Grow tent air flow problem ? Or everything is ok ?

• Thread starter Pat_Lac
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pat_Lac

Pat_Lac

Hi all ..... new at growing indoors and bought a growtent 3'x3'x5' see picture .

Questions ....
UFO bloomgrow led light 300w full spectrum ..... enough for that tent ?

When i start the light and fan to blow out hot air and close the door the tent begins to build "negative pressure" ? ...... like a submarine "implosion" ... sorry for my bad English .
Is this ok or normal ?
Is my fan to big for the tent ? Don't know what power .

Any info , ideas on how to go from here ?

Seed is in soil .... sprout is out and healthy .... tranfered in a small cup for seedling ...... would like to put under led light and see it grow but pressurising problem ( i think ) .... if not ..... Well here goes nothing . 😉

Thanks for your help .... Pat from the woods.... QC

Grow tent air flow problem  or everything is ok
IhatePM

IhatePM

A little negative pressure is fine. If you don't have a intake to run with the exhaust, you can open one of the screened flaps on side of tent to zero pressure. I personally run an intake and out 24hr on controllers.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi all ..... new at growing indoors and bought a growtent 3'x3'x5' see picture .

Questions ....

When i start the light and fan to blow out hot air and close the door the tent begins to build "negative pressure" ? ...... like a submarine "implosion" ... sorry for my bad English .
Is this ok or normal ?

Seed is in soil .... sprout is out and healthy .... tranfered in a small cup for seedling ...... would like to put under led light and see it grow but pressurising problem ( i think ) .... if not ..... Well here goes nothing . 😉

That light is 100w actual. You want about 30w per sq ft. So no I don't think it will donthat tent at all. At best a 2x2. For that tent about a 250-300w light would be good.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

As far as the tent sides sucking in, I would add a temp controller and only turn the blower on as needed to exhaust hot air. Open up a flap somewhere to let fresh air in at the bottom. Carbon filter at the top of the tent sucking out the hot air. You are going to need some heat protection if you upgrade your lights in such a small tent. You will get big temp swings in such a small space.

Not sure what you are trying to do, if you are trying to grow from seed to flower in this tent, yes you will be disappointed about the lighting, see Aquaman above.

Also, I'd be really careful about the height on that tent if you intend to flower in there. Between your pot coming up and the light coming down, you are going to have no more than 3' vertical grow space. Pick your cultivar wisely and learn LST and cropping ASAP if you have not already.

Pat_Lac

Pat_Lac

Thanks guys .....will upgrade my led light and let a bit of air form the little openings on each sides . What are heat protections for extreme heat ? Is a 400w enough for that tent and yess for the topping or fiming in that small tent ( well .. i'll do my very best to get there .... not to high to get nice colas . ) .

Again great big thanks for your help .

Pat_Lac

Pat_Lac

A little negative pressure is fine. If you don't have a intake to run with the exhaust, you can open one of the screened flaps on side of tent to zero pressure. I personally run an intake and out 24hr on controllers.
Thanks for your help ..... care to show picture ?.... Do you have any intake in mind ? Not sure what you mean by intake for this tent . Thanks again . P.S. Is 400w enough formthat tent or need bigger ..... only one plant a a time t'ill i know what i'm doing . 😉P.S. 2 - controllers ? For what ? is there a faq or a how to .... to get ready for grow tent ? I beleive i need a newb book on how to grow and with what .

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Intake:
If you look at the pic of your tent, there is a white rectangle on the lower left side. It will probably be the back of the tent as you are using it depending on how you have it situated. That is most likely a Velcro flap with a white screen sewn in. That is your cold air intake and can be partially or fully opened as needed.

400W:
You need to be really careful with the cheap amazon lights. 400W does not necessarily mean 400W. Personally I would go with a Spider Farmer or similar thin design to maximize vertical space. They are pretty efficient and do not throw off too much heat. The new ones have a pot to adjust levels, very useful as you are using 1 light for the entire grow.

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Farme...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Controller:
A simple device where you set a temp, plug your blower into it, and it turns the blower on as needed to remove heat from the tent.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-...ds=tent+temp+controller&qid=1603197187&sr=8-4

There probably is a noob section somewhere here, I'm new too so I'll let the veterans chime in.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Questions ....

Is this ok or normal ?

Open a vent in the bottom; buy a speed controller for the fan

Pat_Lac

Pat_Lac

Intake:
If you look at the pic of your tent, there is a white rectangle on the lower left side. It will probably be the back of the tent as you are using it depending on how you have it situated. That is most likely a Velcro flap with a white screen sewn in. That is your cold air intake and can be partially or fully opened as needed.

400W:
You need to be really careful with the cheap amazon lights. 400W does not necessarily mean 400W. Personally I would go with a Spider Farmer or similar thin design to maximize vertical space. They are pretty efficient and do not throw off too much heat. The new ones have a pot to adjust levels, very useful as you are using 1 light for the entire grow.

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Farme...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Controller:
A simple device where you set a temp, plug your blower into it, and it turns the blower on as needed to remove heat from the tent.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-...ds=tent+temp+controller&qid=1603197187&sr=8-4

There probably is a noob section somewhere here, I'm new too so I'll let the veterans chime in.
Thanks for your help .... i actualy bought ( see pic ) this led light ..... knowing that 1000 was wayyyy to much and 600w would be between and probably ok . Will buy this controller for my fan ( thanks again ) . Got great ideas here ............. like this forum very much !

Again great thanks for your help guys .... will show you later on my precious . 😋

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That light is about 150 watts, that's going to be on the low end of what you need in a three-by-three, you might get by in veg but to Bloom with it you might want to consider two of them? Btw for the manufacturer to compare it to a thousand watt hid is simply untrue

Screenshot 20201022 015156 DuckDuckGo

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Buy a real light

it’s the single most important equipment you will have for ur grow

also, try to look elsewhere when amazon

F

Fallindown

Questions ....

Is this ok or normal ?

Aside from the great suggestions below, I 4 pole clips sold by brians3dprinting on Amazon for like $8 I have a Vivosun 5X5. The 16mm clips didn't fit they were a little small. He sent me 19Mm replacements no charge. They clip on each corner and you clip in 1/2 pvc which costs $4 at lowes or Home Disappointment. I actually added another se higher up because they really help the tent stability. Just an easy fix I found as A rookie.

Screenshot 20240210 121628 Gallery
R

RGWD0202

Thanks for your help .... i actualy bought ( see pic ) this led light ..... knowing that 1000 was wayyyy to much and 600w would be between and probably ok . Will buy this controller for my fan ( thanks again ) . Got great ideas here ............. like this forum very much !

Again great thanks for your help guys .... will show you later on my precious . 😋
There was a thread going on earlier today about what light to buy. Some really good advice and options listed in there for the proper lighting with huge range in price point. Check that thread and you’ll find the answer to your light issue. Negative pressure is fine but you need to have one vent open for fresh air to come in to replace what you are removing. Clip fans are also important get spares because they will stop working.

Top Bottom