Growing outside, effective Deer and rabbit treatments.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimmie

Jimmie

hit the reply button too quick. That’s my veggie and flower garden. Tons of deer and rabbits. I found a fence is the best and only protection.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Why not try urine.

Preditor urine.
I think urine is certainly useful, but it doesn't stick around as well as something a little more rotten, rain tends to wash it away. Cat urine is probably better, make use of the litter box, perhaps.

But I do think a multifaceted approach is going to work best. As was pointed out above, deer really are animals of habit, and there simply going to be driven by needs above all else, so willing to put themselves in harms way for a little while remaining on alert, and allowing instinct to dominate.

I really think the key here is giving them something smell, perhaps something sound, and visual, so your eliciting a response with all senses on alert, and try to used a multipronged strategy. No doubt providing another readily available food source might perhaps be helpful, if it can sustain them, or it could result in simply drawing them, in masse, to the very place your trying to avoid. That's the wildcard with feeding IMO.

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

Gday Frank down here in Tassie land we spread dog shit around the outside of our crops well I did anyway with great success u say you have mountain lions or cougars try using some of there scat and see how ya go works for us I also use a cage when bush growing aswell👍

Jimmie

Jimmie

I wouldn't be surprised to find them jumping in there someday. But they would have to figure out there's something worthwhile first. I've seen deer jump 6 foot fences easily many times.
Hey Frankster, in the video of the buck I posted there’s a 9’ deer fence just out of the picture. Pretty much every farm here is deer fenced. Luckily none jumped into my garden yet!

freezeland2

freezeland2

Alright, 2 plants got nabbed today, but it looks like the 4 legged type. Help me here people, I want to nip this in the bud so to speak, and yes, I'm actually growing close to the deer and rabbit trails, so I know this is going to be an issue going forward.

I see Plantskydd, Bobbex and Deer and Rabbit spray, they look like there effective.

Any advice? Please share.

My cat usually only nibbles, so I stick a pant in front for him for that purpose, but he's not a problem. But when I go out there and the entire plant is missing, that's a problem.
Remington 270

Latest posts

Top Bottom