Grow tent purchase help me decide

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
was going to build a grow room, (wife’s idea) checked dimensions in the basement etc, have 17 years as a contractor (plus have been around it my whole life. Father owned a construction company for 45 years and I worked for him for the 17 years till his retirement, when pricing materials to build the room (MR drywall, studs, doors etc) a single room would run me $500-600 easily (I have the outlets, wire, breakers etc on hand already) but then I checked grow tent prices and was shocked to see I could buy and equivalent size tent for 1/4 the price lol, so say I have a 4’x8’ area to set up (more room available if needed just have a wood stove not too far from the location even though we don’t use it much) (88” tall) what recommendations for tents do y’all have? I’d like to stay under $200-$250 , currently have 2x KingLED 1500w lights, 4” spider farmer vent /carbon filter fan setup id assume the 2x lights side by side could be sufficient for a 8’x4’ grow room (I’d eventually pick up a 3rd light probably but for now I’ll run with 2x

It’s my first indoor grow so I’d like to see what other people found worth the money as far as tents go, durability, setup, layout, for price, preferring would like to get it from Amazon (can’t beat 2 day free shipping) lemme know what y’all have expedite with and recommend!

Last detail I plant to run 6 plants at a time running autos now but may try photos next run

Xebediah

Xebediah

If I had to do it all over again with that kind of budget, I would go with 3/4" PVC pipe with fittings and 6 mil reflective mylar and tarp zippers to create a more customized kind of tent that would be much more convenient to use and easier to modify if necessary. I paid $100 for my tent (used) which is why I use one , but I would've much rather created my own knowing what I know now.

Ponky

Ponky

Looks like Amazon is sold out..but maybe this.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Sounds like you have some options 👍I started off with three 3x3 grow tents, because I was interested in perpetual grows for the space I had. However, with 3 x CMH 315 watt lights, and air circulation and overall environment in the room changed day by day as the room air was my lung room. If the temperatures and/ or humidity level outside changed by even a little, I would be chasing my tail around trying to rig something that would give me back some environmental control. In the end, I decided to build a room big enough to use 2 of my 3 tent frames, and grow from start to finish in one room. I have a hydro cloner in another room, so now I grow with much more ease and control of my environment in a closed grow room. Though this cost me a few dollars to build, with the extra electrical outlets I also needed, I now have an enclosed, environmetally friendly grow room(dual hose AC) and I am even growing with supplemental CO2. It all comes down to dollars, but no more frustrations when weather outside changes frequently

You can always start small and grow your space accordingly. I have enclosed a few photos to help you with your own ideas 👍
Also, you can visit this short video I posted of my last grow.

20220424 131755
20210505 174348
20211123 161752 04
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Whatever you get (and I like my Gorilla Grow 4x4, but Vivosun tents look good too), get one that is tall, and get one that has decently-sized poles for stability. My Gorilla Grow tent has substantially larger diameter tubes than the generic 4x4 I started with a year ago.

The reason I have the GG tent is because my current grow got too tall during flower stretch, and I had to replace the tent mid-grow. GG offers both 1- and 2-foot extension tops to expand vertically. HIGHLY recommended (as an option). Having a tall tent allows for more flexibility in light sizing and placement.

Small detail: Tents have various holes in various places to run ductwork or wiring/tubing through. Usually there is one small opening for wires (and tubing) at the bottom, and if there is only one opening, it may matter which side of the tent it is on. For me, my GG tent has that hole on the right side, which is where I need it as I have a closet right next to it, with feed tubing going into the tent.

Lastly, a little tip. If you do get a tent and have room, leave a couple of feet access on at least the sides, if not the sides and back. With side access you can unzip the panels around the side of the tent to access plants in the back. With a 4x8 tent, getting to the center rear and the corners can be a problem when you need to defoliate and care for plants.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Whatever you get (and I like my Gorilla Grow 4x4, but Vivosun tents look good too), get one that is tall, and get one that has decently-sized poles for stability. My Gorilla Grow tent has substantially larger diameter tubes than the generic 4x4 I started with a year ago.

The reason I have the GG tent is because my current grow got too tall during flower stretch, and I had to replace the tent mid-grow. GG offers both 1- and 2-foot extension tops to expand vertically. HIGHLY recommended (as an option). Having a tall tent allows for more flexibility in light sizing and placement.

Small detail: Tents have various holes in various places to run ductwork or wiring/tubing through. Usually there is one small opening for wires (and tubing) at the bottom, and if there is only one opening, it may matter which side of the tent it is on. For me, my GG tent has that hole on the right side, which is where I need it as I have a closet right next to it, with feed tubing going into the tent.

Lastly, a little tip. If you do get a tent and have room, leave a couple of feet access on at least the sides, if not the sides and back. With side access you can unzip the panels around the side of the tent to access plants in the back. With a 4x8 tent, getting to the center rear and the corners can be a problem when you need to defoliate and care for plants.
That’s the exact reason I chose a 4x8 tent for only 6 plants, helps me control temps and humidity better and I can use a smaller vent fan (4inch) and only run it at 40% and with only 6 plants I have a ton of room if I choose to put them in the middle of the tent I can access the plants from both sides, right now I have all the plants on one side And heaters and fans and vent on the other side (humidifiers x2 in between the pots) I chose larger for flexibility and more layout options opposed to having a smaller tent that I would be struggling to walk in very little temp and humidity variations (I reset that extra monitor every 24 hours)

00FCDDA5 0A0E 453B BD51 39A4B52ACE9E
Blastfact

Blastfact

I have a older 3x3 gorilla and a new gorilla 2x4. The new gorilla is not as good as the older one. I like my tents to be tall. I almost bought a AC Infinity tent. But was not tall enough with no option for a extension kit.

Room2

Top Bottom