Grow Room Smell Control Help

• Thread starter mk23tas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mk23tas

mk23tas

I am having an issue with smell from 3 plants. I have two separate grow boxes and each has their own blower and charcoal filter. I have 2 other separate blowers attached directly to charcoal filters, one sitting in the middle of the grow room and the other in the front room near the front door(just in case).
My house has a heat pump which does not vent any air outside and only recycles the air (I live in the south). All of the filters I am using were brand new when I started. I have a total of 4 charcoal filters in the grow room and the room still smells and right outside the door. I had to ask someone else to smell it because I have gotten used to the smell.
Is there anything else I can do other than exhausting the air outside? The only way to exhaust the air outside is if I leave a window open for the hose, which is not a good idea here.
I am currently in week 6 of flower.

I have checked
1. Both grow boxes have negative pressure inside
2. I have adjusted the blower speeds
3. I started opening the window for some ventilation once a day.
4. CFM rating for charcoal filters is higher than both blowers.
5. I placed an oscillating fan in the room to move the air around.

Plants, White Widow auto, and 2 GSC

Last edited:
mk23tas

mk23tas

how old are the carbon filters and what brand are they?
The filters are 10 weeks old and I bought them on Amazon, 2 are called iPower, the others are G HYDRO. Did I buy useless filters?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Never used em but they are not all created equal. What is the humidity going through them

Anthem

Anthem

The filters are 10 weeks old and I bought them on Amazon, 2 are called iPower, the others are G HYDRO. Did I buy useless filters?
Carbon filters can vary by manufacturer but for the most part I get about 2 runs out of them. At 10 weeks they should still be doing a good job at scrubbing. I believe aquaman was asking your humidity because humidity can degrade them quicker. And the larger the filer the long it tends to last.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Carbon filters can vary by manufacturer but for the most part I get about 2 runs out of them. At 10 weeks they should still be doing a good job at scrubbing. I believe aquaman was asking your humidity because humidity can degrade them quicker. And the larger the filer the long it tends to last.
Yup they are less effective in high humidity. I only run mine in flower for exactly that reason. Can actually kinda plug up the pores and then they work like crap.

mk23tas

mk23tas

I didn't have a dehumidifier until about 2 weeks ago. Do you think I should just replace all of the filters just in case the humidity was too high?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I didn't have a dehumidifier until about 2 weeks ago. Do you think I should just replace all of the filters just in case the humidity was too high?
Just remove then and use a hair drier on high heat getting them as hot as you can right through. Then put em back and see if it helps

mk23tas

mk23tas

After messing with a lot of stuff I finally got the smell under control. I bought a box fan and placed carbon filter fabric on the back and I can't smell anything. I moved the fan to blow air out of the room and that solved the problem. No smells in the entire house! Somehow the cheapest solution was the perfect solution.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

After messing with a lot of stuff I finally got the smell under control. I bought a box fan and placed carbon filter fabric on the back and I can't smell anything. I moved the fan to blow air out of the room and that solved the problem. No smells in the entire house! Somehow the cheapest solution was the perfect solution.
Good to hear. I actually just bought carbon filters for the furnace.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Well glad I got my carbon scrubbers 4 years ago I've only washed sock cover out in warn lightly soapy water haven't had a problem there Aussie made ones they have not let any smell out ever best 100 odd bucks I've ever spent .od

mk23tas

mk23tas

UPDATE: The smell started to come back and I finally figured out the problem. I had charcoal filters around the house to control the smell but I ended up removing every smell from the house. So basically our house didn't smell at all, even after cooking with onions. Since all of the smells were gone, even a little marijuana smell would smell very strong. I shut off the charcoal filters around the house and I let the house go back to a normal smell and I can no longer smell any marijuana. I guess too many charcoal filters is bad...?

Dr.B

Dr.B

Phresh makes effective carbon filters

mk23tas

mk23tas

Phresh makes effective carbon filters

I'll take a look at them for my next grow. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom