Growing Freedom (my first grow)

• Thread starter Frdmgrwr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

Hello everyone, I found this website and the forums here had so much information and people helping each other out I decided I’d join (never joined a forum before) and get in on the fun, especially since I just started my own indoor grow and wanted to document the journey.

I worked at a professional indoor grow for a couple years and got some good hands on experience and learned a decent amount, it felt like I was going to cannabis college. It was a new farm and we were still working out a loooot of kinks, but that just gave me more to learn about.

I grew a single plant outdoors this past season which it turned out beautiful. I love the growing process and taking care of the plant that once It was time for harvest I felt sad that I wouldn’t be able to do this again until next spring. So I thought what the heck I’ll just do an indoor gig. The problem was I had no equipment or a job. But I felt very called to do this and was super excited, so I stayed positive, accepted any opportunities to make some cash and talked to a few people about investing. I managed to acquire everything by early Dec. The only thing I wasn’t able to get by now were some good genetic beans. I was gifted 20+ random beans from dispensary flowers from friends. So on Dec 6th I got some coco amended and dropped some beans figuring it would be better to do a test run of everything before I used my good seeds that are now on their way in the mail! : D

So here I will document this first test run and hopefully learn some things from it and from everyone on here.
Love and peace brothers and sisters.
Here we go!

Here is my sprouting set up. I’m using an old kind led 1000 that was gifted to me from my uncle. Half the bulbs are fried and I only have 120v sockets to plug into but I figured it will make an excellent veg light.
Growing freedom my first grow 3

Growing freedom my first grow 4

Growing freedom my first grow

The first seed popped nearly exactly 48 hours later Dec. 8th
Growing freedom my first grow 2

24 hours later (3rd day) everybody is popped and sending it
Growing freedom my first grow 5

Today Dec. 11 I took off the little humidity domes and turned on my humidifier. Everyone is looking happy.

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

The space chamber is in full send mode. Blessed day cannafam.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

If you are looking for a reputable seed bank i highly no pun recommend OES Oregon Elite Seeds, this co has so many strains by top breeders it's ridiculous, fast friendly service, reasonable prices and allways a free bean or 3.

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

@Edinburgh right on man I appreciate the recommendation. I have my first order of beans on their way now bought from ILGM. I’m excited to build up my own personal seed bank 🔥

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

The past few days have pretty much been auto pilot mode.
4119CAF0 749D 4673 8F5E BCBEB3F17475

I've been making small adjustments to dial in the environment such as opening or closing vents in the tent, trying to keep the humidity up as well as experimenting with floor fan positions. For a couple days I had it so the fan was oscillating so that it would move the mist coming out of the humidifier then move past the plants giving them some action and then it would blow through my radiator heater which helped keep it cooler while still doing its thing.
The humidity wouldn’t get as high as I wanted it to be...seems like it was having a hard time getting past 50% so I moved the fan to where it is blowing at an angle into a corner, making more of a circulation of air happen. The plants have a more constant but more gentle wind resistance going on now and the humidity is able to hit the 70’s and it feels good in there. I’m diggin it.

I had been watering with a spray bottle being real careful to not over water. The babies are loving it.
FAC584E1 E8A5 47E0 8B63 405381518BFD

I checked the bottom of the pots and I could see the tap roots.

28DD0094 8372 469A A320 66FD44CB1734

Last night I decided to give them more of a “full” watering? I poured around the outside edge a couple times and then did a couple pours around the area I have been spray watering. I knew this would be a little different for them but I thought after a full dry day (today) they would really be enjoying the moisture content in the coco. I’ll go back to spray watering for another week or so starting tomorrow.
Tonight I placed all the plants on a crate so some air flow can happen down under. I want that coco to get nice and dry again and soon so I got them elevated in hopes to encourage dryness!
That’s it. I’ll post more pics tomorrow maybe? The true leaves have gotten much bigger in just 3 days and their working on their third set. 🌿

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

I gave the plants about 48 hrs of dry time after the “full” watering, which I’m guessing was around 1/2 cup of water for each.

I payed close attention to how they responded to the watering and over the next couple days I noticed the plants were started to grow in a sort of S shape, not wilty or droopy but almost as if I had tied something to the stalk and was LST them.

