Grow Store Alternatives

• Thread starter Jack Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Hey Farmers.

I wanted to get a thread going on some spots here in Washington that carry grow equipment, and are not designated as a grow store. Most beginner growers get intimidated at grow stores as the sales reps try to push the most expensive gear. Sometimes equipment can be purchased at a local hardware store for less than a hydro store, and local nurseries are a great resource for hard to find items.

I just went to McClendon's hardware in Tacoma, and was impressed by the items carried. Beyond items like ProMix and FoxFarm soils, they had lighting (including T-5s) ,smart pots, coco bricks, soil test kits, PH meters, and plenty of gear to build a hydro set-up with an assortment of pumps and pond/sprinkler equipment.

Ace Hardware is another spot that carries equipment for the indoor grower. FoxFarm nutes and soils, Hydrofarm lights, heat-mats, etc.

Willow Tree Gardens in University Place carries plenty of local soil mixes, FoxFarm, Earth Juice, and Neptune's Harvest.

The intention is not to bash grow shops, but to show others there are more options. Let's see what hidden gems are around the state.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hey Farmers.

I wanted to get a thread going on some spots here in Washington that carry grow equipment, and are not designated as a grow store. Most beginner growers get intimidated at grow stores as the sales reps try to push the most expensive gear. Sometimes equipment can be purchased at a local hardware store for less than a hydro store, and local nurseries are a great resource for hard to find items.

I just went to McClendon's hardware in Tacoma, and was impressed by the items carried. Beyond items like ProMix and FoxFarm soils, they had lighting (including T-5s) ,smart pots, coco bricks, soil test kits, PH meters, and plenty of gear to build a hydro set-up with an assortment of pumps and pond/sprinkler equipment.

Ace Hardware is another spot that carries equipment for the indoor grower. FoxFarm nutes and soils, Hydrofarm lights, heat-mats, etc.

Willow Tree Gardens in University Place carries plenty of local soil mixes, FoxFarm, Earth Juice, and Neptune's Harvest.

The intention is not to bash grow shops, but to show others there are more options. Let's see what hidden gems are around the state.

This is a great thread, and carries obvious parallels for growers nationwide. Maybe we could start a thread like this for a national audience.

It is good to know that larger hardware stores stock things like coco bricks, because in many states cops actively stake out grow stores to gain leads on who might be growing weed locally.

The cost thing is huge, too- especially when it comes too nutrients!

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Thanks for chiming in ttystikk. Being in med states for the last few years, I've forgotten the fear of going to a grow store, and thinking that it was being staked out. I still check my six when picking up supplies though.

When I first started growing, I picked up everything from a hardware store. I MacGuyvered a 150w security light into a remote ballast grow light, purchased a small wardrobe container, vented it with computer fans, and used high end potting soil as a medium. I bought a FoxFarm two pack at the grow store and was so paranoid. :bag:

Also, for the locals, Gartenmeister plants shop in Puyallup carries Jack's Classic All Purpose 20-20-20 and Blossom Booster 10-30-20.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I wish I could find a Jacks Professional dealer in Colorado. I keep running into suppliers who've discontinued them.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Now is the time of year to ask about nutrient salts at your local greenhouse/grain store/garden supply - chances are any greenhouse/florist can get you whatever salts you want, and the grain/feed/seed stores are carrying everything you could possibly want right now. Keep in mind most of our gear is considered "seasonal items" at these types of places, and they usually have a lot of the things we use on their shelves at this time of year.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

and I don't know many growers at all these days who are spending less than an hour a week at home depot or other hardware stores - they usually have everything you need for your irrigation, electrical, and build-out. Unless you have access to the contractor supply places this is usually the way to go.

jlr42024

jlr42024

Fantastic thread JD this needs to be pin cushioned up top in each state forum at least as the info could be more then invaluable. I cant even tell you all the bs I was talked into purchasing my first trip to the local grow shop. Even walmart gots more then you'd imagine especially online with the option to pick up in store home depot also. Im not sure if its cool but it would be sweet if we could list common items we all use and their price, availability & at which store!

Mogrow

Mogrow

seems i get most of my nutes from the farm store and from my yard or the woods. dandelion, comfrey, watercress etc. from nature. get the alfalfa, kelp, DE, from the feed store. still have to go to the "hydro" store for lights and things. i know a guy that works at an electric supply house but im not comfortable going in there asking about lighting, bet it would be cheaper. can order lights but seems risky.

tweedy

tweedy

Going to check this place out this weekend.

http://mcconkeyco.com/

It is located in Sumner WA.

This fish hydrolysate looks promising.
They have a really good selection of containers and if you ever consider doing any outdoor stuff a lot of access to different greenhouse supplies. I went on a tour of it and got to see the pots being made, it was really interesting :) Huge machines just stamping out an absurd amount of containers.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Hey tweedy. :D

My buddy goes there and buys pots by the pound. Good stuff.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Between homedepot and "Wilco" who needs anywhere else?
I don't know if they have Wilco in Washington but its pretty prevalent here in Oregon.
Any farmers co-op or "feed and seed" has solid amendments, and plenty of hardware stores and nurseries carry full lines of all kinds of liquid nutrients and potting soils.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Thanks for the tip about Wilco Oregon Panda.

It looks like there is one in Battle Ground WA and another in Gig Harbor WA. I'll check them out.

As far as other feed stores in Washington, Del's is a cool store.

Here's a list of locations.

Del's Auburn: 1650 West Valley Hwy. South
Del's Buckley: 117 N. River Ave.
Del's Chehalis: 2585 NE Kresky
Del's Cheney: 2222 First St.
Del's Enumclaw: 911 Griffin Ave.
Del's Ephrata: 1510 Basin St. SW
Del's Longview: 877 3rd Ave.
Del's Monroe: 320 N. Lewis St.
Del's Montesano: 425 E. Wynoochee Ave.
Del's Morton: 630 Airport Way
Del's Olympia: 7720 Old Hwy. 99 SE
Del's Othello: 210 East Columbia St.
Del's Port Orchard: 2585 Mitchell Road S.E.
Del's Puyallup: 308 West Stewart Ave.
Del's Shelton: SE 1043 State Route 3
Del's Spanaway: 20718 Mountain Hwy. E.
Del's Sunnyside: 2600 Yakima Valley Hwy.
Del's Yelm: 16533 Hwy. 507 E.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wish I could find a Jacks Professional dealer in Colorado. I keep running into suppliers who've discontinued them.
We just visited a 'local' nursery, Green Acres out in Folsom, and I saw that they had a whole line of ferts called Jack's. I don't recall it saying Jack's Professional, just Jack's. They also had a whole bunch of other stuff, including Mykos products, Fox Farms (I know, but the moment I see that is the moment I know they're catering to growers), and now I'm drawing a blank on the rest.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Here's a good website to get Jackkin'.

I pay $10 for a 1 lb tub of Jack's at a local nursery, and you can get a 4 lb tub above for $18. Shipping is only $8.

I doubt very much that ordering from this site would raise any red flags. Obviously you cannot grow dank with horticultural fertilizers, you must use "cannabis specific" nutes. Ha!

Here's some Blackwater grown with only Jack's 20-20-20 and 10-30-20.

8 23 13Blackwater1

urbanfog

urbanfog

I know your in WA, but Im sure they have them too......I find lots of goodies via my feedstore. They carry coco, manure's, rice hulls and bulk worms, water test kits ph up and down, pumps etc. Helpful for us since we make semi weekly trips for feed for the critters. And in the past I have used Jacks, have both the bloom and grow, always produced great, but I was in my 2nd run or so and have nothing to base it on. I did find the cost savings of Canna's line(my first attempt at growing) very nice :). I have been using mostly in my veggie garden, because I had read the salts will kill my bene's and I am trying to get the organic stuff worked into my grow.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I need Jacks 5-12-26, in the 25lb bag- they generally don't stock this for retail consumers, it's just too large a size for most. Shit, one bag has lasted me YEARS!

Latest posts

Top Bottom