• Start date
  • Tagged users None
jaynewbie

jaynewbie

Hi guys,

I'm looking advice on how to improve my current setup

This is my current grow tent
tent.png

I'm having issue to drop the temperature to desired level.

Lights off for my babies is from 7am till 7pm then rest is lights on.

During lights on + the ac , temperature is around 29 degree Celsius and during lights off is around 26 degree Celsius .

I've tried a lot of method trying to meet the desired temperature. Harvesting for one of my babies is 2-3 weeks away and i'm planning to use brown paper method to hang it above the tent.

I have 3 oscillating fan and a tower fan

Tower oscillating fan is on the floor to cool the ground , 2 oscillating fan is hanged in the top tier of the tent facing to the plant in opposite direction rotating. The last oscillating fan is facing directly to the LED lamp to cool it off.

During night time, i had to on my portable ac + mini split ac to achieve 24 degree celsius for lights on and 18 during lights off. The bill came out for this month electricity and it almost hit 1 grand...

Is it okay if i put in the AC in the tent , and the exhaust hose for the AC i equipped it with carbon filter? and remove my exhaust fan?

I'm running both veg/bloom switch at the same time since it's flowering

Any advice?

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi guys,

I'm looking advice on how to improve my current setup

This is my current grow tent
View attachment 918285

I'm having issue to drop the temperature to desired level.

Lights off for my babies is from 7am till 7pm then rest is lights on.

During lights on + the ac , temperature is around 29 degree Celsius and during lights off is around 26 degree Celsius .

I've tried a lot of method trying to meet the desired temperature. Harvesting for one of my babies is 2-3 weeks away and i'm planning to use brown paper method to hang it above the tent.

I have 3 oscillating fan and a tower fan

Tower oscillating fan is on the floor to cool the ground , 2 oscillating fan is hanged in the top tier of the tent facing to the plant in opposite direction rotating. The last oscillating fan is facing directly to the LED lamp to cool it off.

During night time, i had to on my portable ac + mini split ac to achieve 24 degree celsius for lights on and 18 during lights off. The bill came out for this month electricity and it almost hit 1 grand...

Is it okay if i put in the AC in the tent , and the exhaust hose for the AC i equipped it with carbon filter? and remove my exhaust fan?

I'm running both veg/bloom switch at the same time since it's flowering

Any advice?
Hi, What is the source of all that heat? The led shouldn't be producing anywhere near 29C - 85f. By using C as your temp I can assume you're not in the USA. Are you living in the desert somewhere? A grand per month? Where are you that you have to pay those rates. With my 1000w hps and my veg room lights with all equipment running I'm at $100/mth and we have some of the highest electrical rates in the country at .15 kwhr. The fans won't cool the room they just move air around and they add heat.

jaynewbie

jaynewbie

Hi, What is the source of all that heat? The led shouldn't be producing anywhere near 29C - 85f. By using C as your temp I can assume you're not in the USA. Are you living in the desert somewhere? A grand per month? Where are you that you have to pay those rates. With my 1000w hps and my veg room lights with all equipment running I'm at $100/mth and we have some of the highest electrical rates in the country at .15 kwhr. The fans won't cool the room they just move air around and they add heat.

I'm from the Asean part . I think the heat is from both LED (Bloom and Veg switch turn on ) and temperature ( average temp during night is 26 and day is 32 degree celsius ) . I tested when turning full spectrum without the cooling, it's hitting 32 celsius during light time ( at night ).

I'm also trying to figure out how to solve and streamline the possible problem to find solution. I have 4 plants btw.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm from the Asean part . I think the heat is from both LED (Bloom and Veg switch turn on ) and temperature ( average temp during night is 26 and day is 32 degree celsius ) . I tested when turning full spectrum without the cooling, it's hitting 32 celsius during light time ( at night ).

I'm also trying to figure out how to solve and streamline the possible problem to find solution. I have 4 plants btw.
Other than more AC I don't know what to say. I have trouble here in the summer when temps get that high as well. I turn down my ballast to its 60% setting to get the heat down as far as I can. Doing that I can get my room down to 83f from 90f and I as you are doing keep the air moving. My humidity gets to be a problem, more than the heat so I had to purchase a better dehumidifier to fix that. I think your plants can handle the heat if the humidity is down and you keep the air moving as you're doing but the fans do add some heat to the room.

jaynewbie

jaynewbie

Other than more AC I don't know what to say. I have trouble here in the summer when temps get that high as well. I turn down my ballast to its 60% setting to get the heat down as far as I can. Doing that I can get my room down to 83f from 90f and I as you are doing keep the air moving. My humidity gets to be a problem, more than the heat so I had to purchase a better dehumidifier to fix that. I think your plants can handle the heat if the humidity is down and you keep the air moving as you're doing but the fans do add some heat to the room.