Then I realized I had not brought up the light from when I was germinating them...about 12 inches away, and I was like oh...the lights..they are shying away from the lights, so I raised the light to a good 20-24 inches away...ta-da next day they are straightened out and look happy as can be.
Been steady growth since then.

The plants are 12 days surface side today and I’ve been tempted to top them all day but I want to wait until the 25th for a full 2 weeks since popping.

The only other adjustment I’ve made has been changing what water I’m using in my humidifier. After going through @CosmoGrows thread on his grow and the vast amount of information that everyone poured into it; I learned that the water I’m using is definitely leaving a calcium build up in my humidifier, I think it’s on my lights and after taking some pictures tonight I could see white specks all over my plants!

So I am now using spring water that I gather from a local spring, we have a humidifier inside the house and use that spring water and the humidifier has stayed clean with no build up. I figured it will be an upgrade from what I was using. I’ll keep an eye and see if I notice the specks disappear from the leaves as well as on my lights and inside the humidifier.

The roots are looking healthy and happy 💪
2A8D9061 0791 4E3C BBFC 5D09D27EB497

Oh yeah I did do one other thing, I had started these babies in some clear tubberware containers, thinking it’s going to be cool to see the roots. But then I read somewhere about the light coming through the pots which could allow bacteria’s to grow on the containers wall that would inevitably compete with the roots
and good biology that I do want in my pots. So I covered the pots with duct tape...? I think it will do until I transplant them into their full time home ( 3 gal smart pots )

F46FAC7A A90B 4900 9B20 846C8E4155BE

12 days
B8CBA309 0063 43DA B0FF 770625CA9111

CC51780F 2A08 412A 96A6 76AB6BC26B98

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

Alright so we’re at day 19 with these sweeties and it looks like they are loving life.
Beautiful fuzzy white roots are circling the pot and even starting to grow upwards looking for the water.
I topped them all on the 25th and it looks like they are out of shock and shooting out new growth from all those lower branch sites.
Since being topped I have been watering each plant with 100-150ml sprayed on top of the coco out of a spray bottle.
Its been cool being able to see into the the side of the pots a little. After I water I can see the moisture in the coco and get a visual as to how deep the water gets absorbed and pulled down into the coco. At 150ml the water makes it just passed halfway through towards the bottom, right about where the roots that have begun growing back up are reaching.

So since these plants are coming from random seeds from a dispensary, I’m not sure whether they are feminized photo’s or what? Could they turn out male? Idk. I was considering this a practice run anyways and was more concerned with dialing in the environment. They look beautiful and hope they all turn out to be ladies and make fat nugs.. but anyway... Im feeling pretty good with my environment control, I just rigged my ducting to my exhaust fan and have that running for 30 minutes on low every six hours or so just to clear out air. Every since starting up my 3 gal smart pots and using all the biological fertilizer it’s smelled more musky so I wanted to start clearing out the air in the space.

Now I have five 3gal smart pots filled, Im using Mother Earth brand coco/perlite mix...I think it’s like a 80-20% premix...heres the recipe:
15 gal coco&perlite

4 cups bio live 5-4-2

2 1/2 cups Dr earth all purpose 4-6-5

1 1/2 cup dr earth flower girl 3-9-4

I didn’t fill my pots all the way up so there probably is closer to 12 or 13 gal of coco but whatevs.

I have some auto flower sour d seeds from ilgm aaaand I decided it was time to get them growing. Now I’ve been thinking a lot as to what I will do with autos and photo’s growing in the same tent... and I’m still not sure and am completely open to advice. So far I like the idea of basically just keeping them in veg throughout the auto grow...keeping the lights at 18-6 all the way through letting the autos flower, harvest them and then switch the lights to 12-12 and flower these 3 randoms...if they are all female when it’s all said and done. ??? I also thought they may be good to practice taking clones from and getting better at that whole art form. because I do want to do pheno hunting and get into genetics eventually so I gotta know how to do good clones..gotta start somewhere.
welp theres what’s up. I got 3 of the 5 auto poking out the coco.. lights go off at 2pm I’ll check right before and hope everyone made the journey by then.
Jah bless! Happy New Year.

20123466 960A 4DC2 AD1E 4EB30DDFB28B

0810C1C9 7153 474C 8ABF 6ACC3D0D7754

CFDBE8D4 5519 4FD8 9217 B865071E5D72

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

Boom..week 3! Here we are. I feel so happy for the plants and how they are growing. Watching the roots thicken up inside the pots more and more each day has been..mezmerizing.
I just realized I get more true colors in my photos with the flash on. So now we can see really what’s going on.
EC6A4979 4DE0 42E6 8026 EBFAF3EE9035

All 3 babies look just perfect. The middle one seems to be the least healthy. I have noticed some damage on one of the fan leaves..maybe I nipped it when topping but I don’t think so.. but otherwise the plant looks good. It has sort of a droopy energy to it...doesn’t pray as hard as her sisters ;)
Here is the one whom I consider is growing the healthiest, she’s just on total send mode.

EDC0DB5C C6E9 4152 A2C0 211C32AC5AE7

I was looking at this plants growth and wondered how’d it look if I pulled the top over and down in a LST kinda way and I really liked how it looked so I decided I’d rig a little LST to her.. I’m happy with how it looks and Im excited to see how the plant responds.

7BB06553 1854 49D4 AD79 B4D3EBB9C539

mhmm pretty sweet :)

B69440E9 89FC 438C BB52 477938A920BD

Bazow! I watered the plants with abooout 200ml each tonight..maybe a little less for the middle, probably 150. I’ve been watering with ph’d spring water..or filtered tap water also ph’d to 6.0-6.4. I have a cheap amazon ph pen and it is f’d up..when it turns on the numbers go all over the place and then stop at 0.43 every time..I calibrated the pen with the packets it came with but it’s doing this now so I just do the math for the ph I actually want...looking into Bluelab products now..

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

As for the 5 ILGM Sour Diesel auto flowers....it’s been an awkward 3...4? Days.. so 2 of the 5 have popped and look healthy.
43590341 5DEE 4A07 B26E 7B1E9217A83B

There is 2 that as soon as they popped up I could tell we’re kind of funked out.. the stem coming from the shell was really thin and brown and then it looked a little healthier going into the coco..on both of them. The lights turn of and I decide after an hour to go look at them and I see they were totally slumped over and almost looked like they were pinched at the base..they didn’t really look like they would make it...
I put some dry coco from the edge of the pot around these two sprouts and basically re-buried them. Just so the little green tips were poking out of the soil and I spray watered them in..
today I see minor improvements in these two...more so in one than another..we shall see. I feel maybe I didn’t plant them deep enough..?

822CBBBC 2204 4805 A7BD 3BC2E8CECBF8

:/ it’s just a wee little brown stem comin out..I think this one ^is worse off than the other…
C8A76025 FC18 43CD B6E2 50DB0FF14D83

this one ^ recovered a lot since I buried it....
land there is the fifth one who is a late popper but looking healthy so that’s what’s up. Got 3...I think.. problem free germinations with these autos..I’ll say my prayers to the Ganja Goddess tonight and hope the other two are divinely stimulated to send it!!!

9367EDD6 C226 4022 83AB FDD7908106F4
F62A96AA 8834 40ED AAB8 44430C106F25
6C97EC25 7BC4 4A08 81E8 A2A53ED189DF
Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

Let’s see we’re at week 4 today/tonight
so far I have topped the plants once each @ two weeks old
i did LST to two of them 3 or 4 days after topping...I didn’t need to do any of this yet but it’s all a learning experiment here and I wanted to play with some techniques.
admittedly, I have had trouble having these 3 photo periods vegging in the same tent as the autoflowers I’m...err trying to germinate/sprout/grow.
im thinking it’s mostly the light..
I took out my half power burnt out kind led and turned on my vivosun 600w veg/bloom led..
but...BEFORE I changed lights my older girls were starting to show yellowing tips on both older fan leaves and some of the new growth.

090D34F8 9CDE 4E73 B938 22DD7604E42E
7734CF7F DA14 469B 8583 1B557143AE94

7BE73274 6E11 4253 BC52 86D5C7F6C829

im thinking it’s either light burn or a deficiency... there is a slight clawing downward to some of the leaves as well..
Last night I decided I’d do a top dressing for the babies. I used a small tbsp of biolive 5-4-2 and dr earth all purpose 4-6-5
i had amended the coco Lightly before I planted but I’m thinking the plants have used up most of the nutes.
the plants look good this morning, not much of a change over night but we’ll see how the new growth keeps comin out.

