by making your grow more efficient. I use 5 gallon buckets and at the end of a run, 5 or 6 plants totally fill the 12 x 8 room to the point that you have to crawl under them to reach the water. How much head room do you have? There are a lot of variables. I would start off smaller as a trial run and scale it up as you get more comfortable. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think anyone here wants you to be unsuccessful.

I do have to agree with @Jimster and @Dan789 .....

This is a more advanced endeavor than most growers realize, BECAUSE, the work does not multiply each time you add an additional plant, BUT the work becomes exponentially more intricate as you add each additional plant.

You know all the CONS: Equipment Cost, Compounding issues from simple issues, TIME.

Most gardeners going into a room this size are doing it because they are popping like a MuffinTop over leggings. They have been designing their EXPANSION for some time. That expansion is based on intimate knowledge of your genetics, your gardening abilities, and your evaluation of previous experience.

Besides, its easier to handle a pest or fungus break out in a smaller grow...... like Perpetual Grows, which allow you the same yields over the same amount of time.

JDerek

JDerek

It sounds like you are pretty much ready to go. As long as your "experts" have the large scale experience with a similar operation, you should be OK...if things go badly then you can blame them! I use vertical 1000w MH's to give a larger side illumination to take advantage of my higher ceilings and taller plants (than a typical tent). This may or not be helpful, depending on how tall your plants get. It's surprising how much yield you can get from the sides of a tall plant, since everyone seems to focus on more overhead lighting...which I guess is a necessity when using a smaller enclosure. You won't have this limitation...be sure to keep everyone posted and updated!
Thank you for the helpful response. I never considered lighting the sides, just overhead. Thanks again. Will update.

I

Ikkt

With no experience you don't need someone to help from start to harvest.
You'll need help when things go south, and you'll probably need it already yesterday!

And I wouldn't set it up as one room but as 2, 3 or 4 compartments. That way you have several very real benefits. And it isn't that much more complicated or expensive, some ducting, some fans...
That's just peanuts compared to what you're up for anyway!

Latest posts

Top Bottom