Growing in the Midwest vs Florida

• Thread starter FLTHCFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FLTHCFarmer

FLTHCFarmer

Had several successful indoor crops while living in the Midwest. Moved to Florida growing the same Fox Farm soil (Ocean Forest & Light Warrior 2:1) and FF nutrients, yet the results have been less than satisfactory. Many of the plants' upper leaves turn yellow and curl. the Indica buds are light and airy producing a short term high. Anyone suggestions?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Had several successful indoor crops while living in the Midwest. Moved to Florida growing the same Fox Farm soil (Ocean Forest & Light Warrior 2:1) and FF nutrients, yet the results have been less than satisfactory. Many of the plants' upper leaves turn yellow and curl. the Indica buds are light and airy producing a short term high. Anyone suggestions?
I'd used FFOF exclusively for several years with good results. Back in the Fall of 2020 I bought a dozen bags after a shortage of several months. Those bags gave me similar results to what you're stating. The word at my local grow store and from others on here is that there was a formula change and since then many people have had issues. I tried adding dolomite lime to it with some success but I didn't really get rid of the problem until I switched soil mixes.

I'm using Roots Organic "Lush" with a little extra perlite added for drainage and a Fish Sh!t/Real Grower's Recharge "tea" during watering. The difference is night and day!

FLTHCFarmer

FLTHCFarmer

Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with Real Growers recharge tea. Where would I find it?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks, I'll check it out.
I realize it's not the answer you were looking for. For me, it was the easiest way to fix it.

I believe some bags of FFOF are not properly buffered and wasn't caught by quality control. If you're able to determine that your soil has the proper pH, then it would not be soil related. Some people are still reporting that their FFOF falls where it should be (between 6.2- 6.5). If you don't have a soil pH probe, you can check the difference between the pH of your water going in and what the pH of your run-off is and that will give you an idea if it's out of range. If your pH is correct, I would be looking at other issues.

Pictures would be helpful.
Your lighting, your watering habits, your choice of nutrients, temps and your water source would be helpful information too.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I moved from the Carolinas to MI. The FFOF in the Carolinas was considerably different than the stuff I can get now. I don't know if it's a recipe change over time, or if the difference is still there today. The Carolina stuff was hotter.

Roots Organics soils are pretty good relatively cheap. I haven't tried Lush.

H

HydroDawg421

heat & humidity .. welcome to the South!!! That's why I have an indoor sealed grow!!!

FLTHCFarmer

FLTHCFarmer

heat & humidity .. welcome to the South!!! That's why I have an indoor sealed grow!!!
One reason we moved to Florida for the warmth and humidity. You're right the plants don't like it though. Last grow I piped in cool air from the A/C vent with some flexible dryer tubing into my 4x2' grow tent. Dropped the humidity down nicely.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

One reason we moved to Florida for the warmth and humidity. You're right the plants don't like it though. Last grow I piped in cool air from the A/C vent with some flexible dryer tubing into my 4x2' grow tent. Dropped the humidity down nicely.
I do that during Michigan summers. There's only been a couple of weeks that I ran both AC and dehumidifier together. Hopefully you don't need one, but if you do, a dehumidifier in the room your tent is in would get your through the days when the air outside is so muggy, you can slice it with a knife.

H

HydroDawg421

invest in a Mr. Cool mini-split A/C system. & a Quest dehumidifier. You won't regret it!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom