Growing from seeds using 1" rockwool and floros - help?

• Thread starter djcronos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

djcronos

Hi all,

I have some seeds on order and just picked up my grow setup to turn these seeds into some wonderful mothers. I've only grown from clones before, so I've been doing my homework, picked up what I (think I) need, and am going to start in a couple days.

I have a 4x4 grow tent, 4 gallon pots, a 4' 6 bulb T5 lighting system, three trays with domes, 1" rockwool cubes, and some Roots Organic 707 soil.

I want to make sure I have everything down, step by step. Please let me know if I'm on the right track, or if I'm missing (or adding) steps.

1) Take the seeds, place them in their own wet paper towel and throw them in the closet for a day or two.

2) Once the seeds crack, take them out of the paper towels and place them in pH balanced 5.5 1" rockwool cubes. Place them in the trays, cover them with the domes and leave the vents open.

3) Place the trays on the floor of the grow tent, with the T5 lights 4' from the trays

4) Move the lights down a tiny bit every day or so. Make sure the rockwool cubes are moist, but not super damp to avoid mold, and never bone dry. Somewhere in the middle.

5) Once they have sprouted and are rooted pretty well, place the 1" rockwool cubes into the 4 gallon pots with soil

6) Water the 4 gallon potted plants once a week, but the soil should never be too dry.

Is there anything I am missing? Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks a bunch!

D

djcronos

Thanks irie. I actually didn't know how I was going to be able to test the pH and ppm of soil. I already have a few ppm and ph meters, so I'm good on that area. Didn't know about how to test though, thanks again!

D

djcronos

So other than that, am I on the right track? Anything else I'm missing?

lollipopman

lollipopman

djcronos i use rockwool cubes to start but i soak my cubes for 24hrs with 5.5ph and 1 tsp of grow always have 100% growth and never had mold...

D

djcronos

Like Advanced Nutrients 3 part grow? I hear some people use H2O2 - I have medical grade h2o2 I bought from the hydro store, I think it's like 35% h2o2 or something. Is that needed?

P

peabody

djcronos the one thing i see that might cause a problem is you said vents open on dome. yes you need fresh air but the humidity is important. just pay attention to the moisture on the inside of the dome. If you find to much moisture wipe it out an open the vents a little at a time. you can B12 the inside of the dome. i think that is right might want to check for sure . myself i like roots organic sereny for getting things off to a good start. an transplanting seems to take the shock factor down a bit. hope this helps . just anewbe myself grow green an stay happy!

D

djcronos

Just an update I placed the seeds in 1" rockwool today. Took 2 days for the seeds to crack using the paper towel and plastic bag method. Should I run my 4 bulb 4" t5 lighting system 24/7 or 18/6? I was planning on 24/7.

Also how far down inside the rockwool should the seeds be placed? I placed them about 1/8" down, and tried to cover the top of the seed as best as possible with the rockwool. Is it okay if the seed gets a little light, or does it need to be completely covered?

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

In your original post you said you were starting your t-5's 4' above trays. Way too high. I put my cracked beans in styros with my t-5's 8"-10" high at the most and no problems. Keeps the air above medium right around 80*. Start with a foot away tops. Will keep seedlings squatter. 1/4" works good and easier to cover. Light is not good on beans. 24/7 is my way. sarge

Latest posts

Top Bottom