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

I got a 2x2x3 tent today, I bought it intending on making it a veg tent..and it will be in the future. But today I realized there were some changes that had to be made.
I have had everything going in a 4x4x6 tent. Inside a room that gets pretty cold, so I’ve had a heater in the tent.
on super low, one that turns off when it gets warm enough in the room..so I thought it should be fine to leave cruising plugged in 24/7...
it was good for the environment..everything was perfect in that sense.
It was not electricity efficient whatsoever...
big electric bill...like woah..
must. change. now.
-without the heater in the tent the temps fluctuate way too much and stay too low-

And as of today only 2 out of my 5 autoflowers have successfully sprouted and have made it to true leaf...
unknown causes of failed germination..

my theory is I buried them too shallow.

so anyways, today I set up the new small tent and moved my 2 autos and 3 random photoperiods into it.
i have a vivosun 600w veg/bloom hanging up
it all seems a little crammed.
especially once the autos take off...definitely can’t keep vegging the photos in this tent for another 9 weeks...
eh we’ll see how it all plays out.
even though they were free and are random genetics, I’m feeling a little more invested in the photos.
id almost just rather focus on flowering them when the time is right and just help the autos do their thing the best I can.
its not all working out as planned but I’m definitely learning some things..

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I use low voltage non-light emitting reptile heating bulbs with great success inside my tents, however they must be used with ceramic fixtures

Moshmen

Moshmen

i did LST to two of them 3 or 4 days after topping...I didn’t need to do any of this yet but it’s all a learning experiment here and I wanted to play with some techniques.
admittedly, I have had trouble having these 3 photo periods vegging in the same tent as the autoflowers I’m...err trying to germinate/sprout/grow.
I took out my half power burnt out kind led and turned on my vivosun 600w veg/bloom led..
but...BEFORE I changed lights my older girls were starting to show yellowing tips on both older fan leaves and some of the new growth.

View attachment 927574View attachment 927575
View attachment 927576

im thinking it’s either light burn or a deficiency... there is a slight clawing downward to some of the leaves as well..
Last night I decided I’d do a top dressing for the babies. I used a small tbsp of biolive 5-4-2 and dr earth all purpose 4-6-5
i had amended the coco Lightly before I planted but I’m thinking the plants have used up most of the nutes.
the plants look good this morning, not much of a change over night but we’ll see how the new growth keeps comin out.
I don’t know a lot but that clawing and dark green foliage is probably to much nitrogen

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter

View attachment 927574View attachment 927575
View attachment 927576

I'm seeing what looks like signs of spider mite damage. Sometimes they spin little webs under the leaves that will cause clawing like that, too. Get a magnifying glass and check under your leaves carefully for anything like eggs or little dots that move those are spider mites.

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

I'm seeing what looks like signs of spider mite damage. Sometimes they spin little webs under the leaves that will cause clawing like that, too. Get a magnifying glass and check under your leaves carefully for anything like eggs or little dots that move those are spider mites.

I agree it does look like spider mite damage: the splotchy discolored areas on top of the leaves; which I believe would be from their webs holding their eggs?? , the slight downward claw on the edges. But examining the underside of the leaves they look healthy and clean. I’ve seen a fair amount of spider mite action at a commercial grow I worked at 😑 I’ll for sure keep this in mind though and be very thorough in my under leave examinations. Thanks for the heads up in that direction 👊🏼

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

I don’t know a lot but that clawing and dark green foliage is probably to much nitrogen

that was my first thought. i amended the coco so lightly before planting I thought for sure they’d be more hungry than anything. I did already top feed them a couple days ago..so if it’s too much they should get worse and we’ll know then haha, appreciate the lookin out growmie.

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

I use low voltage non-light emitting reptile heating bulbs with great success inside my tents, however they must be used with ceramic fixtures

cool beans! I like this idea. i will look into it. Thank you!

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

Also...the leaves have speckles and debris on the the tops but I think it’s just from a dirty infrastructure. Shit blowing from my fans and the old LED I was using I saw after taking it out that the fans on top were quite filthy and the bulbs all had a coating of white powdery crap on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom