Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help?

• Thread starter CATTatonicgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CATTatonicgrows

I’m growing in a 70/30 coco perlite mix in a 5 gallon bucket. I didn’t know about buffering coco when I started my grow. I have one plant in a 32”x32x63 tent. I have two clones from her that are in buffered coco and they look great. Is there a way to buffer up coco after the fact or what can I do? I use general hydroponics flora trio and cal-mag. I follow M. J COCO’s feeding charts and I keep my ph 5.7-6.2. Or do I have other issues? This issue seems to have progressed as I am in the 5th week of flower. Ty for any info you can give ty.
Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help

Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help 2
Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help 3
Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help 4
Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help 5
Growing in unbuffered coco can you buffer up coco in flower stage please help 6
C

CATTatonicgrows

I also trimmed the stressed and dying Leaves. I feed twice a day removing my run off and I have the ec around 1.3

2Bad

2Bad

I followed the same feed schedule when I did my first 2 grows in coco. The same thing happened to me burnt tips . Sadly your plant doesnt have many leaves left and they need that to grow bigg. It could also just be the strain. @Aqua Man what do you think he/and I did wrong? Was our ec too high?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

2Bad

2Bad

Looking back at my photos my second grow wasn't that bad. A couple white tips on some strains probably from it being 80-95 in the room in the summer. It's funny how memories can be distorted in just 7-8 months.

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

I've used coco that wasnt properly flushed/buffered before in a sub irrigated planter. Everything was fine for 4 weeks or so of veg and then she exhibited a number of deficiencies. I think because the water in the reservoir had the proper pH/ec, I was able to get away with it until the roots were taking it from the saturated coco. I flushed the media with pH'd water from the top instead of watering from the bottom and the pH was over 6.5 and ec was over 2.0. It took a LOT of pH'd water before the coco runoff was the same as being put in and then I went back to sub irrigating. With typical DTW I think you would want to flush with feeding solution until your runoff is where you want it.*
Second pic is 2 weeks after the first
*Disclaimer: I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, i only offer my personal experience

20221203 232504
20221218 074222
2Bad

2Bad

I've used coco that wasnt properly flushed/buffered before in a sub irrigated planter. Everything was fine for 4 weeks or so of veg and then she exhibited a number of deficiencies. I think because the water in the reservoir had the proper pH/ec, I was able to get away with it until the roots were taking it from the saturated coco. I flushed the media with pH'd water from the top instead of watering from the bottom and the pH was over 6.5 and ec was over 2.0. It took a LOT of pH'd water before the coco runoff was the same as being put in and then I went back to sub irrigating. With typical DTW I think you would want to flush with feeding solution until your runoff is where you want it.*
Second pic is 2 weeks after the first
*Disclaimer: I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, i only offer my personal experience
Yea weird experience. Aqua and I grow in coco unbuffered all the time.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea weird experience. Aqua and I grow in coco unbuffered all the time.
Yeah imo it wasn’t the coco buffering it was the watering frequency and volume, nutrien concentration and ratio. Coco is pretty inert and i dont think you can even buy coco that isn’t rinsed these days. You dont need to buffer coco… atleast any wuality coco that is

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
I once ordered cheap coco bricks and they were still full of sand, broken glass and the worst, heavily loaded with seasalt. That's well over what my meter read, even after the first flush the meter was still out of its measuring scope. So like EC=10 in NaCl. pH was over 8. Seeds all failed 0/10, good I used birdfood for that hehe. Washing consumed much time, water and then I had to buffer it to get the pH right and get some Mg in. Also the consistency sucked, was too "powdery". There's a real difference from professional baged cocos that should come delivered "ready to use". Even if it has a slight EC (e.g. BB Cocos will read about 0,6), that's the buffering. And way better texture as the dust got filtered out, and the medium sized particles remain.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I once ordered cheap coco bricks and they were still full of sand, broken glass and the worst, heavily loaded with seasalt. That's well over what my meter read, even after the first flush the meter was still out of its measuring scope. So like EC=10 in NaCl. pH was over 8. Seeds all failed 0/10, good I used birdfood for that hehe. Washing consumed much time, water and then I had to buffer it to get the pH right and get some Mg in. Also the consistency sucked, was too "powdery". There's a real difference from professional baged cocos that should come delivered "ready to use". Even if it has a slight EC (e.g. BB Cocos will read about 0,6), that's the buffering. And way better texture as the dust got filtered out, and the medium sized particles remain.
Yeah that fine pith i think they call it sucks to grow in. You want the nice big fliffy stuff. I recommend canna coco the bagged stuff ready forbuse because its also certified pest free. Im sure there are others now though.

when i use tge bricks of canna i found rinsing that fine powder out is beneficial.

but the fact he went quite aome time before any issue happened leads me to be pretty sure it wasn’t the coco

2Bad

2Bad

I always use bricks and to be honest whatever the cheapest is on amazon

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Yeah I had them from Amazon, too, like 20 or more bricks. When I found out about the EC I wrote the vendor an angry message, and he refunded me and I could keep them. That works great on Amazon they are always so worried about getting a negative review there ahaha

2Bad

2Bad

Yeah I had them from Amazon, too, like 20 or more bricks. When I found out about the EC I wrote the vendor an angry message, and he refunded me and I could keep them. That works great on Amazon they are always so worried about getting a negative review there ahaha
LMAO! Good idea i've never done that. I usually just give bad reviews lmaooo

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Same, that's why I assumed it was unbuffered. Now I have to wash the coco with twice its volume (I.e. 4 gallons of water for 2 gallon pot of coco/perlite) before the runoff matches input.
I'm waiting on a Viagrow brick I ordered thru Home Depot for $25, it's advertised as buffered, that would save me a coupla hours so fingers crossed. They sell bags of loose coco too but I try to save a buck wherever I can.

Top Bottom