Some of the strain i see can handle that temperature but not blue dreams and girls scout cookies :(
What is the ballast you're using ? Maybe i can try to invest in one to see the results.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Some of the strain i see can handle that temperature but not blue dreams and girls scout cookies :(
What is the ballast you're using ? Maybe i can try to invest in one to see the results.
If you're having trouble with heat with led lights you wouldn't be able to handle the heat off the hps. I live where its cold 8 months of the year so I can use the heat generated by the lights to keep my room 78f lights on and our home heat is at 68f when the lights are off. This is a pic of my room and light a 1000w hps

Room with light
jaynewbie

jaynewbie

If you're having trouble with heat with led lights you wouldn't be able to handle the heat off the hps. I live where its cold 8 months of the year so I can use the heat generated by the lights to keep my room 78f lights on and our home heat is at 68f when the lights are off. This is a pic of my room and light a 1000w hps

Is that your garage? Damn it looks pretty.

This is my setup. Even with LST, the plants height... went crazy

20191207 222733

bunkerking

bunkerking

uh... 1 grand in power bill?

With a LED light, two fans, and one a/c?

I really struggle to believe you on that.
Its impossible. What is the real total?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Is that your garage? Damn it looks pretty.

This is my setup. Even with LST, the plants height... went crazy

View attachment 918364
No that's in a sub basement it's the oil tank room. I top my plants to promote the under growth, I top then top then top some more then I tie them down until they get big enough to flip to flower. This is a few pics of this grow. 1st pic Cherry bomb 5 months old. #2 is KC39 3 months old #3 is a clone off the first pic (CB) 2 months old turned 2 weeks ago #4 - 2 clones from the top pic (cherry Bomb) 2 months old turned yesterday

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You said you have a minisplit? Move that into the tent. Portables are good for a door stop and running up an electric bill. Bout it. Specially if you arent using a dual hose (which are still semi shit electric wise).

If the mini by itself outside the tent isnt holding the temp in the tent then you undersized the intake/exhaust and/or undersized the mini. 2 - 630's in a 4x8 with passive intake and 8in exhaust holds under 77 with the lights on for me just running ac in the basement that the tent is in. None in the actual tent. This is also including a bunch of dual 1k rooms in the same space.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
No that's in a sub basement it's the oil tank room. I top my plants to promote the under growth, I top then top then top some more then I tie them down until they get big enough to flip to flower. This is a few pics of this grow. 1st pic Cherry bomb 5 months old. #2 is KC39 3 months old #3 is a clone off the first pic (CB) 2 months old turned 2 weeks ago #4 - 2 clones from the top pic (cherry Bomb) 2 months old turned yesterday

Wow! that KC39 looks a lot better in the pic than in real life. I was a bit disappointed in her until I saw this pic. šŸ˜šŸ™‚

bunkerking

bunkerking

uh... 1 grand in power bill?

With a LED light, two fans, and one a/c?

I really struggle to believe you on that.
Its impossible. What is the real total?

Oh nvm i am an idiot. You are over in asia, and thats 1 grand in your local currency. Ill see myself out lol.

jaynewbie

jaynewbie

Wow, that's so lovely. Damn i should adapt topping and firming in my next growth.

You said you have a minisplit? Move that into the tent. Portables are good for a door stop and running up an electric bill. Bout it. Specially if you arent using a dual hose (which are still semi shit electric wise).

If the mini by itself outside the tent isnt holding the temp in the tent then you undersized the intake/exhaust and/or undersized the mini. 2 - 630's in a 4x8 with passive intake and 8in exhaust holds under 77 with the lights on for me just running ac in the basement that the tent is in. None in the actual tent. This is also including a bunch of dual 1k rooms in the same space.

Yeap, but's drilled to the wall and it's hard to dismantle it with so lots of constraint. Before this , i attached the intake air with carbon filter instead of panty hose and that made the temperature desired but i had to remove.

What's the average temperature around your area?

I've got a plan but it might give me 50/50 chances . Will update you

Oh nvm i am an idiot. You are over in asia, and thats 1 grand in your local currency. Ill see myself out lol.

The currency here is crazy brother ... I'm living in a rented place too.

The reason why i have spike electricity bill :-
1 humidifier ( Automated based on RH from the gyrometer )
1 dehumidifier on targeted RH( 24/7 )
3 Oscillating fan ( 24/7 )
1 tower oscillating fan ( 24/7 )
800W Full spectrum ( 12/12 )
Portable AC ( Almost 24/7 but sometimes ill on the mini split a/c in my room combine with the portable ac to reach the desired temp )

I measure the watt every second/daily/weekly , it seems when all of these are running it will take up to 1300w per second

That's why it's close to one grand

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Wow, that's so lovely. Damn i should adapt topping and firming in my next growth.

Yeap, but's drilled to the wall and it's hard to dismantle it with so lots of constraint. Before this , i attached the intake air with carbon filter instead of panty hose and that made the temperature desired but i had to remove.

What's the average temperature around your area?

I've got a plan but it might give me 50/50 chances . Will update you

The currency here is crazy brother ... I'm living in a rented place too.

The reason why i have spike electricity bill :-
1 humidifier ( Automated based on RH from the gyrometer )
1 dehumidifier on targeted RH( 24/7 )
3 Oscillating fan ( 24/7 )
1 tower oscillating fan ( 24/7 )
800W Full spectrum ( 12/12 )
Portable AC ( Almost 24/7 but sometimes ill on the mini split a/c in my room combine with the portable ac to reach the desired temp )

I measure the watt every second/daily/weekly , it seems when all of these are running it will take up to 1300w per second

That's why it's close to one grand
1000watts running for 1hr = .15 cents here in Canada .15cents per kw/hr + 15%tax
. These numbers are just approx if they're like mine

Your humidifier if anything like mine 50 w that's with heated mist. 50w for 20 hrs = .15 cents + tax = .22+- cents per day
Dehumidifier running 24/7 = 300 watts x24 hrs 7200 watts $1.08+-per day + tax
3 small oscillating fans running 24/7 25 watts x3 = 75 watts x 24hrs 1800 watts = .30+- cents per day
Tower fan 40 watts x 24 hrs = 960 watts .14+- cents per day
800 watts if its true watts out of the socket = .12 cents per hr x 12 = $1.44+- per day
Portable AC 1250 watts = .18 cents per hr x 24 = 4.32+- per day

total $6.18 per day x 30 = $185.40+- to = $1000 per month you must be paying close to $2.70 per kw/hr
You're either talking a devalued currency compared to USA/ Canada or your numbers are wrong. 1000 Baht = $33. USA
1000 Hong Kong dollars = $127.70 USA ... now that's closer to reality.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i grew blue dream outdoors last year in triple digit weather,so it can handle extreme weather,highest was right at 105 and they even went threw hurricane harvey,if flowering why not cut some of that heat by turning off the veg light

jaynewbie

jaynewbie

1000watts running for 1hr = .15 cents here in Canada .15cents per kw/hr + 15%tax
. These numbers are just approx if they're like mine

Your humidifier if anything like mine 50 w that's with heated mist. 50w for 20 hrs = .15 cents + tax = .22+- cents per day
Dehumidifier running 24/7 = 300 watts x24 hrs 7200 watts $1.08+-per day + tax
3 small oscillating fans running 24/7 25 watts x3 = 75 watts x 24hrs 1800 watts = .30+- cents per day
Tower fan 40 watts x 24 hrs = 960 watts .14+- cents per day
800 watts if its true watts out of the socket = .12 cents per hr x 12 = $1.44+- per day
Portable AC 1250 watts = .18 cents per hr x 24 = 4.32+- per day

total $6.18 per day x 30 = $185.40+- to = $1000 per month you must be paying close to $2.70 per kw/hr
You're either talking a devalued currency compared to USA/ Canada or your numbers are wrong. 1000 Baht = $33. USA
1000 Hong Kong dollars = $127.70 USA ... now that's closer to reality.

I would say mine is closer to 160 USD x my currency ( 5.8 )=870, close to a grand .
Previously was around 400-500 which is reasonable..

Ever since my AC automation is not hitting the criteria, it's turning the AC almost 24/7 + my mini split unit i use in my room during the night time ( for me to sleep ) and to reach desire temperature of the grow tent . One of the reason electricity went up , and recently i flipped vege + bloom switch for flowering , i realized the LED is sucking 400W per second.

I've set a electric monitoring and for 30 days , i get around 910 Kwh just for the tent + portable ac excluding the mini split ac ( 2.0 HP ).

Go micro šŸ˜€. Looks like I'm going to do not bad for under 150w for the entire setup.

View attachment 918610

Cost less than your pc lol.

Damn, how do you manage to keep your plant so low? LST all the way and flip flower early?

i grew blue dream outdoors last year in triple digit weather,so it can handle extreme weather,highest was right at 105 and they even went threw hurricane harvey,if flowering why not cut some of that heat by turning off the veg light

Odd, i think my issue is my exchange airline. I realize some had

These are symptoms of heat stress and wind stress.
It's mixed, so i'm a little confused.

So even in flowering, 30 degree without Co2 is okay? just that the yield won't be that great ( im okay with it ) ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom